Bioshock interview @TTLG

Morgoth

No, not really. It's more of a First Person Shooter With Neat-Oh Plasmids.

Um... That is still a FPS.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

That's okay. I still have your original quote available so it still stands, as you just said.

HA!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

That's okay. I still have your original quote available so it still stands, as you just said.

HA!

Sand: Scroll down to the demo1 and demo2 section. Try at least watching the first demo. Highly recommended.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have seen the video demo a while back. The one in which the main guy gets drilled in the chest. Graphically it does look impressive, but it doesn't seem my style of game that I like to play. Is there a playable demo for the PC available?

I have seen the video demo a while back. The one in which the main guy gets drilled in the chest. Graphically it does look impressive, but it doesn't seem my style of game that I like to play. Is there a playable demo for the PC available?

Those are completely new, they are basically the whole Xbox360 demo put together. A PC demo should be released the 18th-19th of August.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'll download it then and give it a try. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how anyone would not like to get this game. Unless their rig is not up to it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

There's a recommendable interview to read with Joe McDonagh, one of the Senior Designers of Bioshock. CLICK

Now the industry is maturing do you think there's less creativity and innovation around?

McDonagh: Yes I do. I'm bored out of my brains playing the same games again and again and again. I mean take the new Zelda game. I haven't bothered playing it. Why would I? I've been playing Zelda for years. I hope things change because I can't see myself playing infinite iterations of Dune II and Doom for the rest of my life.

BTW: Did you also know that Jordan Thomas, Lead Designer of Thief DS (and creater of the Cradle-Level) is with Irrational and worked on Bioshock?

Edited by Morgoth

I don't understand how anyone would not like to get this game.

Narrow-minded people who decide whether game will suck based on a dice roll (or doesn't carry the Fallout brand). Example: RPGCodex

I've just read the thread at the RPGCODEX-forum. Probably the most negative and unimpressed bunch of all forums that i've seen, but on the other hand, it was probably their way of expressing careful optimism. They do however, raise some good points about journalistic integrity and question some of the game's linearity, but mostly it was anti-console trite and how bad it will be compared to System Shock 2.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Jordan Thomas aka Null? Woah, yet more hyped!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I've just read the thread at the RPGCODEX-forum. Probably the most negative and unimpressed bunch of all forums that i've seen, but on the other hand, it was probably their way of expressing careful optimism. They do however, raise some good points about journalistic integrity and question some of the game's linearity, but mostly it was anti-console trite and how bad it will be compared to System Shock 2.

Since I haven't played System Shock 2 I do not have anything to compare it to. Besides from the look of it is a new IP. Its Bioshock, not System Shock 3. I don't see any reason why the two games should be comparable.

Edited by Sand

Since I haven't played System Shock 2 I do not have anything to compare it to. Besides from the look of it is a new IP. Its Bioshock, not System Shock 3. I don't see any reason why the two games should be comparable.

Baldurs Gate is not Torment is not Icewind Dale is not Fallout. And yet, people always compare it to death.

Bioshock is not a sequel to System Shock but a spiritual successor with a different setting and tons of improvements, and some slight aggravations (i.e. lack of inventory).

There is a reason it's referred to as the spiritual successor to SS2. It's the style of game that's similar, the game and presentation, and the atmosphere.

Actually, the gameplay is very, very similar. I'd say in some ways it's practically the same game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Judging from the demo-trailer, System Shock 2 and Bioshock have a lot more in common than the name.

- Same lead designer

- Same lead designer, saying that it will be a spiritual successor to System Shock 2

- Both have the main lead in a isolated world, trying to survive.

- The environment is paradise gone wrong (SS2: an advanced spaceship in deep space. Bioshock, a city deep under water.)

- Same gameplay (more than guns)

- Audiologs give information on what has happened.

- Less linear than most FPS's

- The people left are either insane or mutated.

- That's just the top of the iceberg.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Sand:

Play it, there's nothing like it. Except System Shock 1 and maybe Bioshock.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

And Ultima Underworld.

Just because.

Edit: Morgy, thanks for the article. I found it interesting, though I'm a bit puzzled how Null actually uses the lessons learned with ISA to his benefit at at...arghh...2K Boston. Bioshock doesn't have the, I love this phrase, myopic control that stealth games have.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Baldurs Gate is not Torment is not Icewind Dale is not Fallout. And yet, people always compare it to death.

Um... I don't. I compare BG to BG2, IWD 1 to IWD2, Fallout 1 to Fallout 2 to Fallout 3, and NWN1 to NWN2, in terms that each of those games are designed to be related to each other in a series, hence the numerals.

Bioshock is not a sequel to System Shock but a spiritual successor with a different setting and tons of improvements, and some slight aggravations (i.e. lack of inventory).

Since Bioshock is not a sequel, to compare it to SS2 as one seems silly to me. Certainly there can be some parrallels, but Bioshock should be treated as a stand alone game without any baggage from previous works.

@Sand:

System Shock 2:

- It's a Survival Horror FPS

- You can hack turrets to attack your enemies.

- You can hack the security system so that it stops reacting to you

- Your first weapon is a wrench

- You can modify your weapons

- If you die you are taken to a regeneration chamber instead of having to reload.

Bioshock:

- It's a Survival Horror FPS

- You can hack bots to attack your enemies.

- You can hack cameras so that they stop reacting to you

- Your first weapon is a wrench

- You can modify your weapons

- If you die you are taken to a regeneration chamber instead of having to reload.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Whatever happened to action-RPG FPS games, anyway? The popularity of System Shock and Deus Ex should have yielded a slew of imitators that last to today. But the last one (and only that I know of, not counting its predescessor) we got was Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. The Deus Ex sequel dropped the RPG elements, and I'd bet Bioshock has too.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."