I hate dentists

Hurlshort

I actually looked up the deep cleaning thing, and I guess it's pretty common, particularly for some who neglected to get a regular cleaning for 5 years.

Sounds bunk. I see the dentist about as often as you, and have never had to go in for multiple cleanings (though sometimes I can get some nasty stain along the molars, so I'm sure the hygenist loves me.

Though my most recent visit (a few years ago) had them using some tool that shot water, and vibrated exceptionally fast and it cleaned stain off relatively easily.

Though I think I'm a bit of an enigma. I have never really had strong brushing habits, nor do I visit the dentist regularly. Yet, I have never had a cavity. Go figure.

As for those talking about wisdom teeth, I had all four of mine pulled. My two top ones were coming in fine, but my bottom two were fully impacted, and were literally coming in horizontal, and would have eventually been pushing against the roots of my back molars.

I opted to be put under, because to remove the teeth, they had to cut my gums, chisel into my jawbone, and then proceed to break the tooth and pull it out, a chunk at a time.

To make things even more fun, the blood clot in my lower right socket came out, leaving the nerve fully exposed, and giving me the infamous "dry socket." The pain was nigh unbearable. The only thing that felt worse was when the dentist put in a strip to help cover the nerve. The pain was so unbearable that I actually passed out. I would seriously rather get kicked in the testicles. The almost as great part was that a week later, I had to have the strip replaced. Fortunately, the socket had started to heal so it wasn't quite as ungodly painful. Just exceptionally agonizing. About on par with a kick in the groin.

It was certainly the happiest time in my life :-

Edited by alanschu

There was this poll done one time, for people who had cavities or not, then which of those people flossed regularly or not. It was funny because almost all the people who hadn't had cavities didn't floss regularly, whereas most of the people who had cavities did floss regularly.

Though it was funny seeming at first (flossers get cavities), the point was made that the people who got the cavities didn't want them again, and so were prompted to floss regularly, whereas the people who never had cavities weren't prompted to floss, since they never had tooth problems. Saying that flossers get cavities a lot more than non-flossers would be a logical fallacy, like "post hoc".

Edited by Blank

I've only ever had four cavities, counting the root canal, and that was after a month and a half of binge snack food eating and soda drinking, with next to no brushing....yes, I didn't go anywhere during that time, meaning that I could care less what my breath smelled like.

...Though, come to think of it, the foliage surrounding the house was much more yellow than I remembered by the end of it.

Anywho, it's perfectly normal for wisdom teeth to come in correctly, right? I haven't had a problem with mine, and the dentist said he thought there was enough room for them.

And Alan....why the hell didn't you go for anesthetic??

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I did get anesthetic when the teeth were removed. I was out like a light. And everything was fine (except my mouth was frozen solid, so I was drooling and talking like a moron. It was interesting to need a mirror to have a drink for the first few hours).

I didn't happen to have any anesthetic with me at my parents home where the dry socket occurred.

All of the really painful stuff happened a week after my wisdom teeth were removed. And they weren't going to give me anesthetic for the 5-10 seconds unholy, excurciating pain that it took for the dentist to put that strip in the nerve cavity. He was kind enough to warn me that it would hurt...a lot.

Edited by alanschu

My dentist thinks I'm dead :(

My dentist is dead. :(

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I should probably get that looked at.

I would say so, yes.

As a relatively infrequent resident of the UK, can I say that National Health dentistry is a truly marvellous institution? Every time I use it I think it can't possibly get any worse, and every time I return from two or three years abroad to find it has, and then some. I recently registered with an NHS dentist, and after a four month wait to get on their books, I was told there was a five month wait before I could get any treatment. I gather this is actually much better service than many areas of the country.

Anyway, I went private. My credit card still hasn't recovered. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Yeah, or you probaly weigh the coolness of a lip piercing against keeping your tooth enamel and take it out.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Ive just been at the dentist today and had my upper left wisdom tooth removed. It was a breeze, didnt feel a thing and it probably took the dentist less than 30 seconds to pull it out. I cant eat for another hour but after that its back to normal :)

But on the other hand, for my lower teeth, he would have to first bend back the gum, file the bone in my jaw around the tooth and then pull them out :shifty:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have personal experience of what can happen. Tiny pieces of food gets lodged in the cavity, you get an infection and you have to use antibacterialmouthwash and maybe even eat penicillin for a week :shifty:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "