33 Gothic 3 screenshots from HQ ingame footage

elkston

Where's my giant anti-male hammer? I know I left I laying about somewhere. :p

Now if I couldjust find my metal bikini. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I always thought you should play "your" character in a CRPG, and now you're whining you don't get pre-defined characteristics?

You play the nameless hero as you want and imagine his motives like you do just in any other RPG, not matter whether you get a pre-made "blank slate" or a self-created "blank slate".

The thing is hat you dont get to play YOUR character in Gothic. You get to play "Nameless- the Bland german hero". Sure, you have some choices regarding what you want to do with Nameless, but he will still be Nameless- the bland german hero.

Being able to choose between 4 different appearances and comming up with a name which will get scripted into some dialgue might not seem like that much, but it makes a WORLD of differance.

And also, I dont like Nameless. I think he looked like a jerk and sounded like an idiot.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I agree that a character should earn his or her points but there needs to be allowances for the basics.  Such as what if I wanted to play a novice mage right at the begining of Gothic 2 instead of a novice fighter?  I can't bcause all the basic beginning skills are set for me being a fighter and not a mage or thief.

Forming a character to me should be a process that has to be earned. My behaviours reflect my environment, throught that I get quests or not, hence I advance my character or not.

Nothing should be get for free, even not the initial 20 points or so during the char-creation. Table-Top RPGs do that, but Gothic doesn't try to emulate such.

Sure earning the points are fine but how we start the game and what basic abilities the character has should be up to the player.  Also being able to play a female character would be nice.  In this day and political correct age Gothic seems to me a bit sexist.

Devs should just go out and deliver top-quality games, make them better and better, even if that means the game is "politically incorrect". Through top quality, you earn new fans, both male and female.

Doing gamedesign specifically for gender or try to shoe-horn something into the concept that wouldn't fit but is demanded due to "political correctness" is just a step backwards.

Edited by Morgoth

You start with the character already made. The points have already been spent for you, Morgoth. The base character in Gothic is the fighter. All the character creation is done already and lined up to force you to play a novice fighter. Points spent, buddy, and you didn't have a say how they are spent.

How much shoe horning can there be for a basic choice of your character being male or female? Its been a choice in character creation for freaking decades.

Edited by Judge Hades

Don't try to shoe-horn something into just because RPG giants like Bioware or Bethesda do it as well.

I'm not trying to do anything. I've never claimed the role of woman in the Gothic series should be changed or that I had a problem with it.

but it has it's own merits and own strengths

That's true of most games, even the "Elder Scrolls, World of Warcraft and Forgotten Realms" you appear to have a grudge against, although I suppose when you say "merits and strengths" whatever they may be, you are still simply talking about what you like about the game.

This is insanely amusing. :p

A fantasy setting is a fantasy setting. The proportion of warrior-females have always been higher both in myth, and myth-inspired classic Tolkien fantasy, than in reality. This is the basis for 'unusuality', not medieval history, which is not a single point of inspiration and backdrop for Gothic or Oblivion or anything. If you don't like seeing women in these games, just say so and stop trying to pretend that you are fronting some sort of fantasy standard.

At the same time, others have the right to prefer games which allow female characters, or a better representation of women.

But then, if sense ruled the world this thread wouldn't be here.

also:

Forming a character to me should be a process that has to be earned. My behaviours reflect my environment, throught that I get quests or not, hence I advance my character or not.

Nothing should be get for free, even not the initial 20 points or so during the char-creation. Table-Top RPGs do that, but Gothic doesn't try to emulate such.

You know, this should go in the Daily show. "I don't want anything given to me that I have not earned and affected, but sure, give me a pre-made character and appearance instead of ones I choose!"

Edited by Tigranes

You start with the character already made.  The points have already been spent for you, Morgoth.  The base character in Gothic is the fighter.  All the character creation is done already and lined up to force you to play a novice fighter.  Points spent, buddy, and you didn't have a say how they are spent.

So what? Even if you spend those point during char-creation, you're still a total softie and just have to earn your points through the gameplay.

Weakling with or without spending the points myself. no difference to me.

It makes a huge difference to me because you could make a character completely different from the base novice you get in the game. The beginning character is a novice fighter. You have the basic skills of a fighter and can do so decently enough. Now what if you use those beginning "points" on a different direction. Lets say a novice thief. By changing that direction on how the base points are "spent" you change the whole concept and starting play of the character for a novice thief would not be able to do straight on fights as well as a novice fighter. Different character options allows greater flexibility of gameplay and greater replayability.

Devs should just go out and deliver top-quality games, make them better and better, even if that means the game is "politically incorrect".

This isn't about political correctness so much. If a game is set in a period of our history, then yes it ought to be historically correct, but limiting the role of particular characters, be it based on gender or whatever else simply because "it was like that in real life!" without actually using that feature in any way is meaningless.

Really, what does the limited role of females, and the inability to play a female character add to the Gothic games?

RPGs are all about choice, and unlike your claim, limiting the players choices without any reasoning for the limitations won't bring you more fans.

...must... proofread... before... submitting...

Edited by Hell Kitty

If you don't like seeing women in these games, just say so and stop trying to pretend that you are fronting some sort of fantasy standard.

Huh? Woman characters can be awesome! Jade from Beyond Good & Evil for example kicks ass.

But a woman who talks like a prolet and runs around in chain-bikini isn't my thing.

At the same time, others have the right to prefer games which allow female characters, or a better representation of women.

Sure, there's NWN2 and many others on the horizon which alloes you to play female chars.

But I have to disappoint you that G3 won't be your cup of tea then.

Forming a character to me should be a process that has to be earned. My

You know, this should go in the Daily show. "I don't want anything given to me that I have not earned and affected, but sure, give me a pre-made character and appearance instead of ones I choose!"

Ohh I see. So you want the nameless hero having pink hair? Makes big difference in role-playing, uh huh.

Edited by Morgoth

Hypothesis:

People who like the Gothic games are either weird and/or German.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

:p)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It makes a huge difference to me because you could make a character completely different from the base novice you get in the game.  The beginning character is a novice fighter.  You have the basic skills of a fighter and can do so decently enough.  Now what if you use those beginning "points" on a different direction.  Lets say a novice thief.  By changing that direction on how the base points are "spent" you change the whole concept and starting play of the character for a novice thief would not be able to do straight on fights as well as a novice fighter.  Different character options allows greater flexibility of gameplay and greater replayability.

You just choose being a thief, rogue or fighter with one mouse click, but in Gothic 3 you have to earn you reputation, then you can join a guild, learn their arts and so forth. And if you don't like being an assassine for example, you can always piss them off, get thrown out and seek another guild to learn new talents. That's way smarter done than for example D&D does.

Edited by Morgoth

Just a bit, don't you think?  There have been women in the past ages who have taken the warrior path, fighting right along the men in recorded history and in mythology.  It is a rare thing but it has happen.  Just to arbitrarily ignore it seems wrong to me.

No, I don't think it's sexist. It's a video game, and given the overwhelmingly large majority of games don't let you pick the gender of the character you play, I'm not going to read too much into it.

Especially seeing as, AFAIK, you're playing the same character that you have been playing since the first Gothic game.

You just choose being a thief, rogue or fighter with one mouse click, but in Gothic 3 you have to earn you reputation, then you can join a guild, learn their arts and so forth. And if you don't like being an assassine for example, you can always piss them off, get thrown out and seek another guild to learn new talents. That's way smarter done than for example D&D does.

Um... how is it smarter to have no control of your chracter's origins? :p

Remember, Morgoth, you're arguing with the "hardcore" RPG'ers now. You know, the same people who went nuts over how Oblivion sucks because it didn't allow them to metagame the usual way they do in D&D?

They actually claimed the game sucked because they "had" to metagame to be able to "maxx out their charzz".. They've learnt the D&D rules inside out and know exactly how to reroll their characters until they can dual class (or whatever it's called) into the two best combinations for total pwnage. As soon as a game comes along that doesn't follow these nerd rules their world comes crumbling down and they come to the conclusion the game must suck.

Personally I couldn't care less if the "hardcore" RPG'ers on these boards like Gothic 3 or not. I just hope I will like it as much as I have liked the first two parts.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

:p

That doesn't make any sort of sense.  You are starting out as a novice character, a zero, a nobody.  If you already gone through 2 large scale adventures I don't thikn that would be the case.

It wouldn't be the first time that such a thing happened in an RPG.

It's still moot. If the developers don't want to spend the time making a female model, it doesn't mean that they are sexist.

Lest we start accusing Valve for making HL male only. Or Monolith for making NOLF only playable as Cate Archer!

:blink:

That doesn't make any sort of sense.  You are starting out as a novice character, a zero, a nobody.  If you already gone through 2 large scale adventures I don't thikn that would be the case.

Not true. In Gothic 3 you will start quite powerful.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hypothesis:

People who like the Gothic games are either weird and/or German.

I hoped this thread would find back to it's groove, but thanks to senseless posts like you're providing, this thread gets more and more derailed.

But am I wrong? Am I wrong?

( also, hypothesisusess are totally sensible and all that stuff that isnt spam )