Obsidian doing PC/X360/PS3 RPG with Sega

funcroc

Someone needs to cast "Summon Feargus"

Good luck with that. Urquhart hasn't logged in for about nine months.

Feargus "Potent CEO" has been in ongoing battle with PotentPaladin V1.0 to find out which one is more potent. I expect little Urquharts and Paladins to emerge soon.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Sega?!?!?!

SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But... but...  didn't they die...  with the Dreamcast?!?!?!

Sega?!?!?!

:lol:

SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

:blink:

No they just switched to being a publisher. They are pretty good at it too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I know there was talk about them signing with a publisher soon for a game, but I can't remember if that was PNJ or not

Yeah, as I recall we got no sure info in one way or another. It would be strange for them to announce their next project before PNJ, but PNJ was supposed to be console exlusive.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Feb 1st:

Now Obsidian is able to focus on developing solid single-player RPGs. With more and more developers turning towards massively multiplayer RPGs, it seems refreshing that Obsidian is so strongly committed to the single-player experience. According to Feargus, designers of MMOs have to be more anti-player than developers of single player games. Content in MMOs has to be balanced in a very general way. The player community in an online game will exploit any content that's too easy or too fast paced. In a single player game, that doesn't matter as much. In fact, the designers at Obsidian have occasionally unbalanced their systems on purpose simply to make the game more fun.

The real threat of MMOs, according to Feargus, is that they can completely take over a company. "You make one and then it becomes your life," he says. The technology, content and service personnel required to maintain a massively multiplayer game almost constitute an entirely separate company by themselves. Since most publishers aren't equipped to handle the load, it all falls on the shoulders of the developers and the weight of that responsibility can keep a company from developing other games. "Is Blizzard Blizzard anymore or are they just the company that supports World of Warcraft?" Feargus asks. "There's less of a focus on doing new stuff there because of the WoW juggernaut. That's what scares me."

While he admits to being attracted to the scale of these online worlds, Feargus would rather focus on exploring and enhancing the things that single player RPGs can do that just aren't possible in an online format. "You can't blow up a city in a MMO; in a single player game, you can. You can't have storylines that continue for more than 30 minutes in an MMO. I guess you could consider a five-hour instance as having a storyline but it still feels separate from the world."

This is pretty cool. Back when Black Isle was still around I posted that my dream game would be a RPG co-developped by Black Isle and Smilebit. This is the closest it can possibly get to that dream. :D

But is Sega just a publisher, or is OE really teaming up with Sega to create this game? If it's the latter, which one of Sega's teams is OE going to associate with?

Edited by Rary the Traitor

I know there was talk about them signing with a publisher soon for a game, but I can't remember if that was PNJ or not

Yeah, as I recall we got no sure info in one way or another. It would be strange for them to announce their next project before PNJ, but PNJ was supposed to be console exlusive.

hmmmm.....ok...

IGN lists PNJ and a Untitled Game from Obsidian

and the article only says:

Though the studio has so far only worked on sequels, they'll be signing a new project for an entirely original property in just a few weeks

If Obsidian has three games in production, Feargus predicts that two of them will be primarily console oriented with a third focused more on the PC market. Naturally, Obsidian will release the same title on multiple platforms so gamers who only own a PC or a Xbox 360 or PS3 won't be totally left out of the action.

Feargus hopes to have over 100 people by the end of the year with an eventual goal of having around 120 to 140 people. That will allow them to have teams working on three different games. Ideally, one team will be working on the core concepts of a game while the other two will be in full production mode.

I don't think this is PNJ

IGN lists PNJ and a Untitled Game from Obsidian

and the article only says:

Though the studio has so far only worked on sequels, they'll be signing a new project for an entirely original property in just a few weeks

PNJ is supposed to be original.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Found this on Sega's news page.

SEGA Partners With Obsidian For Next-Gen RPG

The acclaimed developer will work with SEGA on a brand new RPG for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

the rest is the same as the page one release.

No mention of MMPORG in the headline.

478327[/snapback]

Oh, I will buy it that is not what I am going on about.  I just thought Sega was dead and BOOM this shows up.

Rumours of death greatly exagerated.

http://www.sega-europe.com/en/GamesIndex.htm

They have aquired some top notch assets too.

478327[/snapback]

http://games.ign.com/objects/608/608568.html

IGN thinks Obsidian has 4 projects now.

Neverwinter Nights 2

Obsidian Project #1 [untitled] with SEGA

Project New Jersey [working title]

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic III [rumored]

Impressive.

478327[/snapback]

"Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic III [rumored]

Also known as: Star Wars KOTOR 3, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3, Obsidian Project #3 [untitled]

The third chapter in LucasArts' RPG exploration of the Star Wars legacy.

NOTE: This game has not yet been announced or officially confirmed by the publisher. Exact plans for which platforms this title might release on are also unconfimed at this time. Unofficially, the game is expected to be one of three next-gen projects in the works at developer Obsidian Entertainment."

:rolleyes:

So essentially... they know bugger all.