Damn you, Commies!

Baley

Chimps are more intelligent than 4-5 years old human children. Chimps can talk if properly trained(raised) with sign language.

They solve problems by reasoning and experimentation.

All animals have emotions.

Yes, but five year olds don't have the vote ...

Think about it. Not too long ago(in the 50s) we "Whites" considered "Blacks" animals and used them pretty much the same way as we use most animals now, short of actually eating them of course. It took major conflicts and a major change of thought for this to stop(mostly).

They are living creatures after all and not very different from us. So why not?

That was the whole point (subtext) of the films and tv series based on the Planet of the Apes.

Although I don't agree with the Judeo-Christian concept of the world and all her inhabitants are at the beck and call of humans, I think I would rather ask you what you are trying to achieve ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

LOL I have created a similar thread in my College's forum and have posted there everything we have been saying and every link we have been given. People started getting annoyed by all this spam, and one guy sent me a mail entitled "eat this!" with the following link:

http://orange32.com/monkeypants/

mmmm, I enjoy so much annoying other people. I have to find something else now....

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Chimps are more intelligent than 4-5 years old human children. Chimps can talk if properly trained(raised) with sign language.

They solve problems by reasoning and experimentation.

All animals have emotions.

Yes, but five year olds don't have the vote ...

Think about it. Not too long ago(in the 50s) we "Whites" considered "Blacks" animals and used them pretty much the same way as we use most animals now, short of actually eating them of course. It took major conflicts and a major change of thought for this to stop(mostly).

They are living creatures after all and not very different from us. So why not?

That was the whole point (subtext) of the films and tv series based on the Planet of the Apes.

Although I don't agree with the Judeo-Christian concept of the world and all her inhabitants are at the beck and call of humans, I think I would rather ask you what you are trying to achieve ...

I'm only asking questions, "thinking out loud".

Did the article say monkeys would have the right to vote? I don't remember that. And it would be too much.

I vaguely remember this being raised before, possibly in New Zealand? I also remember talking about it with friends after watching a news item about Koko the gorilla who apparently knows 1000 signs from American Sign Language. Can we deny 'human' rights to a creature who seems able to think and express herself the way we do? On the other hand, there are scientists who dispute whether she actually understands the signs she uses or just learns to reproduce signs because her handlers reward her.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Astr0, I was merely suggesting that the "female" animal rights manifesto (that all things furry and cute should be preserved, whilst those creatures horrid and ugly, like spiders, should be exterminated) should not be persued: we need to respect all creatures in the web of life, lest we suddenly realise just how inter-connected humans are to their ecosystem. :(

Steve: I'm just finishing a book called The Symbolic Species, by Terrence Deacon, which is subtitled The co-evolution of language and the human brain. While this is, in fact, a scientific dissertation and doesn't lend itself readily to summary, I can give a few points here. (I did intend to make a more detailed post about it, later, once I had finished.)

Basically, humans are unique in that they use symbolic logic. teaching chimps is difficult (but see below), because they do not grasp some of the counter-intuitive logic required to make specific examples less important than the general rule they represent. For example, teaching a chimp a sentance requires that all the nonsensical sentences are overtly demonstrated as wrong; the chimp rarely (if ever) is able to make this judgement.

I have copied a couple of relevant passages from chapter four, below.

The most advanced symbolic capabilities demonstrated by any non-human species to date, appear to have developed almost by accident in a very young chimp named Kanzi

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I am writing a comedy with a friend. In it the dictator tries to curry favour ith the west by granting human citizenship to 15,000 bonobo monkeys. Unfortunately this backfires because of course virtually all the bonobos are swiftly arrested for sexual harassment and flinging excrement at people in addition to breaking the laws on nudity and vagrancy.

We treat people just as badly if not worse than chimps.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I am writing a comedy with a friend. In it the dictator tries to curry favour ith the west by granting human citizenship to 15,000 bonobo monkeys. Unfortunately this backfires because of course virtually all the bonobos are swiftly arrested for sexual harassment and flinging excrement at people in addition to breaking the laws on nudity and vagrancy.

o:)

Edited by sucky

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

We treat people just as badly if not worse than chimps.

Worse.

But the animals are innocent ... :blink:"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The PSOE's justification is that humans share 98.4% of our genes with chimpanzees, 97.7% with gorillas, and 96.4% with orangutans.

But, Over 40% of the predicted human proteins share similarity with fruit-fly or worm proteins, so insects are people too!

Actually, human beings also share 50% of our genes with... a banana.

http://www.wasdarwinright.com/homology-f.htm

So bananas are people too! Except then the chimpanzees will eat them. And if they're given human rights, then they're subject to human laws too! So they will be guilty of murder! w00t! Take that you damn, dirty apes!

Edited by Ginthaeriel