Managing your PC and NPCS

ramza

Ok, I am creating this particular thread in order to discuss all kinds of character building issues either for the PC or for the NPCs. So don't hesitate to ask your own questions here! :)

I had a question concerning the multiclassing possibilities offered to your NPCs. So far we only know that the dwarf can become a monk, but what about the others? Taks told me that there are some in-game messages appearing on the loading screens that gave hints about who might become what. He gave me the example of Neeshka who might become an assassin.

Has anyone else noticed those messages? I would greatly appreciate it if everyone could contribute to this thread by posting all hints he/she thought seeing in the game. I am sure that this will help everyone in terms of party managment and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance for your answers! Cheers! :aiee:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

To clarify things, Khelgar does not multiclass into a monk. If you choose to go the Monk route with Khelgar, it resets his level back to level 1, with Monk as his class. He still keeps his experience, so you can quickly level him back up to where he was, but he's not a Fighter/Monk.

I'm not sure why they did it this way, but that's the way it was done.

As far as other NPCs, I'm unaware of any of them having the option to have their class changed after my first playthrough with the game.

Edited by alanschu

third topic with the same question?

we really need a PC build thread though.

I deleted my old topic and created this one instead. I already got Darque's authorization for creating such a thread, so there won't be any problems. Besides, the topic is general and specialized enough to have its own thread. Here you can discuss anything about your main character's development for example.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I am hesitating between creating a barbarian or a sorcerer and I will definitaly give them levels in both the Shadow Thief and NwnNine prestige classes. I guess my character won't be that terrific but i am planning to use the cheat in order to have 5 NPCs in my party, so who cares ? ^_^

I have a feeling that unless you actively try to sabotage your character, you should have no problems with the game with most character builds.

I went through as just a plain ol' Rogue/Assassin, and until I got hide in plain site I wasn't particularly uber-strong. Qara melts faces though.

I haven't gotten any multi-class options for Neeshka either and I've done her sidequest afaik. I don't think any NPC can multiclass.

I also have a speculation as to why they developed Khelgar the way they did. If he just multi-classed, wouldn't he kinda suck? Like really, really suck? Monks and fighters aren't exactly compatible classes if you ask me. Basically all feats and special abilities from one of the two classes would be wasted.

My Rogue 10/Fighter 4/Shadowdancer 1/ Shadow Thief 5 feels very strong though. Easily outdamages any of the fighters in melee and has fairly decent AC (even with light armor). Does a lot of sneak attack damage. Not quite as powerful vs undead, but still more than decent. A little low on hitpoints, but with a ring of regeneration and the shard bonuses it's enough to stay alive for the most part.

Still can't compare to Qara. Maximized Fireball for the win.

(although a semi-tank with Evasion combines very well with Qara indeed)

if a bard takes levels in arcane trickster, can you still take points in perform?

also how would you make an arcane trickster? i'm thinking wiz/AT but then i wouldnt get any conversation skills until long into the game...

AT requires a 2D6 sneak attack, so you need a few levels of Rogue (or maybe Shadow Thief or Assassin). My current character is heading that way-- he's a halfling Rogue2/Transmuter2. Basically, he'll be a somewhat gimped wizard, but with some basic thiefy skills and good diplo/bluff. I'm targeting him at Wiz5, Rog3, AT(the rest), but I might be tempted to get a 4th rogue level for Uncanny Dodge.

Edited by Enoch

if a bard takes levels in arcane trickster, can you still take points in perform?

also how would you make an arcane trickster? i'm thinking wiz/AT but then i wouldnt get any conversation skills until long into the game...

AT requires a 2D6 sneak attack, so you need a few levels of Rogue (or maybe Shadow Thief or Assassin). My current character is heading that way-- he's a halfling Rogue2/Transmuter2. Basically, he'll be a somewhat gimped wizard, but with some basic thiefy skills and good diplo/bluff. I'm targeting him at Wiz5, Rog3, AT(the rest), but I might be tempted to get a 4th rogue level for Uncanny Dodge.

dang, forgot the sneak attack....well, if taking rogue levels is unavoidable, i guess i'll stick to my tiefling wiz.

what bug?