Lebanon vs Sudan

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4268733.stm

The vibe in the drawing rooms and pubs of England is that the Lebanon is the big bad conflict that needs UN attention. I suddenly remembered the Sudan conflict and wondered what the death toll there was. The UN estimates 70,000. The BBC reckons four times that number. That against maybe 2000 in total for the Lebanon.

The African union have rejected the deployment of 2,000 UN peacekeepers as 'colonialist'. The Lebanon will receive (eventually) 15,000 peacekeepers.

I don't have a point that I can put my finger on.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The UN is a joke.

So is the US at this time in History.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

In DR Congo a civil war has been raging since 1998...close to 4 million ppl have died, how much attention did they got? Go somewhere where there is info on all current minor and major conflicts going on around the world and you'll see all the hypocrisy you want...

The UN is a joke.

We shouldnt forget that the UN is not an independant body capable of arbitrary action. Most of its failiure to act is because one or more of the members vetoed the resolution or kept it from ever reaching the voting chamber in the first place,

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You're right, Kafty! I vote that the UN get its own defence force. And we should all invest more in nanotech. And maybe let some notional terrorists release a plague, and blow up the Statue of Liberty, in order to secure the attention of world leaders ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Damn straight! Except we would have legionaires with plumes and large shields.. itd be like the Roman empire all over again! :))

Pax Unitas Nationes and everything

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You're right, Kafty! I vote that the UN get its own defence force. And we should all invest more in nanotech. And maybe let some notional terrorists release a plague, and blow up the Statue of Liberty, in order to secure the attention of world leaders ...

I prefer GDI

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And are the US and Israel the only non-evildictatorshipjuntarepressive countries where people badmouth the UN? We Swedes are very proud of it, from Dag Hammarsk

Might i suggest agin, a skul-gun for my head.

:lol: Alla Deus Ex. But then the altered will be used to get more power and the people without will be lied to by the order o:) Illuminati.

What is preferable a just war or an unjust peace?

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

Might i suggest agin, a skul-gun for my head.

Two words:

Laputan machine

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't have a point that I can put my finger on.

Africa is worse off than the Middle-East, but no one cares?

Bano cares!

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Are Swedes proud of the UN? =]

All our experienced and really devoted politicians often bail the sinking ship of domestic politics for the UN. And they used to be a popular target for assassinations, Folke Bernadotte got murdered by the Israeli and Dag Hammarskj

Are Swedes proud of the UN? :)

They should be, they've always been very prominent, particularly in the development organisations (UNICEF, UNESCO, UNDP and so on). If only the rest of the world had shown similar levels of commitment.

Dag Hammerskjold was in my GCSE History exam. =]

The UN system is based on the idea that regional organisations such as the Afican Union, Organisation of American States, and so on, should deal with regional problems, and the Security Council only intervene directly when the regional organisation can't. It's not a perfect system, but neither would having the whole world jump into every conflict be perfect. Israel and Lebanon is a clear case where there is no local organisation to which all parties belong, so it needs to be handled at Security Council level.

That's only part of it, of course. Oil, the 'War on Terror' and proximity to Iraq, Iran's nuclear programme and links with Hezbollah, Western media biases of all kinds...

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, I see the UN as largely ineffective, too many vetos for my taste. Oh and blue helmets + white vehicles = lame.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well, I see the UN as largely ineffective, too many vetos for my taste. Oh and blue helmets + white vehicles = lame.

... Resolution passed by the emergency chancellor: strategic and tactical nukes

deployed by the supreme UN Administratrion ...

... and those hats changed to a more sexy red and black, with styling by Jean-Paul Gautier ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT