"Witcher" interview, via 'Codex

kumquatq3

Nice presentation, if you ignore the terrible accent of the announcer :blink:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I liked the voice. Kinda cold, which fit the video.

Overall, the video reminded me of the IWD 2 intro and the Thief mission briefings, thanks to stop motion style.

Nice, very nice.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

But more on-topic, the idea of "departure from the numbers" disturbs me somewhat.

Recently, in making a character for Eldar's campaign, manipulating the numbers, which are important to represent skills and many other things, was really enjoyable. I think taking out that process, of customizing skills to a minute level, is detrimental to the realism and fun aspects.

Of course, sitting around thinking about numbers isn't good for realism, but if the numbers continue in the backround, as most rpgs do these days, that is fine with me.

Also, I tend to be a traditionalist when it is still practical. This is no exception.

Edit: Heck, in real life you can convert anything into numbers. Like, if one of you dressed up as an orc, and i took a steel mallet and smacked you in the chest while you were wearing plastic chainmail, there are a certain number of newtons being converted, measurable. There would be a certain amount of tear on the plastic, measurable.

Mostly, I want to keep the numbers in for customization and statistical purposes (when it comes to creating characters, buying weapons, and/or whatever), but the rolls in-game can leave, since they can go in the backround. Yet, it'd still be great to see the numbers in action on a separate menu screen, like in K2. :thumbsup:

Edited by Blank

So, you want numbers for traditions' and their own sake?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hmm, no. I guess I can summarize it for you (I probably wouldn't want to read all that junk either), though, I suspect you are simply being facetious. However, I needed a good summary.

Numbers should stay because:

1. numbers are realistic, in that, virtually everything in real-life can be measured.

2. They give more control over character creation and weapon/armour statistics.

3. That control helps develop the character's personality in a way, since there is oftentimes a story behind which skills were refined more or less and why.

4. Yes, I am a traditionalist.

5. They can leave sight during the game when rolling for hits and stuff, but it would be nice, for reference and incredulity's sakes, to have an extra menu to transcript those things after they happen.

Edited by Blank

Numbers should stay because:

1. numbers are realistic in that virtually everything in real-life can be measured.

Waht?

[edit] Anyway, that video for the Witcher was cool. [/edit]

Edited by N'Al