Quantic Dream officially announces Heavy Rain

And you could play each level in many non-linear ways.

This is also true with Fahrenheit...

And "complex gameplay"... DX is a RPG/FPS, FH is a Adventure... guess that makes the difference in gameplay...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

This is also true with Fahrenheit...

And "complex gameplay"... DX is a RPG/FPS, FH is a Adventure... guess that makes the difference in gameplay...

Actually, that's one of my points of contention, nowadays, with adventures in general (the gameplay is almost inexistent) but perhaps I shouldn't go there.

Anyway, I think the adventure genre could get a breath of fresh air if someone started implementing branching storylines into the games. For example, it would be cool if, in Fahrenheit, you could trick the police into following another suspect right at the beginning of the game, thus originating a wildly different story progression.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, but there is some reason why they don't do that. Branching storylines make just that much additional work and cost too much $ and time.

They wanted to do with DX (

remember when Paul asked to join the NSF there is an option to stick with UNATCO

) but they dropped that one because of those reasons...

Give me a game who branches early on and not that much near the end (oh and for the end then also have multiple maps instead of just the same map on a different way)...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Give me a game who branches early on and not that much near the end (oh and for the end then also have multiple maps instead of just the same map on a different way)...

As far as I know there is no such game. :(

Anyway, my suggestion is to make a game where the main storyline is more or less linear, but where you can affect other characters in the game in a meaningful way. for example, a story where a side character suffers some sort of personal tragedy and the way that character reacts to said tragedy is determined by your actions towards him/her. Perhaps such a game would be a bit less expensive to develop.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, that is already the current way games use "non-linearity"...

You can find such in Fahrenheit and Deus Ex and many other games...

^

What always creeps me out is french voice actors trying to sound american. That voice and that stale, dead-eyes, model just gives me shivers...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Does this exist in a non mov format? :rolleyes:

*cough*Third post of the thread*cough*

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

The lip or the realism? :lol:

^

Probably the only video that awed me in E3. Yes, the lip was horrible, yes the eyes were creepy, but overall it was possible one of the best iterations of emotion portrayed through game engine. When the actor pointed the gun to the screen, teh illusion came off and I realised I was watching mocap, but for a fleeting while there...it really amazed me.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah, but there is some reason why they don't do that. Branching storylines make just that much additional work and cost too much $ and time.

Sure, if you want to add radically different path points. Except you don't have to create radically different path points - based on player choice - that are so different from each other as to require the often used apology of 'it would take too much of X resource - trust us, we know what we're talking about'.

Sure, if you want to add radically different path points. Except you don't have to create radically different path points - based on player choice - that are so different from each other as to require the often used apology of 'it would take too much of X resource - trust us, we know what we're talking about'.

Well, that is already the current way games use "non-linearity"...

You can find such in Fahrenheit and Deus Ex and many other games...

But that was not the original wish, was it... and that original wish (branching lines) was was opted for adventure games as Fahrenheit; but just not use-able...

(as apparently the now used method of pseudo-freedom like you describe is not good enough for some people to replay...)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

Reasons for replayability aren't constant; trying to narrow down several possible plot points into one single path isn't guaranteed to have the desired effect on it. Spector had full control over the game's development; his 'wish' could very well have found its way into the game's design if he wanted to. Hell, it's already plastered all over the game, only on various situations and in smaller scales. All it takes is to stop focusing on trivial things which don't have an effect on gameplay and move on up to what he really wanted to do.

only problem is that if you change somthing at the very beginning you essencially DOUBLE the size of the creative work. AND it's possible you DOUBLE the amount of information required for the maps because there have to be two versions. One you did X at the beginning so AB and C are set up and the other you did Y at the beginning and you DE and F are set up instead...

Also you might end up having to double the amount of maps simply because that'd be more acceptable than reusing the same map again. (you know... reviewers always saying "the environments are repetitive."?)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why wouldn't it be here to stay?

If whatever they're doing now sells, why bother investing more into design when the end result doesn't guarantee extra sales?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Why wouldn't it be here to stay?

If whatever they're doing now sells, why bother investing more into design when the end result doesn't guarantee extra sales?

oh, I agree. I was just saying to those who bemoan the lack of "true non-linearity", it ain't going to happen on major, commercial releases with voice acting and FMV sequences.

but a good game like Indigo Prophecy should have premium content available. that is one way to keep it interesting...new content in between titles.