NHL

Darque

"You really have trouble understanding that the NHL as an organization has rules that don't apply to other situations in society, right?"

So does the mafia.. doens't make their behaviour any more acceptable, does it?..

P.S. And, no, I'm not saying the NHL = Mafia.. Nice try; though.

And what would you rather they do instead of fining players then?

Professional athletes make ridiculous money for the work that they do. I've got no problem with that (well, maybe the 16 mil that Bonds is getting) because they've taken a skillset and mastered it far above the average joe. But there is a cost to that huge paycheck. Players are expected to follow a certain code of conduct. When they step out of line, it makes perfect sense to cut into that paycheck.

"And what would you rather they do instead of fining players then?"

For waving atowel? Nothing. Nothing should be done about. They should wave a towel.

For purposefully injuring someone? Allow the law to do its job - intentionally trying or successfully injuring someone is a crime in either the US or Kanada last time I checked. Yelling at referrees? Penalize the team/players like they already do. Shocking, I know!

"well, maybe the 16 mil that Bonds is getting"

A whole different subject, but Bonds deserves that money. heck, he coudl end up batting .200 with only 5 homers and 50 rbis next season and I'd still say he deserve sit. He makes SF (and MLB) way more than 16 million dollars a year.

"Players are expected to follow a certain code of conduct. When they step out of line, it makes perfect sense to cut into that paycheck."

No. Someone making x amount of money should be irrelevant. It's stealing their money. And, in so many cases like this one, it's completely arbitrary. How did Campbell and the NHL brass come up with the figure that this towel waving incident was worthy of a $2500 fine. Absolutely ridiculousness.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"You really have trouble understanding that the NHL as an organization has rules that don't apply to other situations in society, right?"

So does the mafia.. doens't make their behaviour any more acceptable, does it?..

P.S. And, no, I'm not saying the NHL = Mafia.. Nice try; though.

Mafia? "Nice try"? What are you on about now? Hate to blow your bubble, but the NHL is a legal organisation. ;)

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

I'd wager some of the things they've gotten away with could be challenged in court, and overturned.

And, lots of things that are usually considered 'unacceptable behaviour' are considered 'legal'.

Again, I did NOT say NHL = mafia. They aren't THAT bad.

Example: Look at all the whining about how LA 'rushed' Obsidian. Lots of peopel cried that it was 'unfair', that it was 'evil', and that it was 'unacceptable' except it was perfectly 100% legal. *shrug*

It might be legal for them to fine players thousands of dollars for waving a white towel; but to me it's unacceptable.

I wonder if those who are pro NHL in this regard would fine it acceptable if Walmart would fine their employees for criticizing them.

R00fles!

Game over.

Edited by Volourn

I wonder if Volourn knows that there is a player's union, and that fines are all part of the contract the player's union signed with the business owners.

Now if you want to argue that union's are like the mafia, that's been done before. The fact is the player's have way more rights than they did in the past, and there is nothing illegal or crooked about a minor fine. If the player has an issue with it, he can appeal it through his union rep.

edit: lollers, game over :crazy:

Edited by Hurlshot

"Why did you even bring it up?"

Have you been following the conversation flow?

"The fact is the player's have way more rights than they did in the past, and there is nothing illegal or crooked about a minor fine."

Just ebcause they're better off now doens't mean it's right. And, there is soemthing crooked withs tealing someone's money.

Again, would you find it acceptable if Walmart fined their employees if they said/did something they dissaproved of?

I noticed how you CONVIENTLY ignored that 'cause you know it DESTROYS those who are pro NHL just ebcause they'd rather support billionaire owners isntead of millionaire players.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

"Why did you even bring it up?"

Have you been following the conversation flow?

Charming. My question was forwarded because not only did you fail to produce proper evidence as to why the NHL is comparable to the mafia, but also because you claimed yourself not to be making that comparison in the first place when in effect you were.

"The fact is the player's have way more rights than they did in the past, and there is nothing illegal or crooked about a minor fine."

Just ebcause they're better off now doens't mean it's right. And, there is soemthing crooked withs tealing someone's money.

Again, would you find it acceptable if Walmart fined their employees if they said/did something they dissaproved of?

I noticed how you CONVIENTLY ignored that 'cause you know it DESTROYS those who are pro NHL just ebcause they'd rather support billionaire owners isntead of millionaire players.

R00fles!

How can it be stealing someone's money when there is an explicit set of rules established to govern incidents like this?

The Walmart employees do not have any obligations within their contractual ties to the company to pay fines for "stepping over the line." If there were rules like that the employees would know about them before taking the job.

Oh, and before you go on a rant about how they might be forced to take that job or something, don't, because it is entirely a hypothetical analogy that in no way corresponds to the situation at hand here.

The Leafs are down 4-1 against Detroit going into the third period. Detroit has scored all their goals on the powerplay. This is the seventh game in a row that the Leafs have lost. I'm going to bed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Uh, the Wal-mart argument doesn't work because they aren't part of a union, and Wal-mart can just fire them if they bad mouth the company. It also doesn't really apply to the situation AT ALL because the NHL doesn't have a simple employer-employee relationship. It's a complex system of owners, players, and league officials whose job it is to make certain the NHL stays fair and profitable. Obviously that's a difficult job, as we've had lockouts and bankrupt teams over the years.

When a player bad mouths the league officials, which refs are a part of, they are subject to a fine. But owners are held accountable as well, and there are times when they've been fined too.

Edit: The league cannot fire a player. In fact the Bertuzzi incident shows how difficult it can be to carry out a punishment. It required a committee and all sorts of union work to finally decide to suspend Bertuzzi for one season, but plenty of people think that was too light. Players accept the fines because they are well protected by their union.

Edited by Hurlshot

I see the 'hawks have signed old school winger Peter Bondra to a contract. Let's hope he can provide some secondary scoring and hasn't forgotten how to skate.

And sorry Laozi, but I hope my team bitchslaps your team in a bout four and a half hours. Go Oilers!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Bondra is only 38, so he should be able to give the Blackhawks a bit of help.

edit: I guess he put up 21 goals last year in Atlanta. I'm surprised it took so long for a team to pick him up.

Edited by Hurlshot

edit: I guess he put up 21 goals last year in Atlanta.  I'm surprised it took so long for a team to pick him up.

Yes, I find that peculiar too. He's still a quality player who I seem to remember having a pretty decent showing in the Olympics as well. Good for the Hawks.

Cool beans.

As for Bondra, I wouldn't get your hopes out for a stellar season or anything like that. A lot of the older players need training camp to get their timing back. I can't see him being half as effective as he used to be, but then half as effective should still spell help for the Blackhawks.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Sounds like the Bulin Wall is having a big game, albeit with some help from his goalposts. <_<

And the Oilers themselves. Stay out of the box, you goons!!

Ah well, Laozi and his team got the better of us tonight. ;)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif