Can I recover my lost cd key from my computer?

Karapeters

It has happened to me in some cases that I've been able to re-install a game that uses CD-keys without actually having to type in the key again because the key was saved in the registry. It's probably not a common occurance though and your CD-key is most likely lost.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The game was uninstalled from my computer for months, and I want to play it again.  But I can't find my cd key.  Is there somewhere on my computer the cd key may be hidden and recovered, or is it gone since the game was uninstalled?

What game is it? You can always try and search the internets.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Not sure what search the internet means in this instance, maybe there's stuff I'm unaware of, but as a gentle reminder: let's not encourage the use of non-paid-by-yourself CD-keys here. :p

If the key isn't in the registry it's probably lost for good. I don't know how to look up such info in the registry tho, beyond trying to click on the relevant entries and seeing what they say. If the game installs files in the MyDocuments folders, sometimes they'll leave ini type info files in there, but I don't recall ever noticing cdkeys being registered in such files. Dunno.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• What's the game?
  • try installing it anyway, this might all be just paranoia on your part. If the key is stored in the Registry, it should populate the appropriate field when you are walking through the instalation.
  • You can always contact the developer / publisher via email, web or telephone to ask them for a solution (if the game is still being published).

:p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• What's the game?

• try installing it anyway, this might all be just paranoia on your part. If the key is stored in the Registry, it should populate the appropriate field when you are walking through the instalation.

• You can always contact the developer / publisher via email, web or telephone to ask them for a solution (if the game is still being published).

Thanks everyone for the replies. It was KOTOR II. The reason I was worried about the cd key is that I didn't see the piece of paper behind the cds in my case like I do with my other games- but, as you suggested above, I didn't need it for some reason when I began actual installation. I thought that I would since I remembered putting one in when I originally purchased the game. But it didn't ask. I guess the key was somewhere in the registry after all. Apologies.

Not sure what search the internet means in this instance, maybe there's stuff I'm unaware of, but as a gentle reminder: let's not encourage the use of non-paid-by-yourself CD-keys here. :thumbsup:

What else would I have meant? I just didn't put it quite as eloquently :rolleyes:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 4 years later...
You CANNOT recover them because they are PRINTED on either the CD itself, or someplace on the container or manual. Try to contact customer support and tell them what happen.

I doubt that will work. I can't replay Dragon Age because the CD key was on the box, and the box got thrown away. No assistance whatever from customer service. Congrats, dudes. No me buyee Dragon Age 2. Halfwits.

Sick of being treated like a criminal when I stump up 30 quid to legitimately play. So on and so forth.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sick of being treated like a criminal when I stump up 30 quid to legitimately play. So on and so forth.

Welcome to next gen gaming.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Actually I have called up Atari support twice because I forgot my CD key and they just gave me a new one. I might have embellished a little bit and told them that the sticker wasn't on the inside cover. my suspicion is that those calls are so rare that they don't bother arguing about it.

I have also heard tell of people being successful in simply begging them for one with a sob story of a lost CD case.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.