the end of the world

taks

hehe, my advisor just asked me to teach Communications Theory I next semester. as if the world wasn't strange enough already. the first comm class is probably junior level (i think that's when i took it) though it is an elective here (it was required where i got my undergrad). that's good because i'll only have kids that are willing to take the class... hopefully.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i'm not sure if congrats are really in order, but thanks. the school needs lecturers for lower level classes and i'm a phd student that's finished with classes and a) i've taken nearly every comm/signal processing class available and b) i've been doing comm/signal processing professionally for 11 years. no-brainer i suppose.

i've heard teaching forces you to pick up on all the minutae that you normally don't use. you have to be able to answer all the seemingly innocuous questions and put them in terms a noob understands. it'll be a lot of work, but i think it will help in the long run.

the book i'll probably be using was written by my current advisor along with my MS co-advisor (not my decision, but i'd pick it anyway). as a result, i'm very familiar with the material and probable course outline.

taks

i'm 38.

taks

A good age. ^_^

And congrats, sounds like a hopefully fun new experience for you? My brother loves teaching (he teaches 16-18 y.o's) - and I think he'd agree that it does "force you to pick up on all the minutae that you normally don't use."

Either that, or you learn how to give amusing and sincere variations of the phrases "Good question!" and "I'm not entirely sure." :cat:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Teaching college kids non-survey courses.... now that's the life! You should have people who are genuinely interested in the subject material, and the truly determined students who are paying their own way will be a bonus. Now how to deal with the trust fund fratbags who are just killing time until the next kegger...

Dude, do you even know who I am? My dad owns a dealership, dude!

Make sure to schedule a few tests during "pledge week." :cat:

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I taught junior university courses in Java programming, though I was a TA, not a lecturer >_<

First time I've got a freshmen class, who were not even sure why they were taking this class or were taking it because it is compulsory. It was very exhausting to work with them. However, next semester natural selection has done its job and I've got a better class.

I've only taught johnny foreigners whilst abroad. I thought they were fantastic. You couldn't make me teach in the UK if you put a gun to my head. I have respect and puzzled admiration for anyone who does.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You should have people who are genuinely interested in the subject material, and the truly determined students who are paying their own way will be a bonus.

yes and no. since electrical engineering is such a diverse field, with probably a dozen valid "sub-fields," you often get kids taking the class as a requirement, even though they don't intend to follow up with the class as a career choice. that said, this class is an elective, so you're correct that i'll have students that want to be there.

Now how to deal with the trust fund fratbags who are just killing time until the next kegger...

Dude, do you even know who I am? My dad owns a dealership, dude!

Make sure to schedule a few tests during "pledge week." >_<

i'm not sure UCCS has fraternities. it is more of a commuter school (though 8000 students or so). all the trust-fund fratbags (we refer to them as fraternities, btw. :*) are up at CU-Boulder (same school system).

taks

I taught junior university courses in Java programming, though I was a TA, not a lecturer >_<

not much of a difference other than pay. the TAs typically are on some sort of "fellowship" which means free classes and not much money. i have no interest in such a fellowship as i am a working engineer. this class, should i choose to accept it (MI), will be a time killer.

First time I've got a freshmen class, who were not even sure why they were taking this class or were taking it because it is compulsory. It was very exhausting to work with them. However, next semester natural selection has done its job and I've got a better class.

comm 1 is taught after both circuits classes, and an intro to signals and systems, so natural selection has already taken its toll on the students. compulsory classes are probably more of a pain.

taks