The good ol' times...

ramza

You said it.

#1 (possible) Looking Glass Thief 3 fan 4eva

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah, and he just dragged Role-Player's honor into this now! There will be blood!

In any case, living in the past and reminiscing old games is one thing. Living in the past and fixating over games that never got released is quite another.

#1 Torn fan 4EVA

You will regret saying this and will be thanking me instead, when Jefferson will finally be released (no matter what form it takes).

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I just want a good game. If we finally get a "Jefferson" of some sort or another, I hope it's good.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Meh, that would just replace another game that would have been in its place given the same dev cycle.

If Jefferson is made as a NWN2 module, the dev cycle will be rather quick. BIO released 2 expansions in the same year, remember?

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I refuse to talk to imitations. Now... where's the original?

What part of "cut it" do you not understand?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I didn't know I had any sort of honor to begin with. Though I suspect I do look like a brat - Llyr's and Nick's picture is mine, only edited to look more manly because we know eyepatches and moustaches are all about manliness - I am not a real pirate because I only pirate games but don't use an eyepatch.

Meh, that would just replace another game that would have been in its place given the same dev cycle.

If Jefferson is made as a NWN2 module, the dev cycle will be rather quick. BIO released 2 expansions in the same year, remember?

Heh. Imagine the numbers of corners they'd have to cut to bring something the 'scope' of Jefferson to short module status. I'll take a complete product, thanks.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

OOOPS! I had no idea! I apologize for hurting indirectly your feelings, even though I wasn't referring to the guy on the pic when using the word 'brat'.

Edited by ramza

:Eldar's shaking his head with a bemused smile icon:

So, shall we talk about what age of gaming is the "golden age." I thought it was Ultima III.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I dunno, I pretty much agree with Llyranor, worshipping old games for their own sake is pretty sad. Sure, Xcom (for example) was a great game, and still is, but whine whine, why won't someone make a new Xcom, they don't make them like they used to, wah wah wah is laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I loved PST, and that's an understatment, it's my favorate peice of storytelling in any medium, and not for being 'just a game' but because in being a game it was able to bring to life a story that was powerful to begin with. Likewise, Giants, Hostile Waters, Sacrifice and Battlezone 2 are 4 of my favorate games, all from 'the good old days' and all pretty much finantial failures, while my current favorate game, Hearts of Iron 2, is hot of the shelf, and simply doesn't try to be more than it is.

What i'm saying is that there WERE 'good old days' for computer games, and they were days before console crap meant that anything that didn't appeal to the masses failed because on production values it had to compete with things that did appeal to the masses, and in the days before people really got obsessed with graphics and other such completely superficial things.

Look at the new Relic RTS, they're praised on the innovation on being able to blow things up! WOW! You could do that in Z 10 years ago. In fact, in terms of innovation, a game like Z blows most modern examples of it's own genre right out of the water. Likewise, Warzone 2100 by the now dead pumkin studios.

What i'm saying is that there WAS a 'golden age' of games, but only by vertue of modern games being more and more watered down with mainstream crap with, inevitably, caters to the lowest common denominator. However, nothing has really changed, either these games didn't sell, or are so old that nobody even cares, so the only real differance is that market types have realised that if they are going to invest, it's going to be in what's already proven.

Either way, clinging onto substandard antiquities is laughable at best.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"BIO released 2 expansions in the same year, remember?"

Of course, both had a year + work done on them. And, it wasn't neccessarily the same team(s) working on both. They also had those fools work on SOu which ended up being a joke, and then BIO had to come clean it up in the last month which shows in the horrible ch2, and so-so interlude.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Have you guys actually watched a daytime drama or do you just go by the 'ol 'it's only for stay at home mom types' or 'i once saw 5 minutes of a dramatic scene and it was too overwrought' opinion made by many?

Yep, and the writing doesn't compare, IMHO.

"nearly all emotion had to be conveyed through text and left to the imagination of the gamer."

A gamer shouldn't have to imagine emotion. The writing should convey. That said, I'm not saying PST sucks. There were plenty of emotional/drmaatic moments. I'm referring to the amnesiac story most specifically.

What I mean is, with no other medium to convey the emotion, the gamer has to visualize for himself. As an example, when the Nameless One is at the "Longing" Sensory Stone, seeing the conversation with Deionarra, we have to see the images in our minds, to see Deionarra's blind hope, and the other's cold manipulation. We have to hear it in their voices, because it's not done for us, as in a daytime soap or movie.

As for my (lack of) imagination, no need for me to defend it. After  nearly 2 decades of role-playing/dming , I think my imagination is in a good place.

Fair enough. I dunno you well enough to suggest otherwise. Apologies.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"As an example, when the Nameless One is at the "Longing" Sensory Stone, seeing the conversation with Deionarra, we have to see the images in our minds, to see Deionarra's blind hope, and the other's cold manipulation."

Like I stated, PST isn't lacking drama and emotion completely. In fact, you described one of my favorite parts of the game. :shifty:

Wrong.  It's greatest strength was allowing you to define who your character was in meaningful ways. 

Don't you mean define their character ?

I disagree, given the way the PC starts off the game, there's no reason for you to not be able to make the character your own.

Much more so than most other RPGs IMO.

I disagree, given the way the PC starts off the game, there's no reason for you to not be able to make the character your own.

Much more so than most other RPGs IMO.

As long as you want your character to be human male scarred and have shaggy hair I suppose you can :shifty: Lets not forget not being able to wear armour even though they meet the class requirements , because tatoos are part of the character concept.

You can define their character sure. But you can't create your own.

Lets see IWD.

Multiple races,both genders, huge range of classes (not just three) various ways to customise appearence.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yet no way to really express those characters in the game.

It's still much more free than many other RPGs. Pretty much all of the JRPGs are a write off in comparison, but there isn't too many on the CRPG side that let you go off and express yourself in your own way either.

I don't consider choosing different aesthetics of your character to be "making my own character" either. Just choosing different variations that the developer provided for me. Which is the classic limitation of CRPG games.

TNO is not really the PC's character. Nothing you do matters in the end. You ae predistined to go be part of the Blood War. You have no say (other than self destruction) so meh. You are designed by a past you have no control over, and your actions (both current and future) mean nothing. Hence, it's not truly your character; but a borrowed character. PST gives you chocies; but in the end those choices mena anything. Not to mention the illogical FFish equipment style (for all characters) which is just plain 'ol lame. Look at me! I'm naked and cna't wear armour? WHY? Just because. Look at me? I see a crossbow. I can't use it? WHY? Because it's for a silly npc only. HAHAHAHA!!!

At least in KOTOR's amnesia story, at least the ex-Reven truly *is* your character, and what decisions you make are yours to make.