The Witcher E3 2006 demo movie

Cool. Looks good. Certainly better than anything found in the ES games, and more in line with NWN/KOTOR2/IE/FO. Thankfully, it's not like Oblivion or the silliness with what ME looks to be like dialogue wise...

:(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Witcher "storyline" movie which has a dialogue scene.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...ype=wmv&pl=game

Well, THAT looks good. Thanks for posting it. The options available there are very interesting. Hopefully the rest of the game is like that.

Plus, SECKS MINIGAME!

That actually looks kind of good.

I mean the quests, not the mini game. :(

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

We talked about this previously, Shadowstrider, and when I pointed out videos that showed more than Oblivion's we-faked-setting-a-dog-on-fire, you just hadn't looked at them. Not exactly their fault.

They are talking about combat now but they have spent much of their previous efforts showing off different quest solutions and multiple paths.

On the controls, there is full keyboard control including (remappable) WASD control, although I'm unclear how targeting would work.

We talked about this previously, Shadowstrider, and when I pointed out videos that showed more than Oblivion's we-faked-setting-a-dog-on-fire, you just hadn't looked at them.  Not exactly their fault.

You didn't point out anything you just said something to the effect of "there were some videos at E3."

They are talking about combat now but they have spent much of their previous efforts showing off different quest solutions and multiple paths.

I'm still waiting for evidence. A single video isn't solid proof of their "previous efforts showing off different quest solutions and multiple paths." It's proof that they had a demo with a few alternative ways to solve a quest. There is no proof that the entire game will be like that. Maybe it's just the opening scene, maybe it was just the demo, maybe it is the entire game.

I know you're excited about the Witcher, your overly zealous defense shines through every time you post about it. I, on the other hand, am cynical about all games. To date, I've seen 4 videos of the Witcher with any sort of dialogue. Three of which with little more than "this is what is happening." The fourth, as I was shown in this thread, actually has some dialogue and multiple ways to solve a quest. Maybe you have seen more, how about a link?

If and when it reaches the stores it looks like I'll be buying myself a copy. Using the old Aurora engine, these guys did a great job so far.

The only "minor" things that borthered me for an RPG-Action game like this, is the not in sync combat animations. Meaning the attacker and defender didn't block and fight in sync with one another on many occasions. Also, running seems extremely quick.

Possibly these are still bugs to iron out?

SS: now you've seen the video, I suppose you are rescinding your claims about the Witcher. Heh, that sounds harsher than I mean, but yeah - that's what I meant when I said Oblivion, the Witcher, and so far NWN2 have been similarly reserved in showing off dialogue. Whether that is good or bad, sensible or silly is debatable and that's not the point here I think - rather that everybody here would like to see some.

Oh, and if you are wanting proof about "showing off different quest solutions and multiple paths": the particular quest they showed off DID have what you asked. If you're wanting to see if it's consistent throughout the game, that is, obviously, impossible and unreasonable a request. That's like us watching Oblivion's dogburning video and saying "well that's not proof, we want to see wht the AI is like in the entire game."

It turned out that the dogburning video was not perfectly representative. Which is inevitable (i.e. I'm not being bitter / attacking here.). They've shown us bits of what will be in the game, and thats the best they can and will do. We can make informed estimates, such as the game will hopefully feature more quests like that one. Anything else? What are you really wanting?

SS: now you've seen the video, I suppose you are rescinding your claims about the Witcher. Heh, that sounds harsher than I mean, but yeah - that's what I meant when I said Oblivion, the Witcher, and so far NWN2 have been similarly reserved in showing off dialogue. Whether that is good or bad, sensible or silly is debatable and that's not the point here I think - rather that everybody here would like to see some.

Oblivion had much more than the simple dog-burning video showing off it's dialogue.

It had a 15-minute movie showing the opening sequence.

In the dog-burning demo, itself, it had a demo of the NPC-to-NPC interaction.

There were screenshots of it.

Honestly, the only way Oblivion could've showed more dialogue in previews and reviews was for them to show you the entire game, but then what incentive would there be for you to buy it? Even before working for Bethesda I knew what the writing was going to be like, based solely on reviews and videos.

As for NWN2, I don't think there is an information shortage with it, and NWN2 is more than just an RPG, it's also a toolset and a multiplayer w/ GM game. I think there is a fair balance of information regarding dialogue on NWN2.

The Witcher has, to my knowledge, 4 videos with dialogue. Only one of these has extensive dialogue, and it is a demo level. I'd love to know what claims I've made about the Witcher, other than it looks like a new Diablo and that the game was announced way, way too early.

Oh, and if you are wanting proof about "showing off different quest solutions and multiple paths": the particular quest they showed off DID have what you asked.

Did you bother to read my post?

If you're wanting to see if it's consistent throughout the game, that is, obviously, impossible and unreasonable a request. That's like us watching Oblivion's dogburning video and saying "well that's not proof, we want to see wht the AI is like in the entire game."

Well, if you had bothered to read my post, you'd know that I said that of the 4 videos with ANY dialogue that I've seen, they all had very little dialogue (specifically only instructions), the third being the prostitute/drinking video in this thread. To me, it looks like there will be a lot of "go here and do this" dialogue, with some nice dialogue thrown on as garnish. If there are more videos that show more than simple "we'll split up from here, you go that way," then I might

It turned out that the dogburning video was not perfectly representative. Which is inevitable (i.e. I'm not being bitter / attacking here.). They've shown us bits of what will be in the game, and thats the best they can and will do. We can make informed estimates, such as the game will hopefully feature more quests like that one. Anything else? What are you really wanting?

It wasn't perfectly representative how? I think it represented the quality of writing (good or bad is entirely up to you), and how it would appear in game. If you mean it wasn't perfectly representiative, as in manufactured for the demo, then sure. That's not really abnormal, and is also why I'm am cynical about the Witcher. Afterall, I've seen only one video with any dialogue of substance. The "bits" they've shown us haven't been all that immersive, with the exception of the prostitute/drinking guard video.

what do I want? How about more ia few more shots of (whether screenshots or movies) how quests are handed out. The journal/quest update system. Some more bits of dialogue.

Edited by Shadowstrider

It wasn't perfectly representative how?  I think it represented the quality of writing (good or bad is entirely up to you), and how it would appear in game. 

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahha

Shadowstrider wins.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

WOW! Did SS apply to work for the Wicther devs and he was turned down? He sure seesm to have some sort of vendetta against them? It's like he takes people praising The Witchers as some sort of personal attack. WOWSIES!

WOW! Did SS apply to work for the Wicther devs and he was turned down? He sure seesm to have some sort of vendetta against them? It's like he takes people praising The Witchers as some sort of personal attack. WOWSIES!

You're getting worse at trolling in your old age.

I've already said that the video with the prostitute/guard drinking is fairly impressive.

How is it trolling to guess on why you hate the Witcher too much? And, oh, saying one positive thing doesn't chnage this. I can say positive things about the Elder Scroll games as well... doens't mean I like them.

The fact of the matter is, you bash the Witcher seemingly just because you can. It seems... so personal. Not saying it is; but that's what it looks like.

Anyways, on topic, The Witcher looks like great fun! :cool:

P.S. i didn't know 29 was old... WOWSERS! :huh:

Edited by Volourn

• 3 months later...