Medieval: Total War II

alanschu

One of the rumors that everyone seems to believe on the Total War forums is the next title will be 1914 Total War. It would be an interesting game if they can modify the engine enough to allow for air combat and support.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Personally, I think I will skip Medieval 2. I just don't have to the time or interest for another TW game right now, with EB, RTR 7.0 and Rise of Persia, etc.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

One of the rumors that everyone seems to believe on the Total War forums is the next title will be 1914 Total War. It would be an interesting game if they can modify the engine enough to allow for air combat and support.

They are already completing the next engine, which will be used for the next title.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just because I was in north Italy, I was given a crash course in their Renaissance history: the French spent a lot of time camped on Italian real-estate, with Venice and the Vatican being the only independent states for a long time.

Lots of neat wars in that area of time and space. :(

I still think, though, that the ancient civilizations that became what we now call China would make the best source.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I still think, though, that the ancient civilizations that became what we now call China would make the best source.

I hear you, but I think marketing it to westerners might be the obstacle that dissuades them. China isn't as easy to sell as Japanese Samurai after all.

Regarding 1914 it could be interesting - for a while. Battles were very repetitive and very rarely decisive, and as we know the whole war was a grind for the most part. I say nay.

I would like to see something set in the early modern period, wouldn't mind Napoleon at all but preferably something starting in the 1400s or 1500s. I guess I'll have EU3 for that, but I want to play as SWEDEN! I'm such a patriotic dork...

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

I'm having a really wierd problem with installing MTW2 .. it keep saying there's a cylindrical redundans error in the data transfer on cd2! (I tried using my friends dvd - same problem) and my version work on his computer!

they haven't responded from technical support yet.. any of you know what the problem could be?

Fortune favors the bald.

I hear you, but I think marketing it to westerners might be the obstacle that dissuades them. China isn't as easy to sell as Japanese Samurai after all.

Regarding 1914 it could be interesting - for a while. Battles were very repetitive and very rarely decisive, and as we know the whole war was a grind for the most part. I say nay.

I would like to see something set in the early modern period, wouldn't mind Napoleon at all but preferably something starting in the 1400s or 1500s. I guess I'll have EU3 for that, but I want to play as SWEDEN! I'm such a patriotic dork...

Sweden was involved in the Napoleonic wars....a little anyway. :cool:

I agree that Total war 1914 would be tragic. First world war makes a decent overall strat game, or an excellent squad tactics game (The 'over the top' warfare was NOT what made up many of the battles of WW1. Lots of skirmishing, raiding, etc).

I tried playing MTW2, but it has bored me to death. Its buggy, easy as ****, and its a retread! How they screwed up a retread is beyond me. Its like CA took the unpatched Rome total war (which I can sorta forgive because it was a new engine) and used it as the template, instead of the patched up Barbarian invasion.

In any case, EB has soured my liking for the simplistic TW games....Everytime I play the vanilla versions, I just want to put EB back on the screen.

Yeah, it was just one long trench, from the Belgian coast all the way to Switzerland.

I'm having a really wierd problem with installing MTW2 .. it keep saying there's a cylindrical redundans error in the data transfer on cd2! (I tried using my friends dvd - same problem) and my version work on his computer!

they haven't responded from technical support yet.. any of you know what the problem could be?

CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is used to confirm that the data being read is uncorrupted; basically it is checksum ...

Anyway, exciting descriptions aside, it sounds like something is causing noise on the loading; as you have already determined that the disc contents are not corrupt (by loading it onto another PC), that just leaves the DVD drive, its driver, the cable, or your CPU / RAM / entire plane of reality.

Try replacing the driver first. Then try using another DVD drive. Then petition your god for a new reality.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Cyclic.. that's why I couldn't find it on the net (it was "Cylindrisk" in Danish)

Well it's gonna be a problem finding another Drive .. but at least now I have something to go on! thanks Meta.. I just hope whatever God is listining will be lenient! :wacko:

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

I get slowdowns at odd points in the siege where the pathfinding goes awry and units try to run in two directions at once and I drop to 1 fps.

The AI can only figure out how to move it's siege engines into the city to assault the keep about 1/3 of the time, and it's pretty useless against missiles if it doesen't have any itself, it will just stand there and be shot to pieces instead of either retreating or charging your position. Still you can experience some interesting battles.

I have been playing this game exclusively in the 3 days since I got it. Strangely addictive for all it's faults.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Although those things are bugs and not game design issues, I've come to understand that this game is virtually useless without some proper mods to deal with it. I've just installed a new HDD and another GB of RAM, so I'll be getting this game shortly. I suppose it's the ever-present case of "we must dumb the game down and make it arcadish or the kids won't buy it," when in fact it's a strategy game and the last thing you want to do with those is dumb them down too much.

I'm looking at mods like Anno Domini, but I'm not entirely sold on their idea of dynasties replacing "countries," since I don't think that representation is perfectly accurate either. I'd rather have countries that I'm familiar with than a bunch of faction-specific dynasties that only comes to interfere with the houses of other "countries."

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

In any case, EB has soured my liking for the simplistic TW games....Everytime I play the vanilla versions, I just want to put EB back on the screen.

That mod is the work of the devil, isn't it? 0.8 would be pure perfection without the glaring unit recruitment problems as Lusotanann or the Bactrian Hippeis-ctd. <_< That said, playing as any of the Hellenic factions is the best ancient sandbox ever. And I've never seen a mod this scale that's so finished before.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I never found a mod that I actually enjoyed more than the Vanilla version of the game.. simply because Mods tend to be just as buggy and unbalanced (and often even more), while not having the same graphical polish as the original. Maybe I expect too much...

Fortune favors the bald.

Have you tried EB 0.8?

kirottu said:

I never found a mod that I actually enjoyed more than the Vanilla version of the game.. simply because Mods tend to be just as buggy and unbalanced (and often even more), while not having the same graphical polish as the original. Maybe I expect too much...

The Total Realism mod (for Rome:Total War) adds all the (less fun, presumably) historically-accurate minuti

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've always found Vanilla being less fun than Total Realism. :)

Graphical polish: Units are better IMO, they don't have any Hollywood colors

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I liked the accuracy of the Total Realism.. but I still found it unbalanced and less fun.. it was even easier to win as the Romans! which was incredibly easy to begin with..

Have you tried EB 0.8?

no - I'll tjeck it out..

Fortune favors the bald.

WW I would be interesting on the "west front" in the beginning, before the French counter attack and stalemate.

Also the "east front" would be interesting in the beginning. Interesting movements of troops by train. Quite nice tactical stuff.

And then again at the end it might be interesting.

I wonder how the Russian Revolution and follow up would play as a game.

All these things would be better turn based.

I got my older son Mark of Chaos. Although there are flaws (Why can't they do warhammer right?) it seems like it might be fun. His reports so far are good.

I'm looking forward to the CC3 remake (with Real Red?) and the remake of the Talonsoft Campaign Series - from Matrix.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.