NWN2: My Rating

Riftworm

Gameplay: 7/10

Outside of the fact the PC's can't run straight using arrow keys, and points of interest are obscured into the background making it difficult to find items, and the language being modern English is hard to immerse yourself into, the battling seems decent enough, the quests have been rewarding, and the sense of adventure is somewhat intact.

Story: 6/10

The storyline itself thus far has been fairly original and interaction has been ok, but the language being modern English really makes it hard to get into the game *for me anyways. Obsidian seemed content with overlooking detaisl like Faerun based middle aged dialect. This a big detail IMO. I even encountered an NPC witha souther twang..*echh bleagh*

Graphics: 4/10

No AntiAliasing, PC's are all the same and all look featureless and manequin like. Very stiff and un-organic job done by the PC modelers. The faces all strike me as an educational game made for children, not a fantasy RPG game made for genre loyalists. While the backgrounds with all settings on high are impressive and the NPC's are well modeled, the main heroes (PC's) need a lot of work as does the skill level of whoever modeled them. The Spell Buffing VFX in NWN1 still look better to me - remember Spell resistance had that cool looking glowing glyphs that acutally encompassed your character in 3 dimensions? The buffs arent even in 3 dimensions anymore. To demand so much from your system settings and then offer so little in return was a big let down.

GUI: 4/10 - Clunky, intrusive takes up nearly 50% of the screen in total. Inventory looks worse than NWN1. You'll notice when leveling up they just threw weapon profeciancy feats on top of one another so there is no sub menus to organize it all. Very unorganized.

Overall Rating So Far: 6/10

The poor PC modeleing and lack of options in character creation + the Modern Day English writing are the biggest and most annoying issues I have so far. If those were fixed or augmented in someway along with PC movement I could see myself giving this game an 8/10.

:huh:

Ookay... so thou wants game in old english? ;):blink:

Tell me roleplaying game that uses old english instead of modern one, geez.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Oh, right... But they're old damnit :huh:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

:huh:

Ookay... so thou wants game in old english? ;):blink:

And point out an RPG based on Faerun/D&D/Tolkien format that uses NPC's with a southern twang accent..

I want a more immersive gaming experience. I find it hard to "immerse" when nearly everyone in the campaign talks like my neighbor.

That's not really the biggest flaw IMO. The overall graphics and movement for PC's need a complete overhaul.

The performance of the game engine in relation to the requirements and reccomendations it demands is horrendous. I'm running possibly the best system out at the moment and exceed even the reccomended system specs and the game runs slower than a fat lady running uphill carrying an anvil.

:\

Edited by Riftworm

Thou callest Old?

How dare Thee! I shalt smite thee back to whence you came, Knave!

I can also bring up Planescape Torment, that used Planes speak. Berk!. :D

Volourn: It is a 'different' thing to complain about though, instead of the graphics (though he does complain about that as well). :huh:

Edited by Girias_Solo

:blink:

Strange... many people say in other topics that their games run smoothly. Just what kind of graphic settings you use? What I've seen graphics look nice, I can stand even for those elven heads :p

Btw, I think you should think foreigners as well. I can somewhat understand old english, but most don't I believe.

edit: btw, is 4 or 1 lowest ranking?

Edited by Xard

:blink:

Ookay... so thou wants game in old english? :p:blink:

And point out an RPG based on Faerun/D&D/Tolkien format that uses NPC's with a southern twang accent..

I want a more immersive gaming experience. I find it hard to "immerse" when nearly everyone in the campaign talks like my neighbor.

Honestly, I find this complaint bizarre. BG1&2, IWD1&2, NWN1, Demonstone, and other FR games that I have played have not had characters speaking exclusively Shakespearean English. On the contrary, they've had a wide variety of accents, from true English (David Warner as Irenicus), to Russian (Jahiera), to New York (Jan Jansen), to Midwestern, and so forth. Why is it only now that not having voice actors speak with a faux or true English accent a necessity?

BG had some NPCs with southern twangs.

"I have no time fer to talk to ya now."

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'm not expert of english dialects, but doesn't generic dwarf sound like that? :blink:

edit: Besides, Faerun is pseudomiddle-age world. Normal english suits it just as well as it suits in scifi (language should've evolved by then but nobody whines... :p" )

Edited by Xard

I have to agree with Riftworm, although not gamebreaking in my opinion the language would have been better if they aimed for something more appropriate for the time. as far as running well i have a p4 3.2 and an x800pro 2 gigs of ram and it runs very well for me.

I'm not expert of english dialects, but doesn't generic dwarf sound like that? :blink:

You'd have to hear it.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So, making the language old-timey, and thus alienating a good many potential players does what good, exactly?

I'd rather be able to clearly understand everything being said and be able to relate to it on a subconscious level, rather than having to immerse myself in the middle ages in order to do so.

And what's with the bitching and moaning about the graphics? Go play NWN 1 for a few minutes, then if you have the gall to complain about NWN 2's graphics by comparison, I'll have to ask you to submit to a forced lobotomy.

Just my opinion on his opinions. :blink:

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

And what's with the bitching and moaning about the graphics? Go play NWN 1 for a few minutes, then if you have the gall to complain about NWN 2's graphics by comparison, I'll have to ask you to submit to a forced lobotomy.

Now, I never played the first and dont yet have the second but I dont understand this reasoning. So, not as crap as the 5 yo one = good?

Linguistic immersion is a matter of taste. Personally, I'm fine with either modern casual (so long as it doesn't have blatantly modern slangs) or Ye Old English, but that's because I rather like old lit and have studied them somewhat extensively. I can easily see how most people who play games nowadays would be frustrated or annoyed with trying to interpret older dialects, however, and that it'd be a immersion breaker for them.

I also have no real issues with the UI. In fact, I prefer it to NWN's simply because of the Quickcast/Quickuse bars. I do have an issue with the slowness with which the camera seems to move and what I see as a more-clunky-than-necessary chase camera, however.

Still, I don't think the game deserves a 6/10 unless your score for most games average around a 4. Gamespot's review is about on par with what I'd rate NWN 2.

There are doors