Favorite Star Wars Movie?

What is you favorite movie out of the six?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is you favorite movie out of the six?

• The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi

In contrast, ESB was filled with excellent character development, cliffhangers, plot twists, and more mature treatment of good and evil (in an imperfect world, should one let one's friends die in order to ensure victory for Good later, or save them now, and risk Evil triumphing?).

Yes, that's exactly why ESB is the best of them all.

The original movie is a very classic adventure-film with all the highs and lows as well as all the classic archetypes in there (the young and clueless hero with a dream, the mysterious old helper, the reluctant hero, the damsel-in-distress, the evil "black knight", etc., etc.). It was high fantasy set in space with all the climaxes it needed.

But ESB went further. The problem with high fantasy is frequently the problem of "where do we go from here?". Usually they end with every problem being solved and all the bad guys being dead or defeated. But what happens the next day? Where the heroes go after that?

ESB told precisely that and took the characters seriously beyond their initial high fantasy archetype. When Han and Leia become involved, they become true characters beyond their archetypes, because this is what people do in real life. When Luke - the great and pure hero - is forced to humble himself to learn from Yoda and later learns of his heritage, he grows so far beyond the simple "peasant hero" he was in the previous movie that it is just staggering - I still remember the shock it was when Vader cut his hand off and then told him he was his father.

You can say what you want - I'll maintain that if someone asks which scene most readily comes to mind if someone mentions Star Wars, then it will be "No, Luke - I am your father!!" and no other! Deny it all you want - I won't believe you! :luck:

Anyway, best thing in TPM is Duel of Fates :)

That is correct. I love lightsaber battles, just like I do battles in space (ships fighting). Not only was the battle good but the music for it was perfect.

yeah i have to agree, the first time we observe and watch such a compelling duel with modern graphics, and amazing acrobatics instead of dodge-ass-ROTJ duels where luke skywalker was hitting darth vaders still lightsaber

ROTS would be my favorite, i liked the opening battle scene.  and ESB would have to be next.  then AOTC.  TPM wasnt so bad with the ending battle, but i hated the gungans.  ANH and ROTJ were just terrible in my opinion, i hated the sappy, happily-ever after endings, especially all the fireworks in ROTJ and the rebel gathering in ANH.  the award metals given to the heroes just made it feel too much like a fairy tale.  i prefer movies where the good guys sort of win, but lose as well.  or even better, when the good guys lose  :p

as for lightsaber battles, the one in TPM was cool.  the one in AOTC between yoda and dooku was really cool.  the fight between yoda and palpy wasnt a lightsaber dual so much as it was a challenge as to who was stronger in the force.  the stunts were still pretty good, though.  the dual between Anakin and Obi-wan just blew me away, but i thought the ending came around as unexpected, almost too quick.  Obi-wan's dual with grevious had a lot of potential, but wasnt much in the end.  you never really got to see how grevious could fight against less powerful jedi.  the dual between Anakin and dooku in both movies did not contain much acrobats, but the emotion in them made the duals interesting to watch.

compared to the NT, the duals from the OT "are like children playing with toys", as kreia said.  I watched them all in order, just for fun, and was sorely dissapointed with the action.  the dual with vader and luke in ESB could be summed up by saying "they fight".  same with the dual in ANH.  i know these are much older movies, but that is why i like ROTS better.  the space fights in the OT were bad as well. 

anyway, there's my opinion.  dont flame me if you dont agree.

i believe the reason why people like RotS is because it completed the story for us, and it was the most modern film made out of all of them, so had teh advantage of better graphics and more, better explosions. lets face it the republic battle at the start was better then the one in ROTJ and TRM (only technology wise, not storywise)

I guess I just felt that Anakin's seduction was quite believable, mainly due to Ian McDiarmaid's great acting (until his face turned into the one we all know and love...).

I must respectfully disagree. I found it completely ridiculous. "Help me save my wife!" "Sure, but you must convert to the Dark Side!" "Okay, I'll go kill some kids now."

In contrast, ESB was filled with excellent character development, cliffhangers, plot twists, and more mature treatment of good and evil (in an imperfect world, should one let one's friends die in order to ensure victory for Good later, or save them now, and risk Evil triumphing?).

I don't whole-heartedly disagree, ESB was everything you say it was, but to say Anakin's seduction was completely ridiculous is slightly over-the-top.

Firstly, Love is a strange thing. It helps people to have a purpose in life, being loved by someone brings people comfort and knowing the sense that if anything were to go wrong that person would be there for you, to hold you up as the world crashes down around you. There are a lot of people who give anything to hold onto that connection.

Sure most people wouldn't kill children to save that connection. But for the same reason why mankind isn't perfect, there are people who will do just that.

I'm not going to be racist or anything, but you can drew comparisons to today's world. There are people who are willing to become martyrs, and kill people, children even perhaps by accident, to protect their beliefs but most importantly for those they care about.

And when you see Anakin in that light, I realise that his just another one of those people who are willing to do what they think is right for their loved ones.

Now being a martyr doesn't mean you have to turn to the Darkside, because remember even in the Star Wars Universe, 'Good' and 'Evil' is a point of view as said by Palpatine in the Opera house.

Anakins view was that the Jedi were Evil, and what he was doing was Good in order to protect the ones he loved.

Lucas has been known to draw his ideas from myth and legend, but also from today's society. His not brilliant at it, compared to perhaps the Wachowski Brothers (dudes behind The Matrix), but he knows how to get an idea across.

What's your point of view? You have to ask yourself what would you do to hold on to that connection? knowing that possibly you could never find it again.

i think it was not just the fact that he was in love with Padme, but also the fact that it was a forbidden love. this made him somewhat possesive of her, therefore breaking another part of the jedi code, and this created guilt. it also made him jealous of padme and bitter toward the jedi for denying her from him. add to all this the dream of her dying, and he became even more obsessed with her. when palpatine approached him, offered him a solution, and encouraged his doubts about the the jedi council's compentence, and he is easily swayed to the dark side. it did not help much that Anakin was not found as an infant, and he did not receive all of the proper training most other jedi do. palpatine befriended him at an early age; he may have been closer to Anakin than Obi-wan was. and in ROTS, the jedi played right into Palpatine's plans by putting him on the council but not making him a master, sending Obi-wan to catch General Grevious instead of him, unofficially asking anakin to spy on his best friend, and later attempting to arrest the chancellor, leading to the dual. this only served to destroy any remaining trust Anakin had in the jedi. from there, the rest of the pieces fall into place.

kotorsign.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

I voted for A New Hope.

I can't believe so many people think ROTS is better than any of the original thre movies.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I voted for A New Hope.

I can't believe so many people think ROTS is better than any of the original thre movies.

Agreed for ANH and ESB, but not RotJ, which was a fairly weak and repetitive plot. Sure, it has nice space battles and manages to deliver an enticing and spectacular finale, but pretty much everything in the plot, we'd already seen in the previous two movies.

Agreed for ANH and ESB, but not RotJ, which was a fairly weak and repetitive plot. Sure, it has nice space battles and manages to deliver an enticing and spectacular finale, but pretty much everything in the plot, we'd already seen in the previous two movies.

I'm not saying that RotJ was a great movie, I'm just saying that it was better than RotS. The writing in RotS was as bad as in AotC and TPM. I think the movie only got better when everyone just stopped talking and the Jedi massacre began. Bottom line, I don't see how a movie that suffers from the same fundamental faults as AotC and TPM can be considered good by Star Wars fans.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I voted for A New Hope.

Umm...so? :luck: It doesn't make it weak. And last half hour (or something like that) rules even with ewoks.

edit: ROTS is overrated though. And Aotc is badly cut film. TPM just sucks.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

None of the new movies have any heart. Even though the sabre battles in the OT were stilted and slow by the NT standards they had a point and the fights told a story. The NT fights while more dynamic and technologically superior felt too clinical and over choreographed. IMO one can extend the flaws of the fights to any aspect of the NT.

None of the new movies have any heart. Even though the sabre battles in the OT were stilted and slow by the NT standards they had a point and the fights told a story. The NT fights while more dynamic and technologically superior felt too clinical and over choreographed. IMO one can extend the flaws of the fights to any aspect of the NT.

What do mean the fights had no point to them?????

Okay, AotC was a load of crap I admit that.

But the whole point of the fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul was that this fight sealed the Fate of Qui-Gon and possibly Anakin. If Qui-Gon were still alive Obi-Wan would never teach Anakin and this whole bloody story would neva of happened. Qui-Gon would of understood Anakin, hell even Qui-Gon believed there were flaws in the Jedi Code.

The fight between Anakin and Obi-wan was never over choreographed and I thought it perfectly emulated the feeling of the movie at the moment, that both Anakin and Obi-Wan were fighting to protect what they thought was the right cause. Pointless? No as I've already pointed out. You could see that they choreographed it so Anakin and Obi-wan were a perfect match for each other, and just goes to show that power isn't everything without some skill.

What do mean the fights had no point to them?????

Lots of "old-timers" seem to really hate the prequels. Not sure why. And I'm an old-timer myself.

Okay, AotC was a load of crap I admit that.

Actually, I rather liked that. It was certainly better than TPM (well, maybe not the lightsaber duel...)

But the whole point of the fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul was that this fight sealed the Fate of Qui-Gon and possibly Anakin. If Qui-Gon were still alive Obi-Wan would never teach Anakin and this whole bloody story would neva of happened. Qui-Gon would of understood Anakin, hell even Qui-Gon believed there were flaws in the Jedi Code.

That's what Obi-Wan says himself, but I'm not so sure that's true. I think Obi-Wan just blames himself, because it gives him some form of control over the situation.

Anyway, I don't agree with him. It was Anakin's choice, and that is not Obi-Wan's responsibility.

The fight between Anakin and Obi-wan was never over choreographed and I thought it perfectly emulated the feeling of the movie at the moment, that both Anakin and Obi-Wan were fighting to protect what they thought was the right cause. Pointless? No as I've already pointed out. You could see that they choreographed it so Anakin and Obi-wan were a perfect match for each other, and just goes to show that power isn't everything without some skill.

Yes, I loved that battle too. I always though that the Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul fight was the wildest thing I ever saw and that they would never top that. But when I saw Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, I thought, "holy smokes!!" :cool:

Edited by Jediphile

Wait wait...Space battles from OT were BAD? :- BAD? :blink:

I mean, PT :s space battles aren're really space battles. TPM. Ugh, Lil' Ani and sucking droid fighters. Ooo...cool. Aotc: WHAT space battles? ROTS: Meh, It was nothing but mess. Nothing cool in there. Stupid buzz droids and annoying R2D2.

If you compare them to Rotj:s ending or ANH, they lose the game 10-0. ESB:s Hoth isn't really space battle, but it has that magical feeling too.

Rotj:s final is just great. Swordfight is skillful enough, and there isn's stupid bouncing etc.

And that Kreia thing is bullsh*t. Lightsaber's were quite new during Hyperscape war, and Tulak Horn (or who was that sith lord) never even wielded lightsaber.

Luke, Kyp dyrron & co are quite fricking powerful and skillful.

Fights in PT are way more spectacular because GL wanted to make them so. Meh.

And new films really lacks FEELING. Only Rots managed to create some emotions. (like sadness during Order 66 when it comes to me. And frustation with lame beginning)

Biggest problem in PT is that they could've been so much better

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Wait wait...Space battles from OT were BAD?  :blink: BAD? :blink:

I mean, PT :s space battles aren're really space battles. TPM. Ugh, Lil' Ani and sucking droid fighters. Ooo...cool. Aotc: WHAT space battles? ROTS: Meh, It was nothing but mess. Nothing cool in there. Stupid buzz droids and annoying R2D2.

If you compare them to Rotj:s ending or ANH, they lose the game 10-0. ESB:s Hoth isn't really space battle, but  it has that magical feeling too.

Rotj:s final is just great. Swordfight is skillful enough, and there isn's stupid bouncing etc.

Agreed. Actually I think Lucas did it this way intentionally. It would seem very odd, if the space battles of the prequels featured more advanced starfighter battles than in the original trilogy, which takes place later chronologically. That said, the space battles in the Clone Wars cartoons are pretty awesome.

And that Kreia thing is bullsh*t. Lightsaber's were quite new during Hyperscape war, and Tulak Horn (or who was that sith lord) never even wielded lightsaber.

Erm... Not sure how to break it to you, but the KotOR games take place more than 1000 years after the Hyperspace War... :ermm:

So this really isn't a problem.

Luke, Kyp dyrron & co are quite fricking powerful and skillful.

Yup.

Fights in PT are way more spectacular because GL wanted to make them so. Meh.

Yes, but for good reasons. The prequels have the jedi in their prime, so naturally they're going to be more potent in lightsaber duels that an old, aging man, a human/machine cyborg cross, and a young pup of a man, who hasn't learned the skills right yet.

And new films really lacks FEELING. Only Rots managed to create some emotions. (like sadness during Order 66 when it comes to me. And frustation with lame beginning)

Biggest problem in PT is that they could've been so much better

Tsk... Don't know why people always say so. Ep. I was not so hot, no, but I liked Ep. II and III. Their biggest problem was that you knew in advance what conclusion they would have to build to, but that is not a fair point of criticsim to make to PREQUEL.

Tulak Hord (or was it Horn) is from time Great hyperspace war :blink: Or was it even before...

edit: ROTS is good movie, but with little thinking I find many things that could've been done better. (Like Rotj too. I explain when I have time ^_^ Unless you know thing I'm talkinhg about already)

Edited by Xard

RotJ would have been so much better if there were no Ewoks. The Ewoks ruined it from being my favorite SW movie.

True. It does rather kill the mood when all the heroes are captured by a bunch of teddy bears who then worship C-3PO as a god and want to eat Han as a celebration of their new god... :)

They should have let it all take place on Kashyyyk among the wookiees, as I gather it was originally planned. That would have been awesome.

Tulak Hord (or was it Horn) is from time Great hyperspace war ;) Or was it even before...

edit: ROTS is good movie, but with little thinking I find many things that could've been done better. (Like Rotj too.  I explain when I have time ^_^ Unless you know thing I'm talkinhg about already)

it was Tulak Hord, and he was probabally one of the best saber duelists, and according to you, if he was during the GHW (which he was) and lightsabers where a knew thing (which they where) he gained his skill from an unknown source, and it was passed on through a holocron which wasnt preserved, due to the crappy dodgy new sith empire (those frauds <_<) for all we know, he could have gotten his lightsaber skills from a similar way that kyle katarn got back his force powers

RotJ would have been so much better if there were no Ewoks. The Ewoks ruined it from being my favorite SW movie.

True. It does rather kill the mood when all the heroes are captured by a bunch of teddy bears who then worship C-3PO as a god and want to eat Han as a celebration of their new god... :lol:

They should have let it all take place on Kashyyyk among the wookiees, as I gather it was originally planned. That would have been awesome.

possibly, but then there already was a major battle on kashyyyk, (ep3) and it was good that there was a change, perhaps if they had better inhabitants, that would have made it better.

But sith didn't have lightsabers until they copied them from jedis...

Edited by Xard

Since GHW

That was the time when Sith Empire and Republic fought first times. (during Great Schism and banning of Dark jedi spammers from Great Galaxy forum, there wasn't lightsabers yet

Edited by Xard

Since GHW

That was the time when Sith Empire and Republic fought first times. (during Great Schism and banning of Dark jedi spammers from Great Galaxy forum, there wasn't lightsabers yet

oks just a question didnt mean to sound rude if i did

No need to be sorry. :-

Edited by Xard