Sit up straight......

Arkan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200611...ntsitupstraight

The longstanding advice to "sit up straight" has been turned on its head by a new study that suggests leaning back is a much better posture.

Researchers analyzed different postures and concluded that the strain of sitting upright for long hours is a perpetrator of chronic back problems.

Using a new form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), researchers studied 22 volunteers with no back pain history. The subjects assumed three different positions: slouching; sitting up straight at 90 degrees; and sitting back with a 135-degree posture

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I've leaned forward for so long that my spine is twangled and curved. It's not like I can't sit straight, but I prefer my L-posture. I walk straight though, it looks less creepy in public.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Whenever I stand up straight I get all giddy from the fresh air.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And in a few years some scientist will tell us that sitting tilted backwards is bad because in can damage the spine at the neck level from keeping your head straight.

Pfff. Science.  :crazy:

Good point. But more people suffer from chronic back problems than neck problems.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

And in a few years some scientist will tell us that sitting tilted backwards is bad because in can damage the spine at the neck level from keeping your head straight.

Good point. But more people suffer from chronic back problems than neck problems.

You're telling this to a man who's been to 5 AC/DC concerts... ^_^

You're telling this to a man who's been to 5 AC/DC concerts... ^_^

You aren't more people.

musik.gif

The quoted article doesn't contain all the details: knees should be below the hips, and the lumbar should be supported, too.

Lucky me, last time I checked my legs, my knees were still below my hips. Actually, they were located at the end of my thighs :shifty:

As for leaning back... I'll print this one out and show it to the CEO next time he asks why the heck I'm just sitting there, leaning back on my chair :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I propose a theory of Intelligent Sitting.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The quoted article doesn't contain all the details: knees should be below the hips, and the lumbar should be supported, too.

Lucky me, last time I checked my legs, my knees were still below my hips. Actually, they were located at the end of my thighs :blink:

As for leaning back... I'll print this one out and show it to the CEO next time he asks why the heck I'm just sitting there, leaning back on my chair :)

It's quite common for people to have their knees on the same level as, or even above, their hips when seated.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have upper spine problems...a lot of back advice doesn't apply to me, as it's usually geared for lower back pain.

I'm most comfortable on my side or during a gymnastics-like hands over the head on the floor back-arch, but it's pretty hard to type that way. ^_^

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wow I read that too... well, I guess its always best to move around, and not always slouching or sitting straight. Stretching does wonders I hear :lol:

That's actually good advice. One should get up and take a break every hour or so: stretch and give the mind a small break, too. This helps to re-focus.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT