NHL

Darque

Wow.. That certainly seems like an odd trade. I mean, Jack Johnson, isn't he supposed to be this potential superstar? A future franchise player? JJ and Oleg Tverdovsky for.. what? Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger?! Who the hell are they??

Sounds to me like the Kings made one hell of a deal and the 'Canes office are the dumbest people in hockey. But it might just be me :devil:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"Sounds to me like the Kings made one hell of a deal and the 'Canes office are the dumbest people in hockey. But it might just be me"

Dumbest people in hockey don't win Stanley Cups...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

? Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger?! Who the hell are they??

I don't think Gleason is a blue chip defenseman, but Belanger is one of the better checking line centers in the league. He can put up points from a defensive role, but tends to spend a fair bit of time on the IR each season.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I smell something fishy about this trade. The talk of JJ not wanting to sign in Carolina becomes all the more plausible with this lop-sided little affair. I can buy that Carolina wanna improve their win-now window, but Gleason and Belanger??? Sure, they also get to dump Tverdovsky's contract ($2.5m for a 7th defenseman somehow isn't so great value), but still there's something here that doesn't quite add up.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Only a few more sleeps until the real action starts up. We're finally starting to get the last of our hockey pool entries in. People are a little pissed that tomorrow is the cutoff, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be stuck at my computer for a four hour stretch entering name after name after putting in a day at work.

And another thing I'm looking forward to this season is some more weird coaching moves from Craig MacTavish.

Last year he made us ponder when he would put Ryan Smyth in as a center in key moments when he had to great skaters rested and on the bench.

And if the preseason is any indication MacT is going to cause a few raised eyebrows with skating five forwards during a powerplay. It's been working so far, but it could get interesting when the first shorthanded goal against goes in.

RAISE THE BANNER BIOTCHES!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Last year he made us ponder when he would put Ryan Smyth in as a center in key moments when he had to great skaters rested and on the bench.

What was that? The only time Smyth was really ever in to play center was on the powerplay. For the most part, the Ryan Smyth center experiment happened on 2003-2004.

I could be out to lunch. But there were times during the cup run that I'd shake my head and say "You've got three elite centers in Stoll, Peca and Horcoff, why is Smytty taking the draw?"

Back to the present, from the sounds of it last nights final exhibition game between the Oil and the 'Nucks was quite the chippy affair. Torres laid a decent bitchslapping on Matt Cooke the way Rod described it. And howzabout those special teams? Three powerplay goals, and only one PP against through eight penalties. Not bad for a 'thin' blueline, depending on who you listen to.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

What about the Cheechoo and Thornton pairing, did they get a chance to play together much? I'd read somewhere that they had both missed games with minor injuries.

It would be good to know, because looking over the hockey pool entries so far it looks like Ovechkin is the runaway favorite in the top box with Stall, Thorton, Jagr and Heatley.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I bit if you looked at it game by game, most of Smyth's draws came on the PP, as Edmonton did have the most PP (141) during the post season, and he centered between Samsonov and Hemsky.

The other ones would have been when Horcoff was out of the circle, or on the PK when all sorts of wierd things happen.

Edited by alanschu

I bit if you looked at it game by game, most of Smyth's draws came on the PP, as Edmonton did have the most PP (141) during the post season, and he centered between Samsonov and Hemsky.

Brilliant Alan, that's what I couldn't rememeber.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I was 7th out of 12, with a snake draft order, not that that would affect a guy like me in the middle.

My picks were:

Briere

Gomez

D. Sedin

Havlat

Gionta

Hemsky

Lidstrom

Subov

Bouwmeester

S. Salo

Rolston

Torres

Seabrook

Fernandez

Niittymaki

Theodore.

Your picks all look pretty solid, Alan. But there were no better goalies available than Theodore? That guy ****s the bed nearly every time a puck gets fired at him.

Then again with Joe Sakic and Hejduk he'll probably still pick up at least twenty wins. Let's just hope you're not banking on him getting you any points via a shutout.

Bouwmeester could be on the verge of another pretty big season in Florida as well, nice pick!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I picked Theodore because he's going to play. I also didn't realize Niittymaki hurt himself recently either, because I am dumb.

Theodore was my sleeper pick though. Last year was a bad year, but outside of that he's been a very solid goalie. If he bounces back then that'd be nice.

Naturally, when I said Subov I meant Zubov :thumbsup:

Here's my draft order:

1. (7) N. Lidstrom D

2. (18) M. Fernandez G

3. (31) S. Zubov D

4. (42) B. Gionta RW

5. (55) D. Briere C

6. (66) A. Hemsky RW

7. (79) S. Gomez C

8. (90) A. Niittymaki G

9. (103) D. Sedin LW

10. (114) J. Theodore G