Praise of enhanced films!

The jabba thing was just a new cgi model that looked less... crap.

EDIT:As for the NT it seems Lucas is already messing around with TPM at least. Puppet yoda was tranposed with cgi yoda in the "fear leads to anger" scene which was part of some montage on the ROTS extras DVD.

Has anyone seen The Phatom Edit? Its TPM but with all the "bad" stuff taken out.

Edited by Surreptishus

Jabba was in those VCR too.

Wait...did I understand this right. That Greedo thing is in there purposely, not because of mistake? :o That's terrible!

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Wait...did I understand this right. That Greedo thing is in there purposely, not because of mistake? >_< That's terrible!

My point exactly. And yes, it's changed on purpose, because Lucas felt that Han firing first made Han too callous a character. He basically murders Greedo after all, even if there are extenuating circstances (seeing as how Greedo would otherwise have killed Han). But Lucas apparently felt that Han killing Greedo in cold blood to save his own skin (see the "Behind the Scenes bit here) made Han too much of a villain, and so he had it changed :angry:

And yes, it is terrible :'(

I agree with the previous rant re: Greedo firing first ... I always liked that Han Solo would shoot first if he knew he was going to be shot at ... it's not cold-blooded, it's self-preservation.

A few other scenes that were "over-enhanced" in the DVD edition:

- ANH - the stormtrooper checkpoint in Mos Eisley, where we see the "Jedi Mind Trick" for the first time ... too much crap going on in the foreground. The lead up scenes are cute, but unnecessary.

- ANH - the Jabba scene in docking bay 94 ... adding Boba Fett to that scene was completely uncalled for ... the idea that he's just part of Jabba's "posse" turns my stomach

- ANH - in the Death Star, Han and Chewie are chasing a half dozen or so stormtroopers, they turn a corner, and before, there were around a dozen ... now, they turn a corner into what looks like a battalion-szied formation ... the scene looks out of place

- ESB - while the new communication with the emperor (now Ian McD ... good call) does help explain why Vader (the second-baddest mofo in the galaxy) is so obsessed with tracking down Luke, it takes too long to get to the point ... then again, Lucas' dialog always seems a bit too wordy to me

- ROTJ - the lightsaber duel was retouched - why this one, and not the rest throughout the movies? Luke's saber in ANH is extremely inconsistent in color (maybe just from years of sitting in Obi-Wan's storage). They did FINALLY catch Vader's uncolored lightsaber in ANH ... after he kills Obi-Wan, before Luke shoots the door closed.

Things that were definitely done right ...

- ANH - the Millenium Falcon "blasting it's way out of Mos Eisley" looked much better

- ANH - the Death Star battle

- ESB - Could City - everything was very tastefully done, and makes it look like a busy place

- ROTJ - the final celebration - the scenes around the galaxy showing the celebration - while I have always found it hard to believe that the Empire would collapse instantly upon the death of the Emperor, it does tie things together.

And, in closing - I interpret the appearance of young Anakin Skywalker as a force ghost as follows - the "lumious being" can project whatever image he wants - and Anakin wants to remember himself as he was before being seduced by the dark side ... Yoda and Obi-Wan, generally content with how they lived their lives, don't have the same issues.

- ANH - in the Death Star, Han and Chewie are chasing a half dozen or so stormtroopers, they turn a corner, and before, there were around a dozen ... now, they turn a corner into what looks like a battalion-szied formation ... the scene looks out of place

I loved that one! It is better with whole batallion IMO! :D

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I agree with the previous rant re: Greedo firing first ... I always liked that Han Solo would shoot first if he knew he was going to be shot at ... it's not cold-blooded, it's self-preservation.

A few other scenes that were "over-enhanced" in the DVD edition:

- ANH - the stormtrooper checkpoint in Mos Eisley, where we see the "Jedi Mind Trick" for the first time ... too much crap going on in the foreground.  The lead up scenes are cute, but unnecessary.

Actually, this (and several other scenes you mention) were already in the special editions Lucas did 1996 for the original movie's 20th anniversary. Those even made it to the cinema - I saw them all there, before I later bought the tapes with them.

- ANH - the Jabba scene in docking bay 94 ... adding Boba Fett to that scene was completely uncalled for ... the idea that he's just part of Jabba's "posse" turns my stomach

Agreed. I wanted that scene back in there, but there is no reason for Boba to be there, since he's a hard bounty hunter who isn't sent hunt Han down until later. Boba's association with Jabba doesn't come about until after Han has "failed" to repay Jabba.

Things that were definitely done right ...

- ANH - the Millenium Falcon "blasting it's way out of Mos Eisley" looked much better

- ANH - the Death Star battle

- ESB - Could City - everything was very tastefully done, and makes it look like a busy place

- ROTJ - the final celebration - the scenes around the galaxy showing the celebration - while I have always found it hard to believe that the Empire would collapse instantly upon the death of the Emperor, it does tie things together.

Yes. These are all (except Naboo in the celebration of RotJ) from the special editions, but I agree that these scenes were all good.

star wars has been released to video/dvd four times.

1)when it first came out

2)'96ish

3)'97ish (this was when they went back and inserted most of the stuff)

4) 2004/05 (...)

the ian mcdimond thing i can understand but some of the other stuff just doesn't make sense to me. admittedly I haven't seen the most recent dvd release but I have seen the "special Edition" and I HATED the song.

Also want to point out that they added a scene with the wampa in the special editions.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Am curious about why Boba Fett can't be in league with Jabba the Hutt prior to Han skipping town? What is known about Boba between the time he watched his father killed by Obi-Wan to the time he grew up? Maybe he was on Tatooine trying to track Obi-Wan down, and working for Jabba was good cover.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

the ian mcdimond thing i can understand but some of the other stuff just doesn't make sense to me. admittedly I haven't seen the most recent dvd release but I have seen the "special Edition" and I HATED the song.

I actually found the original song to be even worse, so I favor the lesser of two evils...

Also want to point out that they added a scene with the wampa in the special editions.

No, that was already in the special edition from 1996

Am curious about why Boba Fett can't be in league with Jabba the Hutt prior to Han skipping town? What is known about Boba between the time he watched his father killed by Obi-Wan to the time he grew up? Maybe he was on Tatooine trying to track Obi-Wan down, and working for Jabba was good cover.

It's not that he can't be in league with Jabba, but I think Boba is so tough a bounty hunter than he has better things to do just hang around with Jabba's posse just waiting for a job - he should be out there wiping the floor with other bounties instead.

I mean, Fett is the hardest, toughest, and meanest bounty hunter around (or should be), so his services should be in high demand. He has much better things to do than hanging around Jabba's posse or hunting for a jedi who has been lost for two decades and is presumed dead. There are plenty of deadbeats he should be chasing down instead.

I don't think Boba's presence in the scene is a major problem, but it doesn't exactly make much sense either... :)

Hmmm, but it was Obi-Wan who killed Jango. Boba, being the badass bounty hunter he is, may have kept tabs on Obi-Wan

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

I actually found the original song to be even worse, so I favor the lesser of two evils...

No, that was already in the special edition from 1996

that's what I meant... sorry.

Mace Windu killed Jango.

ZING!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Mace Windu killed Jango.

Oops. I'll just shut up now. :">

I have no excuses :-