The Elder Scrolls games

ramza

My dad bought me, last summer, a new desktop computer but it turned out to be crappy as hell. I don't even know where he got it from, but he didn't pay much for it. It's a pentium 4 with only 5GB of HD!!!! Can you believe that? The graphics card must be crappy too.

I almost managed to play Kotor 1 with it but it seemed that I couldn't meet one (and only one! :'( *damn you*) requirement. I don't even remember what it was. There was almost no space left in the HD, so I uninstalled it. I then installed a few other games, and after completing them, I wanted to give another shot with Kotor. So I uninstalled them, tried to install Kotor and this stupid machine told me that I didn't have enough space for that! I tried to remove all the files and folders from my previous games, but for nothing. It seems that my HD's capacity was reduced to 3.5 GB. I really hate technology!!!!!

KotORs have a problem with integrated graphics card. It won't run on them. I think there is an unofficial fix though. Not sure, check the tech support forums.

Laptops are rarely good for gaming, unless built specifically for it and then they are quite pricey. Well... 3-4000$ maybe?

My dad bought me, last summer, a new desktop computer but it turned out to be crappy as hell. I don't even know where he got it from, but he didn't pay much for it. It's a pentium 4 with only 5GB of HD!!!! Can you believe that? The graphics card must be crappy too.

I almost managed to play Kotor 1 with it but it seemed that I couldn't meet one (and only one! :'( *damn you*) requirement. I don't even remember what it was. There was almost no space left in the HD, so I uninstalled it. I then installed a few other games, and after completing them, I wanted to give another shot with Kotor. So I uninstalled them, tried to install Kotor and this stupid machine told me that I didn't have enough space for that! I tried to remove all the files and folders from my previous games, but for nothing. It seems that my HD's capacity was reduced to 3.5 GB. I really hate technology!!!!!

KotORs have a problem with integrated graphics card. It won't run on them. I think there is an unofficial fix though. Not sure, check the tech support forums.

Laptops are rarely good for gaming, unless built specifically for it and then they are quite pricey. Well... 3-4000$ maybe?

Actually, the computer I was tallking about in that post was the desktop one.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Actually, the computer I was tallking about in that post was the desktop one.

Oh... Yes. You did. :">

Can't you upgrade then?

It's a pentium 4 with only 5GB of HD!!!! Can you believe that?

As a matter of fact, I can't believe that.

Believe or not, that's how it is. I was really surprised when I discovered this. This computer is weird though because its box is longer horizontally than vertically (in other words, it's not the tower box most of us are used to see but it looked more like the really old computers from the late 80s and early 90s... it's a pentium 4 though, so it's definitely new). I suspect that some colleague of my father gave it to him. That computer was probably used in an office and didn't serve any other purpose than typing texts and sending mails.

EDIT: astrOcreep: to answer your question, I believe this pc is not upgradable because of the box's design. I will probably hae to buy a new one. Actually, I believe I should wait till Dragon Age gets released so that I can play on the same computer all of the recent high spec games on my new pc (NWN2, FEAR, Kotor 1&2, Oblivion, GTA, etc).

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Where did they even find the 5 GB drive? The thing must be huge! I remember having a 4 GB drive in 1998!

I don't even install stuff on my Windows Partition (which is 35 GB), yet my C drive is already taking up 7 GB! My windows folder alone is 2 GB, which would be 40% of your hard drive!

Where did they even find the 5 GB drive?  The thing must be huge!  I remember having a 4 GB drive in 1998!

I don't even install stuff on my Windows Partition (which is 35 GB), yet my C drive is already taking up 7 GB!  My windows folder alone is 2 GB, which would be 40% of your hard drive!

Actually, I have noticed that the windows folder is approximatelly 2 GB on any machine. That is probably the case for my weird pc. If you add all the necessary programs to allow it to do basic tasks (Acrobat, etc), that will make 2,5-3 GB. Today, I only have 2.5 GB of free space on that pc with no games installed on it. That makes in total 5.5-6 GB of HD.

If I remember correctly, Kotor 1 requires you to have at least 5 GB of free space. Since my first installation worked fine, that means that I had around 7,5-8 GB of HD. Where did the 2 GB go in between? How did they disappear? That is a total mystery to me, but the facts are there: I can't install Kotor 1 on that pc, since it says that I don't have enough space.

It's quite disturbing because I have double-checked to make sure that all unnecessary files and folders were deleted. I still don't have enough space!!!

Damn computers!!! I will write my texts on marble from now on...

EDIT: Hades: no, my laptop has 50 GB of HD, not my desktop pc.

Edited by ramza

The 5 gig was a typo.  His computer is 50 gig.  Look at a higher post of his.

That was his thinkpad.

EDIT: Ramza's losing HD space now it seems. Hmmm. Not sure why you couldn't install it but could before. Post a pic of your Hard Drive properties. That seems VERY wierd. Unless of course you installed something.

Sectors don't just disappear though.

Edited by alanschu

Is Oblivion like Morrowind?

Yes. ALmost Identical

I mean, do we play it the same way or have there been some major improvements?

Yes. A few improvements. SOme things aren't as good either

Is there any chance that I will like it even if I didn't like Morrowind?

Unlikely

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yep, I hated Morrowind but like Oblivion.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

:)

Okie Dokie.

:blink:

5 GIG ?!?!?!

Yup. Amazing, ain't that?

Actually, I think I might like Oblivion because of its open-endness. I like travelling in virtual worlds, acting freely. I believe I will get pretty much the same experience as the one I had with GTA San Andreas.

Actually, I think I might like Oblivion because of its open-endness. I like travelling in virtual worlds, acting freely. I believe I will get pretty much the same experience as the one I had with GTA San Andreas.

Exactly.

The way Oblivion handles the open-endness and it's main story... It's almost exactly like a GTA3 game (not to mention the fact that you can steal peoples horses).

Then why did you not like Morrowind?

The graphics and the interface were unappealing. And the game automatically started in first-person mode. As I thought it was the only mode available, I gave it up.

Oblivion seems to have nicer graphics and seems to offer a lot more than Oblivion did (maybe because it has better technology). Just note that I am not looking for the ultimate role-playing experience. I am fine with action-adventure games too.

I just got falsely accused of horse-stealing. The monk guy said I could take a horse, but the woman in the next town decided that it was stolen :) . So I loaded a saved game and ran instead. :blink:

Oblivion is much greener than Morrowind (grass for the horses, I guess). However, Morrowind looked prettier on my old GeForce FX5200 than Oblivion does on my 6600GT. It's really struggling with the grass, which only appears within a very small radius, and anything off in the distance looks like green mush.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The graphics and the interface were unappealing. And the game automatically started in first-person mode. As I thought it was the only mode available, I gave it up.

Oblivion seems to have nicer graphics and seems to offer a lot more than Oblivion did (maybe because it has better technology). Just note that I am not looking for the ultimate role-playing experience. I am fine with action-adventure games too.

Better graphics = More fun :cool:

Better graphics = More fun :cool:

For a game like Oblivion? No dout. :cool:

I have not played Oblivion yet so I can not speak for it. Morrowind is pretty good. Good character development, many little side quests you can under take besides the main quest. Dialogues between your character and those they interact with are decent.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I'm sorry DR, did you say Morrowind has well written dialogue? :rolleyes:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: