FIFE - a next generation Fallout-like engine

Nedz moar normal mapinz lol

EDIT: Fife is pronounced as F- A- G in french.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of acronyms out there that mean something something similar in some language :-) Simply pronounce it as the English number 5, that's at least how I do it.

Diz be possibility wiff mega post processing, but these g33ks r teh 2D 4 teh winn4r.

To be fair: OpenAnno is still in an early stage of development and I'm absolutely sure that we'll see improvements in the field of graphics. Just give them some time :-) I wanted to give the project a little news coverage but I should have added a paragraph about the current status of it. On the other side: these pictures show that there is still quite some room for improvement so if you think you can do better, consider to get involved in the project.

Good job so far Barracuda, but you really ought to consider making an actual campaign. You can call it...FIFEout! Think of the possibilities:

Vault Dweller: Hey, did you have a good time last night?

Super Mutant: FIFE-tacular!

Vault Dweller: Yeah, I saw you leave with FIFEette.

Super Mutant: Oh man, as soon as we got out of the bar, she started FIFEing me.

Vault Dweller: Shut the FIFE up!

Super Mutant: Yeah!

Vault Dweller: Right in the FIFEing parking lot?

Super Mutant: FIFE-Yeah!

Vault Dweller: Oh! That is freaking FIFE!

--

It would be FIFEing glorious I tell you, glorious! And if anyone tells you otherwise just tell them to FIFE off!

FIFEout FTW!1

manthing2.jpg

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of acronyms out there that mean something something similar in some language :aiee:) Simply pronounce it as the English number 5, that's at least how I do it.

Say whatever you want, this is still the **** engine. :)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of acronyms out there that mean something something similar in some language :-) Simply pronounce it as the English number 5, that's at least how I do it.

Say whatever you want, this is still the **** engine. :ermm:

It wasn't really that funny the first time. It still isn't particularly funny. How about those not having anything constructive to contribute pack up their toys and play elsewhere for while? ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sorry, at first I was just pointing it out.

TBH, I don't really know how I'd use this engine, maybe in making a 2d isometric RPG... I'm guessing you can make some high res (or photorealistic) environments, right?

Do you have any plans on making a game for it? If only as a demo to show off what the engine can do?

'Grats on the release, but I'm part of those who only played a single 2d game in their life, so I guess I don't see the nostalgia factor or the need for a 2D game engine.

2D can be great system, especially in RPG's and RTS's.

visuals of Planescape Torment still aren't realistic aim for today's 3D game development, although Purgatorio project has done really great job

screenshot29.jpg

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

2d graphics look great in screenshots, but in motion they start to look more like paintings. Unless there's a perspective thingymagig like in Diablo 2, which made the graphisc pretty damn good.

EDIT: That does look really damn good.

'Grats on the release, but I'm part of those who only played a single 2d game in their life, so I guess I don't see the nostalgia factor or the need for a 2D game engine.

If you ever get the chance, even if very unlikely, to find Syndicate Wars in a bargain bin, you might want to give it a look at least. One of the most atmospheric "Bladerunner" type tactical combat games :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE update :-)

This time we'll cover the ongoing name change process of the project. We asked the community to send in proposals for a new name and new meanings for the FIFE acronym to underline that we've moved away from our Fallout roots. Now that the proposals have been sent in, we've opened a poll and every user who's registered at the forums got over three weeks to vote for two of the choices.

Furthermore our artist Lamoot started working on two new tutorials that should help FIFE users to create nice-looking isometric graphics. The birthday of the FIFE project is nearing as well; just one month left until FIFE turns three! Last but not least we ask the community to lend us a hand to track down a bug that affects a rather huge number of Linux users. In case you running Linux and ATI hardware don't hesitate to get in contact with us!

You can read about the details at the FIFE developer blog.

Ok, now I want to try it out. Tutorials always get me to try out learning hwo to use an engine.

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE update!

This time we got a whole pack of news for you today:

- Linux OpenGL bug that was worrying us for over a year finally fixed by OpenAnno developer!

- Rewrite of the rendering pipeline planned to improve performance and add the possibility of more advanced graphical features.

- FIFE becomes the Flexible Isometric Free Engine.

- 3 years of FIFE IRC birthday party at 2008/09/11.

- Departure of a founding developer. Who will it be?

You can read about it at the FIFE developer blog.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE news update!

This time we got quite some important news to announce: the FIFE-based real-time economy simulation and strategy game OpenAnno released its first public milestone recently. The primary purpose of this release is to show the framework in action and to attract some new interested developers for the OpenAnno project this way. Although there is rudimentary gameplay available, don't expect something too sophisticated our you'll end up disappointed. Their release comes in three flavours: precompiled binaries for 32 & 64bit Linux distros and a win32 installer:

* OpenAnno 2008.1 release download site

For the ones who want to get a first impression before downloading the release, there are screenshots and an official release trailer for your viewing pleasure :-)

Screenshot:

300px-Oa_rev1489_ingame1.jpg

Release trailer:

* Low quality youtube version.

* High quality MKV version (H.264 + Ogg Vorbis >> Matroska container).

Read the full blog posting at the FIFE developer blog :-)

• 3 months later...

Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE news update :-)

When I decided to step back from my position as project manager of FIFE so I could focus on my studies and private life back in September last year, I was hoping to find a new developer who would overtake my tasks and act as new project manager of FIFE. Unfortunately there were no long waiting queues of volunteers who would have liked to jump into this effort right away. On the other side I didn't invest much time and effort into finding a replacement for me as I was preparing for my final Latin exams back then. So now that that I got some spare free time on my hands, I'll tell you how you can contribute to the future of the FIFE project.

LinuxDonald, the former project manager of the FIFE-based OpenAnno project, recently got in contact with me and volunteered for taking over the project management duties of FIFE. I was quite happy that he's interested in this position as that's a good chance to resume the development of the project, that is currently on halt. The idea to create a cross platform open source isometric 2d game engine is one that I still believe in; it's just that I lack the time and motivation to continue supporting this project by being responsible for a vast number of tasks. Therefore I would like to help handing over the project to an active development team as much as possible.

You want to know, what the fuzz is about all about? Read the full news at the FIFE developer blog.