I hate the fantasy genre

Put a stop to fantasy?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Put a stop to fantasy?

• Yes, we've had enough, put a stop to it now.
    • No! I love fantasy and you're evil and mean.

To me, fantasy does not have aliens, star ships or modern type technology.

That's a personal problem.

Oh? Not that I am aware of.

Nartwak means that, just because you think the definition of fantasy doesn't include aliens and space ships, doesn't mean your opinion that

aliens and space ships ∉ fantasy

is reality.

There is precious little science in Star Wars. Take a look at some of the nerds trying to rationalize the unrationalizable, viz. an arts grad (GL) trying to create technology more advanced than what we have currently.

All comparisons are odious. The delineation between SF and Fantasy is meaningless and entirely personal. I use a spectrum, with "hardcore" Science at one end, and fantasy at the other. That way I can easily plot all types of fiction onto the axis.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But, why isnt Star Trek fantasy then? Or is it? 8)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But, why isn't Star Trek fantasy then? Or is it?  :huh:

There ain't much science in Star Trek, either ... a lot more than Star Wars, but still not much.

If one has some writing nous, it is quite easy to see the "seams" in the plot, where the writers have gone to the trecknobabbelists and said "we need something to stop the group from communicating with the ship here" and "something happens and the ship is unable to follow them" etc.

The writers have become more skilled in the art of writing for Star Trek, though, as the series have matured over the decades: now they have special "experts" who give advice to the writers (or rather did) when required ... so that "Heisenberg compensators" are now part of the technical landscape in teleporters, and "inertial dampeners" go offline when the actors run sideways on the set pretending that the ship has just hit something, for example.

Space Opera is a good term.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But, but, but... what about Battlestar Galactica? :))

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Is Battlestar Galactica(the new series) Science-Fiction?

Haven't seen it.

What do you think?

*thinks*

Is has:

-Spaceships

-Robots

So... its Sci-fi alright :lol:

Haven't seen it.

What do you think?

hmmm, that is a tough one. on the one hand, the fact that there are no aliens or empaths, etc would steer me to say no.

on the other hand, the Terminator-style SENTIENT ARTIFICIAL HUMANOID who has feelings is really well done and lends itself to the sci-fi label.

it's kind of like Firefly...not sure what to call it...I just know that it is good stuff.

An example of space setting not necessarily being sci fi:

There's Robert Louis Stephenson's story Treasure Island, which is about pirates and stuff. There is also Disney's Treasure Planet, which is the same story but set in space... it doesn't suddenly become sci-fi.

The term "space opera" was coined for this kind of instance... Its also what L. Ron Hubbard called his story about Xenu, thetans and things :lol:

Which is precisely why I don't use an either-or nomenclature for Fantasy and SF, but rather a spectrum. After all, as Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law states "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

:lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Is the primary themes of Battlestar Galactica integral to science fiction. If you remove the technology does the overall story line still work or not? In the case of BSG, if you remove the robots and space ships the story would break apart so yes it is Science Fiction because what the primary conflict of the story deals with.