Tough Questions

Krookie

A woman might carry a child, but it is not just her baby.  She did not create it herself.  She in turn cannot expect to have full say in what to do with it...

I'm interested to know how you would see this working in practice. If the mother wants an abortion and the father does not, what happens? How about if the father wants an abortion and the mother does not? Where does the casting vote fall?

You suggest that the mother cannot have full say in what to do with the baby, yet at the moment that's exactly how UK law stands (I don't know if US law is different). A woman is under no obligation even to inform the foetus' father that she's having an abortion, let alone get his permission.

Can't use his genetic material without consent to start a pregnancy with a previously created and stored embryo, either ... ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Then they'd have to come to a compromise on what to do.  They'd have to discuss it.

Are you suggesting that the law require some kind of compulsory mediation or counselling session? Would that involve the woman and man together or seperately, with or without their families?

Can't use his genetic material without consent to start a pregnancy with a previously created and stored embryo, either ... ;)

Yes. As it stands, the man has control over his sperm until it enters the woman's body, and must consent to that entry. Once that has happened, he has no rights until the child leaves the mother's body. It's important that the law be workable in practice, and this seems to be.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Then they'd have to come to a compromise on what to do.  They'd have to discuss it.

Are you suggesting that the law require some kind of compulsory mediation or counselling session? Would that involve the woman and man together or seperately, with or without their families?

When did I mention law? I was talking about along a more personal basis. They're a couple, they should be able to talk about these things. If the couple are both old enough to be legally separate, then the decision should ultimately be up to them, not their families.

I think he's calling you a republican.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

When did I mention law?  I was talking about along a more personal basis.  They're a couple, they should be able to talk about these things.  If the couple are both old enough to be legally separate, then the decision should ultimately be up to them, not their families.

You didn't mention the law directly, but the law is important in this debate. You, I, governments, church organisations and anyone else can give advice and say what we think should happen, but no-one is obliged to follow or even listen to our advice. We can discuss whose decision we think it should be, but ultimately the law has to clarify whose decision it actually is. At the moment in the UK, it's the woman's alone. How would you change that?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)