Chinese foreign media filtering

Atreides

My Chinese friend said that you've got freedom in China as long as you don't get mixed in politics.

But what is the worth of unrestricted information? China and Iran's been filtering news for awhile and I wonder what the long-term results will be.

Here's a news bit about China on Sunday announced detailed controls on the distribution of news by foreign news agencies, banning all content that violates its own tight media restrictions.

A few internet and IT companies have agreed to censorship to get into the Chinese market, saying that'd be better than a total blank.

How do you think things will turn out in the long run?

China tightens controls on foreign news

Sun Sep 10, 4:14 AM ET

SHANGHAI, China - China on Sunday announced detailed controls on the distribution of news by foreign news agencies, banning all content that violates its own tight media restrictions.

ADVERTISEMENT

The new measures took effect as soon as they were issued by the official Xinhua News Agency.

They limit foreign news agencies to distributing news only through Xinhua or entities authorized by Xinhua.

The detailed rules ban news content that disrupts "China's economic and social order or undermine China's social stability," Xinhua said.

The limits also ban news that undermines the country's "national unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity," it said.

The announcement said the rules would also apply to release of news and information in Hong Kong and Taiwan, although it was unclear how they would be applied given the separate legal systems in those territories.

China has long sought to limit foreign distribution of news inside the country while exercising harsh limits on domestic media that are often arbitrarily enforced by vaguely worded state security rules that mandate harsh penalties, including long prison terms, for violations.

The new rules appeared designed to end any uncertainties over the government's determination to prevent foreign news businesses from operating in the Chinese mainland.

"Foreign news agencies shall not directly solicit subscription of their news and information services in China," it said.

Xinhua said the rules were meant to "promote the dissemination of news and information in a sound and orderly manner."

Other news banned by the rules included: information that may, "endanger China's national security, reputation and interests;" that which may "violation China's religious policies or preach 'evil cults' or superstition;" and that which might "incite hatred and discrimination among ethnic groups" or undermine their unity, it said.

Also forbidden are "other content banned by Chinese laws and administrative regulations," it said.

"Xinhua News Agency has the right to select the news and information released by foreign news agencies in China and shall delete any materials mentioned in the items above," it said.

"If a foreign news agency violates the Measures, for example, Xinhua News Agency shall give it a warning, demand rectification within a prescribed time limit, suspend its release of specified content, suspend or cancel its qualifications for releasing news and information in China," it added.

The rules impose "disciplinary penalties" on staff members who violate such restrictions, it said.

Edited by Atreides

Spreading beauty with my katana.

China is too big to become another North Korea, Iran on the other hand will most likely become increasingly fascist until a revolution or invasion puts a stop to it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Your friend is right.

How long they could keep it up, though, is up for grabs. Whether "social harmony," as used by the Chinese government, is a long-term goal involving Orwellian thought control or simply a transistory stage in keeping with national security issues and threats to the government... Is anyone's guess.

There are doors

Kaftan, most of the population of Iran is under 25 and quite moderate.

There were even stronger social and liberal movements back in 1979, but the Islamists still seized power and put the smackdown on anyone who opposed them. The Theocracy is still as powerful as ever and I dont see any way it could change in this generation.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, the purpouse of repression is to protect the minority of the oppulent from majority of the masses. And religious opression worked like a charm for the Catholic church didnt it? :)"

We don't have those kinds of problems here in the United States.

All information is readily available.

Expression is completely free.

:D

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Well, if the theocrats are completely outnumbered, then they can't physically keep the people down. (Riot Act celebrates the pregnant possibilities. :D )

When I talked with the son of an Iranian diplomat he said Iranian youth just want to be free, do what they want. When I asked whether that meant eventually the liberal youth would take over he said no because there'll always be hardass kids growing up ready to take over.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Well, the purpouse of repression is to protect the minority of the oppulent from majority of the masses. And religious opression worked like a charm for the Catholic church didnt it?  :)"

Sure, back when nobody was educated or capable of travelling more than a few miles from their homes.

Well, the purpouse of repression is to protect the minority of the oppulent from majority of the masses. And religious opression worked like a charm for the Catholic church didnt it?  :huh:"

Sure, back when nobody was educated or capable of travelling more than a few miles from their homes.

Still a Mullah telling you that if you deviate, not only will you and your family be harassed, assaulted or even murdered by the police/islamist groups/state police... but you will also burn in hell forever after you've died horribly... is a pretty convincing argument not to stick your neck out.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Well, if the theocrats are completely outnumbered, then they can't physically keep the people down. (Riot Act celebrates the pregnant possibilities. :D )

When I talked with the son of an Iranian diplomat he said Iranian youth just want to be free, do what they want. When I asked whether that meant eventually the liberal youth would take over he said no because there'll always be hardass kids growing up ready to take over.

Simple: do an Old Testament intervention: kill all the hard-arse children. :huh:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think chenese democracy! is by far better than usaish democracy!. Chinese communism is felt like democracy when you compare it with usa politics and appliements.

USA government willingly performs mind control experiments over his citizens even if they want it or not.This is worse than communism.Cuz the lab rats are humans and are unaware of that experiments.

this article gives information about real events taking place 18 years ago and it is not hard to imagine what is the degree of CIA mind control experiments' degree reaching today. Maybe the 9/11 terrorists were hearing voices in their heads telling them that he is Allah or prophet Muhammed S.A.V. and ordering them to commit this suicidal act, but in fact those voices were belonging to CIA agents. This is pure mind manipulating magic being applied via technological resources producing electromagnetic waves like ELF waves.

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

It's a pity for earth as it is full of fascists claiming to be democratic.

There is no way China can realistically control the access to information for EVERYONE.

They can shoot the people who get through, anywho the USSR seemed to block outside contact quite well.

I think chenese democracy! is by far better than usaish democracy!. Chinese communism is felt like democracy when you compare it with usa politics and appliements.

USA government willingly performs mind control experiments over his citizens even if they want it or not.This is worse than communism.Cuz the lab rats are humans and are unaware of that experiments.

this article gives information about real events taking place 18 years ago and it is not hard to imagine what is the degree of CIA mind control experiments' degree reaching today. Maybe the 9/11 terrorists were hearing voices in their heads telling them that he is Allah or prophet Muhammed S.A.V. and ordering them to commit this suicidal act, but in fact those voices were belonging to CIA agents. This is pure mind manipulating magic being applied via technological resources producing electromagnetic waves like ELF waves.

Thank you for giving us you're great insight on Usian & world politics.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

We don't have those kinds of problems here in the United States.

All information is readily available.

Expression is completely free.

:D

The worst thing can happen is that you can be yelled at...or shot at by another civilian...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

There is no way China can realistically control the access to information for EVERYONE.

They can shoot the people who get through, anywho the USSR seemed to block outside contact quite well.

Nah, you can't stop it. The smaller the supply, the more valuable it becomes ... basic economics.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Thank you for giving us you're great insight on Usian & world politics.

It's a really big pity if you've not heard that as it becomes in your 'own' country. I'm thousands of miles away of usa and have much knowledge than you. That's sure that if I was living in such a country, I'd not vote for anyone.

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

It's a really big pity if you've not heard that as it becomes in your 'own' country. I'm thousands of miles away of usa and have much knowledge than you. That's sure that if I was living in such a country, I'd not vote for anyone.

And so you would contribute nothing to the democratic process of electing a government, thus being at the whim of others.

:shifty:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And so you would contribute nothing to the democratic process of electing a government, thus being at the whim of others.

>_<

At least I'd feel very relaxed in my subconscious for that my vote did not cause an aid to death of anyone. I'd say that ''it is not me who is responsible for the existence of that government. it is the ones voted for them. certainly 'not' me'' comfortably.

The Illuminator