EA for the win

LostStraw

As a consumer I don't care. If I am going to spend $50 on a game I don't want to see ads in or on it. Same reason why I don't have cable. If I am going to pay for somethig I don't want to deal with ads. My money is paying for the product. If I was getting the game for free that's a different matter but more than likely I would still pass it by.

As a consumer I don't care.  If I am going to spend $50 on a game I don't want to see ads in or on it.  Same reason why I don't have cable.  If I am going to pay for somethig I don't want to deal with ads.  My money is paying for the product.  If I was getting the game for free that's a different matter but more than likely I would still pass it by.

So you'd have no problems if the price starting going up to $60 or $70, if it kept things ads free?

Or games got shorter as content gets more expensive to make?

As a consumer, I'd think you would care if it meant a greater chance of the games you want to play being made.

Edited by alanschu

It had a modern setting, right?  So it would make sense, but putting the Ford logo on a tapestry in some 12th century king's castle would not.

yr being stupid. no one would want that, not the developers nor Ford. i'm talking about real advertising, not yr exaggarated negative perspection of it.

then again we're more conservative here in finland than in the us, and have some moral rules in what you can do and what you can't. so maybe i'm wrong and thats how it would end like. i dunno, ads in games would just open a whole new way for small / medium developers to get enough money to actually finish their games and get a publisher.

I would gladly spend $100 on a finely crafted CRPG that gives me long hours of delight.  For example I would gladly paid $80 for a game like BG 2 when it first came out.

Unfortunately, not many would.

Which means it'd likely be a case of the content of games getting shorter.

It had a modern setting, right? So it would make sense, but putting the Ford logo on a tapestry in some 12th century king's castle would not.

I have a feeling that this type of product placement wouldn't happen. The developers/publisher, as well as the advertiser, would probably recognize that this isn't the type of placement that makes much sense.

However, it could work really well in a post-apocolyptic setting. Instead of the Chrysillis Highwayman or whatever, you could actually use the name Chrysler. Nothing too shocking if people do have Coca-Cola vending machines, rather than Nuka-Cola.

Like Demon King, I wouldn't mind too much if the adds in BF 2142 were some banner adds on the server list or something like that.

Keeping a master server up to hand out a list of servers to people looking for a game to join does cost some money. Although it probably doesn't cost that much -- as Epic has been doing it for free.

Advertisement in games should be done more in the sense of this 1994 title: "Battle Bugs".

post-1424-1157095106_thumb.jpg

Now that's something I'd enjoy :D.

Hahahaha.

I'll admit, that's bad.

There may be some growing pains like this, but I'll relate it to the movie industry. You don't see Coca-Cola product placement in a medieval movie. So I'd be surprised if you started seeing Coca-Cola product placement in a medieval RPG.

EA has already proven more than ever that they aren't making games.

They're a big company that are manufacturing products, which should sell to the right demographic group, researched by marketers, based of trends of a  segmented share of people, who have the highest amount of money to spend, to fit the excel-based diagram that the board shows for its share-holders.

And that's incompatible with making games how exactly?

The ratio of interesting good games and general quality are plummeting due to this philosophy. Don't get me wrong, EA is a great company that i would invest in (buying stock and so on...), but i would just not buy their products >_<

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It would actually be cool to find old posters and advertisements torn by vandals and blasted by the radioactive wasteland winds in Fallout 3. I mean "D_ink Co_a C_la" and then you'd have a tribe of intelligent pig rats worshipping the great Dink Coacla on the ruins. >_<

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The ratio of interesting good games and general quality are plummeting due to this philosophy. Don't get me wrong, EA is a great company that i would invest in (buying stock and so on...), but i would just not buy their products >_<
The problem with this is that "interesting good games" is a subjective notion. And given the sales volume of EA, it would seem that a lot of people would disagree with your idea of what makes an "interesting good game".

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Especially since the music of the bands was licensed for the game.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I agree with the ads in the racing game. I can see those working well without being too distracting. However there are very few games that I think would work well with modern product advertising. I mean Drink Coke! Official drink of the 22nd century military! just wouldn't work well. :ermm:

Are you suggesting that Coke won't be around in the 22nd Century, or that they wouldn't sponsor the military? :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

About that, I thought this screen is kinda fitting:

post-9032-1157114088_thumb.jpg

kirottu said:

The ratio of interesting good games and general quality are plummeting due to this philosophy. Don't get me wrong, EA is a great company that i would invest in (buying stock and so on...), but i would just not buy their products :mellow:
The problem with this is that "interesting good games" is a subjective notion. And given the sales volume of EA, it would seem that a lot of people would disagree with your idea of what makes an "interesting good game".

Yes, i should've pointed that out earlier. Record companies make millions based on MTV-semi-hip-hop-pop, but that doesn't mean that they release albums that are of any interest to me. I wouldn't mind investing in them though.

EA makes millions of gamers happy, but not me, and that's all that matters in my case.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy