What games do the developers play?

mkreku

Well, here we go again. And again I'm hoping to get a few responses from the developers. What kind of games do you play, what games do you like, which games give you inspiration for your projects?

It would be nice to know because it's sort of an indication if you're ever going to be interesting in making our (the fans) ideal game.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'll try to remember...this is an off the top of my head list of what I've played since DA2 went off to Sony and MS (back in early October). I've probably missed some stuff, but oh well.

PC:

Dungeon Siege: LoA

NWN: SoU and HotU

Battlefield 1942

UT2K4 Demo (generally only at work)

Diablo 2

Deus Ex 2

Divine Divinity (couldn't get into it)

XBox:

Rainbow 6

Freedom Fighters

DA2

LotR:RotK

Dynasty Warriors 4

Soulcalibre 2

Gladius (best game nobody played =()'

True Crime

GC:

FF:Crystal Chronicle

I played Gladius (assume you mean the Lucas Arts one and not the arcade one).

What did you think of the skill meter system they employed with the game ? I thought it made stats a bit pointless. After all if you can crit 100% of the time having a 5% hit chance on a heavy gladiator dosnt really make for much of a handicap.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I have a love/hate relationship with those sorts of timing meters. In Gladius they seemed to be just as important as actual strategy...and I think I spent too much time nailing perfect attacks. Critical hits lose their appeal (and from a balance sense, their power) when you can pull them off 95% of the time. I think having regular attacks and abilities trigger without a meter would have sped up the gameplay some...save the meter for attacks that use 3+ combo points and make it really hard to get those criticals. It'd set up more of a risk/reward choice for players to make.

I'd like to see a sequel to Gladius. Well, I'd like to see more tactical RPG's in general.

I started playing Planescape: Torment for the first time this Sunday. It's definitely my kind of game.

So my current games in progress are:

Medal of Honor: Breakthrough

NWN - Hordes expansion as a multiplayer game.

Planescape: Torment

Planetside

I typically keep a small list of games I play simultaneously, so I can switch depending on my mood. 1 FPS, 1 RPG, 1 MMO*, and 1 non-MMO multiplayer. Once I finish a game in any particular genre, I move to the next in the great Queue of Games that is my desk.

I'm kind of looking forward to giving Lineage 2 a shot when it comes out, in hopes that it will satisfy my PvP needs better than SW:Galaxies managed.

-Akari

To kill your post count?  :unsure:

Who cares about post count?

I was being nice in reply to your "conspiracy" post ;)

Obsidian shot kennedy!

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Ok, I definitely need to get a job like yours!

I'd probably get shot if I even as much as looked at the computers at work during working hours..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ok, I definitely need to get a job like yours!

I'd probably get shot if I even as much as looked at the computers at work during working hours..

The UT'ing goes on after work. The programming team really has a thing about shooting each other with explosive weapons. Prior to UT2k4 it was Halo many nights.

-Akari

Egad, my post got lost. Aaah! I'm not going to post the games I was playing recently because it's just too long. The game I plan on playing more tonight is Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX. I've been playing that series since the 80s, and I still enjoy the new iterations.

I'm thinking of playing Lionheart again if I don't get into the City of Heroes beta soonish. But there are several other contenders on my bookshelf, too. There really are just too many games and not enough time. :)

-Ferret

Here are some of my favorite games that I would play anyone at the drop of a hat, in no particular order:

- Soul Calibur

- Tekken (though T4 wasn't so good)

- Warcraft

- Starcraft

... and here are some that I've played recently and enjoyed:

- UT4 (nothing beats sending a rocket to a colleague - after work of course)

- Need for Speed: Underground

- LotR - TTT & RotK

- Zone of Enders 1 & 2

- Xenosaga

- FFX

McBaine

The game I plan on playing more tonight is Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX. I've been playing that series since the 80s, and I still enjoy the new iterations.

Rot3K 9 hurt my feelins'. I *really* liked the ability to just play as an officer, warlord or prefect in seven and eight - I usually don't have the time or interest to micromanage cities as much as Rot3K demands. The difficulty seems far harder as well - I've loaded strong nations with lots of cheap perfect officers and still can't fight off the hundred thousand troops other nations (eg. Cao Cao) throw at you after about an hour of gameplay. The district system doesn't seem to work all that well either..I've had subordinates completely ignore the fact that my main city is under siege.

The IF and challenge scenarios are great ideas, and I like the secret character rewards for being a Koei fanboy who has save files from every Dynasty _____ game they've published on the PS2. Some of the hidden officers are little more than time bombs...you let Genghis Khan out of your sight for a second and he'll declare himself ruler and start pillaging. Which makes sense, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...