Wizardry 8

My impression of the game.

Pros: Well balanced, detail-intensive character and party creation and development. Lots of fun classes, races, spells, and skills to mess around with. If you like micro-managing party and character advancement, you'll have a blast. Has some interesting factional politics. Also, it looks nice for its time.

Cons: It's a combat hack that bogs down occasionally. The phase-based combat system goes really slow when there are lots of combatants. A large % of your time with the game will be waiting for your opponents to finish moving. Difficulty scaling is inconsistent. Has the sci-fi/fantasy crossover (like Might & Magic) that turns some people off.

Overall, it's worth playing, but be prepared to get frustrated with the slow combat and the occasional large jumps in opponent difficulty.

IIRC, my party was Valkrie, Monk, Ranger, Gadgeteer, Alchemist, Mage.

Would you say the pros outweigh the cons? Also, is there any roleplaying? Or is it just an RPG-lite like the jagged alliances?

I think the game is worth playing (especially at the price it probably goes for today), but mostly for the wonkish statistical character development. If you've played Wizardry 6 or 7, some of the plot & backstory will be interesting, too.

Apart from picking sides in the factional struggles, there isn't much in the area of roleplaying. Some of it goes on without your involvement, though. When you create your characters, along with a voice, you choose a personality. There's a decent selection. The game uses these to provide some intra-party chatter that is actually pretty amusing.

I find games that have more then 2 sequels boring.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, but since you're a kid i'll let you off the hook.

"Since you're a kid i'll let you off the hook"

Shut the hell up. I do know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that I don't like games that have more then 2 sequels.

Just because you are a 40 year old loser browsing the Obsidian forums under the name Lale Kikkeli, which is probably your KotOR name, doesn't mean that I am any less knowalgable then you are. If Wizardry 8 doesn't have 7 sequels, then I was mistaken, but that doesn't give you the right to tell me what I know, and don't know.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, but since you're a kid i'll let you off the hook.

Shut the hell up. I do know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that I don't like games that have more then 2 sequels.

Just because you are a 40 year old loser browsing the Obsidian forums under the name Lale Kikkeli, which is probably your KotOR name, doesn't mean that I am any less knowalgable then you are. If Wizardry 8 doesn't have 7 sequels, then I was mistaken, but that doesn't give you the right to tell me what I know, and don't know.

I'm sure you mean prequels. And you obviously havent played the game, which is why your opinion is just stupid. But whatever, you live you learn.

Wiz 8 is old-school, for better or worse (yes, it's an over-used term but quite appropriate).

The biggest attraction is very, very detailed character and party development. With up to 8 characters per party and a huge number of races and classes, the combinations are enormous. Wiz8 fans sometimes use spreadsheets to work on party combinations.

Otherwise, it's a large, fairly open gameworld broken into areas with some factional nuances but otherwise, it's a dungeon-crawler that just isn't set in dungeons. The dialogue has some reasonable depth but uses a key-word system instead of dialogue-trees.

If you like older style RPGs with a lot of party development and a combat focus, it's pretty good. Get the the little mod that speeds up the combat animations and re-balances a little, because the vanilla game has way too many lengthy random combat sequences.

Oh - and being #8 has no bearing on the quality in this case at all.

I'm sure you mean prequels. And you obviously havent played the game, which is why your opinion is just stupid. But whatever, you live you learn.

No, I mean if the 1st Wizardry had 7 sequals.

No, I mean if the 1st Wizardry had 7 sequals.

So you dont like the first Wizardry? Don't blame you, it was made in the late 70s or early 80s.

Wow, Krookie seems to have a bit of a temper.

Anyways, Wizardry 8 has a very interesting development story, which is why Krookie's comments probably upset some folks (I know it upset me.) Basically Sir-Tech, the developer, was trampled under the feet of the big corporate companies. They refused to sell out and managed to push out Jagged Alliance 2:UB and Wizardry 8 with incredibly small teams. Despite being undermanned and underfunded, they made some extremely creative projects. There was nothing boring about there work. Both JA2 and Wizardry 8 were critically celebrated, but couldn't compete with the demonspawn that EA floods the shelves with.

No, you jerks are on the wrong side. Krookie is right. It's Lare Kikkeli who is in the wrong on this one.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Look, I'm just saying you're an opinion that is stupid.

Edited by thepixiesrock

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I fixed it. Thanks for telling me about the word I was missing. Yeah, nice going, helping out your enemy. Idiot.

Yeah, I got nothing.