positively or negatively correlated with survivability rates, sortie

rates or costs, average daily tonnage per aircraft, or success ratio

of unguided-to-guided munition deliveries.  No high-cost aircraft

demonstrated superior performance in all, or even most, measures, and

no low-cost aircraft was generally inferior.  On some measures

low-cost aircraft performed better than the high-cost ones (such as

sortie rate, sortie cost); on some measures, the performance of low-

and high-cost aircraft was indistinguishable (such as survivability

and participation against targets with successful outcomes).

I was reading the 1997 proceeding of the US General Audit Office (as one does on a Friday night) and found the above quote.

I thought it was rather interesting. Expensive planes aren't better? Crikey, I thought to myself. I wonder if its true, and if so whether it applies elsewhere.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The way I read that is that there is no discernable difference between aircraft total program unit cost when considering ground attack roles against an enemy (Iraq) whos AA capabilities have been decimated. Well, duh. IMO, thats a very skewed look at a program when you take into consideration there was almost zero dogfighting and by the time the older ground attack aircraft were brought to bear, almost no anti-aircraft defences left.

Well, that sorta happened with Sony for a while. They built the best home electronics for years, built up a name, then started making crap while still charging the most for their products. People still bought them because they were sony, but they weren't nearly the quality of old sony. Once people realized that their new stuff was crap and started shifting to Toshiba and Panasonic, Sony got their act together and their stuff is now good again.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I was reading the 1997 proceeding of the US General Audit Office (as one does on a Friday night) and found the above

You mean the General Accounting Office. That was the name in '97. A couple years ago, they changed it to the "Government Accountability Office." (They got tired of constantly explaining that they do more than accounting, particularly when they were trying to recruit new employees.)

GAO website.

i think the test criteria are not all that "objective," either. in particular, there are certain functions that higher cost aircraft are designed to do, which the lower cost aircraft simply cannot do. when we stack them up against each other in functions they BOTH can do, however, i'm not surprised that they perform equally well. can the GAO truly say that when looking at function specific applications? can it say that when the environment (well, theater) is such that the benefits of the high cost aircraft are more noticeable (e.g. flying into a theater where the defense systems are not decimated as meta noted)?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The way I read that is that there is no discernable difference between aircraft total program unit cost when considering ground attack roles against an enemy (Iraq) whos AA capabilities have been decimated. Well, duh. IMO, thats a very skewed look at a program when you take into consideration there was almost zero dogfighting and by the time the older ground attack aircraft were brought to bear, almost no anti-aircraft defences left.

I agree with this and taks observations. If your opponent is effectively supine then you don't need a high spec aircraft.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's fairly obvious that the original quote is about cargo aircraft (and not, for example, attack or fighter aircraft) ... the obvious follow up question would be, "what make the expensive aircraft more expensive?" ... advanced navigation and avionics, integrated and automated self defense systems, etc. ... in an environment where GPS works, where air defense is not sophisticated, a low-cost C-130 is going to out-perform a high-cost C-17, strictly from a tons-per-dollar standpoint, because the C-130 is less expensive to fly and maintain.

From a general technology standpoint, there is a point of diminishing returns, where the best widget costs 200% of the average widget, with only a 150% (or less) of the performance. It's not that much different than building or buying a computer, top-end performance costs alot ... how much of that performance you really need is up to the guy paying the bill.

It's fairly obvious that the original quote is about cargo aircraft (and not, for example, attack or fighter aircraft)

How did you come to that conclusion with a statement like this right in the snippet Walshingham provided?

...or success ratio of unguided-to-guided munition deliveries.