An unliving entity would be fine too

Atreides

Would you be perfectly happy with an artificial lover?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be perfectly happy with an artificial lover?

• Yes romantically, yes sexually
    • Yes romantically, not sexually
    • Not romantically, yes sexually
    • Not romantically, not sexually

The question is "what do we want them to do?" .. and to what degree??

I still think that they could serve as supplement to alleviate many problems! and not counting organized crime they could provide a good service doing so .. not a replacement, just a supplement! sex for those who can't get it anywhere else, but not to replace social interaction ..

But if they are able to program them perfectly they could take over much of the social sector .. doctors, nurses etc .. especially when dealing with dangerous individuals, where innocent humans could get hurt.. say extreme mental hospitals!

Like the internet you mean :ermm:

Thing is if they are that smart they are not going to take kindly to being slave labour. Unless you program them with some sort of "service" protocol. But that can be dangerous too.

Since I dont particularly buy into the humans are special idea. Anything that could have that level of sentience would have the same rights as "squishies"(thats us btw).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I was serious about my question.  :ermm:

Would something we create, that gained it's own consciousness, able to act independently like a normal living breathing human, have a soul? Could it feel?

Dont see why not. Humans are only organic machines. The question is would the creators allow them that freedom.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Robot harem? Shut up jerk, we both know you are too lazy to follow through with that plan, just like everything else.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I was serious about my question.  :p

Would something we create, that gained it's own consciousness, able to act independently like a normal living breathing human, have a soul? Could it feel?

Do humans have souls? Well you, certainly, think that you are possessing of consciousness. But bracket that for a moment and think about everybody else: would it be that much of a stretch to believe that they were all intelligent (or not so intelligent) machines?

Ever heard about Searle's Chinese Room problem? http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDi...hineseroom.html

The ontological questions aside, whether we can exploit robots depends on the cost factor. As someone else already said: humans are cheap. Genetically engineered "humans" are even cheaper. Do you consider a genetically programmed organism that happens to look like a human a robot? What line do you draw, given that they might very well be the equivalent of mentally disabled people?

There are doors

Animals have souls, humans have them, well most humans at least. Machines do not nor would they ever.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I was serious about my question.  :rolleyes:

Do humans have souls? Well you, certainly, think that you are possessing of consciousness. But bracket that for a moment and think about everybody else: would it be that much of a stretch to believe that they were all intelligent (or not so intelligent) machines?

Ever heard about Searle's Chinese Room problem? http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDi...hineseroom.html

The ontological questions aside, whether we can exploit robots depends on the cost factor. As someone else already said: humans are cheap. Genetically engineered "humans" are even cheaper. Do you consider a genetically programmed organism that happens to look like a human a robot? What line do you draw, given that they might very well be the equivalent of mentally disabled people?

Huxley's Brave New World, even though it is approaching its centenary, describes the easiest fascist state to make, using a hive/colony analogy to create the necessary "Fordistic" (assembly line) of societal members to create an optimal society.

Brain-damaged / genetically enhanced humans are a cheaper alternative to million (billion?) dollar robots, at least until production reaches some sort nirvana that isn't even conceivable at the moment.

This would be (and is) ofset by the

individual > society

mantra that libertarians have been decrying for centuries, however.

PS Searle's thought experiment suffers from the reductio ad absurdum: specifically a computer is just "a CPU and a look-up table": this is only true of computers and not the later neural networks, which are more closely aligned with the parallel processing model of the human mind. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

physically, yes

obviously living things tend to be more than the sum of their parts

So why would a machine that was just constructed of a different material not have the same ghestalt ?

I don't think me or Darque addressed that, we objected to "organic machines"

That is wrong is some basic ways and I'm not talking about souls or other such stuff.

How can some humans have souls and others not ?

Good point. I'd just raise this point - just because a block of wood and a lump of metal can fill the same amount space only one can conduct electricity. Thing is way we're comparing it is somewhat arbitrary but it can be different in the key part that matters (electricity conductivity or having a soul).

Spreading beauty with my katana.

How can some humans have souls and others not ?

Good point. I'd just raise this point - just because a block of wood and a lump of metal can fill the same amount space only one can conduct electricity. Thing is way we're comparing it is somewhat arbitrary but it can be different in the key part that matters (electricity conductivity or having a soul).

Or maybe those that don't have one sold it to Satan?