Lionheart: LotC Question...

GreyOoze

It wasn't successful in Lionheart, Fallout Tactics, or FOPOS (though FOPOS was probably SPECIAL-lite). They already tried it in two games (and a third depending on your POV) and neither worked though the real time aspects in FOT was better implemented than Lionheart.

As long as they put in a turn base option in FO3 they can also put in real time as well, but I have doubts that they will do that and implement it well.

You know though, I would love to see Fallout 3 use the Silent Storm engine. :D

Edited by Judge Hades

This game is why I'm really anticipating the real-time adaptation of SPECIAL by Bethesda when they release FO3. Should be pretty innovative.

Real time combat is hardly innovative and it has already been proven that real time and SPECIAL just do not mix.

If you don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that FO3 will not be first person. Especially after the success of Oblivion. I also find it difficult to believe that it will use SPECIAL for any thing other than the name of its stats. Both of which are fine with me. I'd love to see a first-person Fallout. However, i do hope it would be a tad more crpg-y than Oblivion

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

True. In a way, Deus Ex was the spiritual successor to Fallout.

That's a very provocative thought. I've always seen a connexion that stems from System Shock, Deus Ex and Fallout, but I never thought of it quite in this way. Thanks for that observation ... I'll have to do some reflecting about this.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Kirottu, that pic has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Lets stay on topic, shall we. As for Deus Ex I don't see it as anything of a sort close to Fallout/SPECIAL. That is a huge leap of logic that I just do not see. Valid as your view point is to you, I whole heartedly disagree.

True. In a way, Deus Ex was the spiritual successor to Fallout.

That's a very provoking thought. I've always seen a connexion that stems from System Shock, Deus Ex and Fallout, but I never thought of it quite in this way. Thanks for that observation ... I'll have to do some reflecting about this.

You're right about system shock too now that I think about it, many of the important elements were very similar, despite it being completely realtime.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Hmm, Bioshock should be very nice in that aspect. It may not have SPECIAL, but the system should be similar enough in its implementation.

Really looking forward to that, esspesally if they can take the original elements that made SS so great while learning further from Fallout and Deus Ex to really bring the three togeather.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

:blink: Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hmm, Bioshock should be very nice in that aspect. It may not have SPECIAL, but the system should be similar enough in its implementation.

No kidding! Thinking about it a bit, doesn't the Biosphere gone awry setting kind of mimic a post-apocolyptic setting? Things have gone very bad, there's mutations going around, and people are scavenging to survive!.

As for Deus Ex I don't see it as anything of a sort close to Fallout/SPECIAL.  That is a huge leap of logic that I just do not see.  Valid as your view point is to you, I whole heartedly disagree.

I am not sure whether this was directed at me Hades? If it was, what struck me was not the mechanics of the game, to be honest, as opposed to the ... spirit ... myth ... je ne c'est quoi ... that pervades each of the stories/plots. This will take more time to articulate, but each of the stories have a depth that allows the tale to be universal - though 'sci-fi.' For me, at least, the thread between DX, FO, SS, is the plausibility that allows for the suspension of reality ... which I guess, at the end of the day, is what a good story should do.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

What made Fallout Fallout is a heck of a lot more than isometric and turn based and a rules system. To reduce it to such a mechanistic formula really diminshes the things that Fallout accomplished. Or attempted to accomplish, at least. Not saying it suceeded in everything it tried to do.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't think that F3 being isometric is out of the question, the Oblivion engine should be able to handle it (provided they made some concessions for the camera and such) A lot of people think that it's going to be The Elder Scrolls: The Road Warrior, and given the way Todd Howard talks and the way Bethesda has made games recently I suppose that's a way to look at it, but I don't see how it could be a foregone conclusion (it seems obvious to me that they'd treat Fallout differently than TES) and as I've mentioned several times in the past, Fallout is my Star Wars, and I have to hope. I really hope Bethesda retains the qualities that (I believe) made Fallout Fallout which were notably 1. A well-rounded classless system 2. A strong emphasis on consequences to PC action 3. Unusually competent writing and dialogue 4. Gallows humor and 5. 1950's "Science!". I have no doubt that they'll probably attempt the latter two, but the first three may be neglected. I don't consider the isometric perspective to be a integral part of Fallout. That's my tangent!

As for Deus Ex and Fallout, I kind of see it, yes.

Never played Lionheart (sort of want to) so I guess I shouldn't even be in this thread ;)"

What made Fallout Fallout is a heck of a lot  more than isometric and turn based and a rules system.  To reduce it to such a mechanistic formula really diminshes the things that Fallout accomplished.  Or attempted to accomplish, at least.  Not saying it suceeded in everything it tried to do.

Yes it is, but leave those aspects out the game would no longer be Fallout as well. It is every aspect within Fallout that made it what it was. Setting, characters, rules system, and the style of which it was presented (both graphically and textually). It is the whole package that made it the best CRPG ever made.

Edited by Judge Hades

No kidding! Thinking about it a bit, doesn't the Biosphere gone awry setting kind of mimic a post-apocolyptic setting? Things have gone very bad, there's mutations going around, and people are scavenging to survive!.

Man, that has gotten me exited in Bioshock in totally new kind of way!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.