The Chosen One Chooses NWN2

Volourn

Nope. Wrong. Error. You lose. Game over.

The bottom line is you  more or less have a sword in your body. Deal with it.

The dictionary appears to disagree.

Synonyms: exaggerate, inflate, magnify, overstate

These verbs mean to represent something as being larger or greater than it actually is:

lets see a shard is a part of a sword. So claiming it is a sword , yep your exagerating.

no you dont more or less have a sword in your body any more than having a piece of shrapnel in your body means you have an artillery shell in you :luck:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Keep spinning in your defense in this poor start (and almost comeplete rewrite) of the NWN 2 OC story. :luck:

Bottom line is you have a sword up your butt.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Keep spinning in your defense in this poor start (and almost comeplete rewrite) of the NWN 2 OC story. :ermm:

Bottom line is you have a sword up your butt.

"You see, the missing shard is lodged in you, stuck there when you were but a babe"

see no mention of swords. No mention of butts. :luck:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The shard is a piece of sword. The butt is a part of the body. Close enough for government work to make the statement:"you got a sword up your butt' accurate enough for my satisfaction.

The shard is a piece of sword. The butt is a part of the body. Close enough for government work to make the statement:"you got a sword up your butt' accurate enough for my satisfaction.

Say it slowly.

exaggeration.

Hardly an accurate representation of the story. If anyone here is trying to make the story something it isnt. It's you.

478327[/snapback]

I think the bottom line with the "chosen one" device is that cRPGs are now about half adventure game and half RPG. That appeals to a wider market and, quite frankly, makes it easier to tell the story.

However, if you are the "chosen one" by happenstance instead of some ancient prophecy or because you are part diety, etc, then that is a welcome variation of it.

The intense backstory is just too effective as a storytelling device to think that it will ever go away. What we can hope for is multiple backstories (and slightly different objectives) so that, while we may be on a yellow brick road, we have some say (within the first 10 hours of the game) as to which yellow brick road we take.

Dragon Age, apparently, will feature multiple backstories.

"To be the same as NwN you would have to send a Gythanki warparty to wipe everyone out and then have the PC just encounter level 1 creatures. That makes a good deal less sense than just being the victim of an accident."

The PC was unimportant. The attack wasn't against the PC; but a search for the creatures. The PC meant crap. He wasn't chosen...

The PC was chosen by Aribeth to recover the creatures. She chose to let the survival of Neverwinter depend on him/her -- an inexperienced, still wet-behind-the-ears youngster who had graduated from the academy just that day.

She made this choice because the PC was supposed to be a remarkably talented individual, who had completed their academy training with astonishing results. He/she was SPECIAL in that way. Something that was remarked by multiple NPC's in the prologue.

So, we have a remarkably talented youngster with no connection to the city of Neverwinter - let alone its political powers - whatsoever, but who gets chosen by one of the most powerful people in Neverwinter to save the entire city from a deadly, destructive plague... If this isn't a chosen one story (with a setup that imo makes very little sense), then I don't know what is, Volourn.

Unlike the PC in NWN2 where the entire game from the get go - with no action from the PC - is 100% focused on the PC and the sword stuck up his behind. Sounds like a Chosen (and a crappy one at that) Story to me.

How on earth does that make the story a chosen one story??? The PC is just some poor schmuck who, as an infant, happened to be living near the site of a battle and got a piece of sword that exploded across the planes when it was destroyed during the battle stuck in him/her.

The owners of the blade have spend years gathering the pieces of their broken weapon, while the PC has been living his/her perfectly ordinary life, and then one day -- BOOM! They come to claim the piece that's inside the PC. By a stroke of luck he/she survives the battle that ensues and has little choice but to set out and try to discover what in the nine hells can be done to get this bloody sword piece out of their body.

There is no mention of the PC being chosen by anyone, mortal or divine, to do anything, but if they want to stay alive they have no choice but to try to find out what can be done to get rid of what they have inside them. Not to mention the fact that the PC's fellow villagers - or anyone else for that matter - probably wouldn't appreciate someone who has planar beings hunting them sticking around for too long.

The story is about the PC, yes, but no one cares whether he/she lives or dies. No one cares because nothing depends on it -- there is no city or land or universe to be saved. NOTHING depends on the survival of the PC and if he/she dies, well, tough luck and too bad. The Giths will have their sword and will probably go back to doing what they've always been doing -- roaming the planes, fighting Illithids and Githzerai. No-one loses anything, except for the PC.

This is not a chosen one story and you know it Volourn. This story seems more akin to Planescape: Torment's story than to anything that was seen in the BG and NWN titles. It is a story of self discovery and survival. And it sounds very good at that.

L.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

"This is not a chosen one story and you know it Volourn."

Only trolls tell others what they know.

And, oh, this is *nothing* like the PST story. Nothing. I'll take PST's amnesia story over 'sword in butt' story any day of the eon. Thank you very much.

Only trolls tell others what they know.

lol

Yea. Ok. That was very constructive and mature of you.

And, oh, this is *nothing* like the PST story. Nothing. I'll take PST's amnesia story over 'sword in butt' story any day of the eon. Thank you very much.

I didn't say it was the same, or even similar. I said it was closer to that story than to the BG and NWN series' stories and I stand by that.

L.

My Backloggery

"No need for the insult."

It's one thing to give his opinion which was, overall, well thought out); but it's null and void when he tries to tell me what I 'know'.

He could think my opinion, thoughts, and idea sucks; but I post what I 'think' or 'know'; not what others' do or think I 'know'.

"That was very constructive and mature of you."

As was you trying to tell me what I 'know'. :shifty:

Edited by Volourn

"No need for the insult."

It's one thing to give his opinion which was, overall, well thought out); but it's null and void when he tries to tell me what I 'know'.

He could think my opinion, thoughts, and idea sucks; but I post what I 'think' or 'know'; not what others' do or think I 'know'.

"That was very constructive and mature of you."

As was you trying to tell me what I 'know'. :shifty:

I don't think I gave any indication anywhere in my post that I thought your opinion simply "sucked" and that that was the driving force behind my arguments.

The intention was to give constructive argumentation to your earlier posts, some of which were, in my opinion, bordering on immaturity. The "and you know it Volourn" comment was simply a way to put some force behind it, because it seemed to me that you were writing off some of the other posts in this thread through "witty" remarks instead of constructive arguments. And even now you seem to be focusing on and fussing over a very small aspect of my post, instead of providing arguments to support your own opinion. It makes me wonder who should really be labeled the troll here...

But, fine. You can strike the "and you know it" comment from my post. Does that leave anything else that you'd like to fuss over, or are you now maybe willing to provide some arguments to support your own opinion?

L.

Edited by Lorfean

My Backloggery

Obsidian, where post counts mean jack **** when it comes to quality and reason. Me being case in point.

Arr and welcome

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds