Sci-Fi Shows

Plano Skywalker

I know there was a recent thread about sci-fi books, movies and tv.

For the purposes of this thread, I want to focus solely on tv.

Actually, I recently picked up some DVD collections (namely BG and Firefly) and I was looking to broaden the DVD collection somewhat.

In the other thread, I was a little surprised that Babylon 5 was not mentioned (or at least not much). I understand that this was based on the work of one of the Golden Age writers. I have never really watched that show, though.

I have watched a lot of ST: The Next Generation and Classic ST and liked both of those a lot. Never really got into Voyager, DSN, or Enterprise. Voyager has a wackey premise and DSN has a somewhat soap-operish feel. Enterprise...don't really know, haven't watched enough to make a decision.

What about SG1? Atlantis? Andromeda? others?

I really haven't watched much other than the STar Treks, Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly. What little I saw of Babylon 5 was pretty good t hough.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw only a bit of Babylon 5 too, but I thought it was fine for a scifi show.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I haven't liked any of the Sci-Fi TV series. Their Dune mini-series (Dune and Children of Dune) were surprisingly good, however. They each had moments of cheesieness, but overall were better than the David Lynch movie.

Babylon 5 is one of the best Sci Fi shows ever to air. If for no other reason that it did what no other show had done before. It had a 5 season story arc all plotted out from the beginning. The story of the show would run through 5 seasons, no more, no less. So if you want a strong story, B5 is fantastic. The special effects and make up can be a bit off-putting at times, if you care about those things, but it's worth overlooking.

Stargate SG1 is a very good show. There is a reason it's lasted as long as it has. Most of the episodes are one-offs, especially in the early seasons. The later ones (5 and onwards iirc) the overall story has become more and more important. The actors are good, the writing is ok (sometimes pretty bad, sometimes very good, but mostly ok). The first seasons, the sci fi elements are fairly scarce, but has also become more prominent as they've discovered more about the universe (nowadays, Earth has Spaceships of it's own).

Stargate Atlantis is more of the same, although a bit more hardcore Sci Fi, they live in an alien city as opposed to a military bunker and have access to more advanced tech. The characters are a bit uneven, but overall it's still an ok show.

Andromeda (now cancelled) was really good during the first two seasons, would probably appeal to a fan of TNG, although I'm not sure since I never was. After that, there was a steady decline in quality and the story-lines become confusing and hard to grasp. The fifth season was really crappy for the first half, but the second half was much improved.

Farscape is many's favorite and while it's not mine, it's ok. I hated how they used muppet-like dolls for some aliensabd felt the make up on others was very plastic and unrealistic. The first seasons pretended to have an overarching plot, but it might as well not have since nothing happened with it. It had a problem (for me) with pacing overall in the first two seasons and could at times be a tad dull. It picked up in the third and fourth season when the central plot started to take of for real (actually that started to happen in the second half of season 2 iirc). At the end of it, I finally started to see why people liked it so much. The characters in the show are very well written and have a certain depth to them. And the actors are all very good.

I assume BG means Battlestar Galactica (it's more commonly refered to as BSG) so I'll leave that and Firefly out for now.

Babylon 5 is one of the best Sci Fi shows ever to air. If for no other reason that it did what no other show had done before. It had a 5 season story arc all plotted out from the beginning. The story of the show would run through 5 seasons, no more, no less. So if you want a strong story, B5 is fantastic. The special effects and make up can be a bit off-putting at times, if you care about those things, but it's worth overlooking.

I would add that it shares the same characteristics as a long-running soap opera: the main plot proceeds through tiny fits and starts, via the large perturbations of many smaller characters. So if you miss an episode, you won't feel like the main story has left you behind, but you will have missed a major turning point in at least one character's story. It also may mean that the main plot resolves itself not as quickly as you might want.

Don't forget Doctor Who!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I would add that it shares the same characteristics as a long-running soap opera: the main plot proceeds through tiny fits and starts, via the large perturbations of many smaller characters. So if you miss an episode, you won't feel like the main story has left you behind, but you will have missed a major turning point in at least one character's story. It also may mean that the main plot resolves itself not as quickly as you might want.

that is one thing that scares me a bit about the new BSG. Since it is so character-based, it could easily slip into Battlestar 90210. The writers have indicated that they are aware of this and are trying to avoid it. Hopefully, if they have not already, they will come out with a definite conclusion point and go to the producers and say "look, this is a wagon train and it ends like this....3 more seasons and that's it in this story arch" or something to that effect.

further complicating matters is the fact that Olmos has reportedly said he will leave if they bring in "little green men". so all content has to come from Cylons and internal push/pull politics. Moore has said that they are not going to do "alien of the week"....alien contact (if it does happen) will be a very big deal.

Don't forget Doctor Who!

I'm sure it had its uses in helping out the genre. The show itself, I was not particularly fond of.

I didn't see much of the new Doctor Who, I found out CBC was airing it like 2 episodes before the season finale so I didn't even bother. Was it any good? The only episode I saw had them back in time and this girl who the doctor brought with him encountered her dad and these lizard things trapped them in a church. I was a little confused.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I didn't see much of the new Doctor Who, I found out CBC was airing it like 2 episodes before the season finale so I didn't even bother. Was it any good? The only episode I saw had them back in time and this girl who the doctor brought with him encountered her dad and these lizard things trapped them in  a church. I was a little confused.

She saved her dad and that caused time to unravel.

Overall it wasnt bad. Although plastic people (EPI) was just horrible.

Theres yet another new Doctor now. Didnt think much of the first new special either.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

SG1 used to be great...it's now ok to mediocore, on average, but still worth watching. Any show on that long is bound to go up and down quite a bit. :thumbsup:

Atlantis...eh...it's ok. Babolyn5, I tried to watch and for me it's like Firefly, I found it either really dull or really annoying, or both, to watch.

I really haven't seen very many 'good' sci-fi series over the years...there just aren't that many made, compared to dramas or mystery or cop shows. Things like ST, SG1, and Galactica are rarities.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, Star Trek was originally a "Wagon Train to the Stars." haha

"True" sci-fi in entertainment is really rare. More often it's actually fantasy with spaceships.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've enjoyed Firefly but sci fi it is not.  It is Have Gun Will Travel or Alias Smith and Jones in space.  It is not even "space opera" a la Star Wars.  It is a western.

It's more realistic and true to scientific realities than just about any other show I can name.

SG1 used to be great...it's now ok to mediocore, on average, but still worth watching. Any show on that long is bound to go up and down quite a bit. :p

The religious commentary is second to none. Mainstream TV-wise, at least.

But that guy with the thing on his forehead just looks so ridiculous that I can't watch it.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, Star Trek was originally a "Wagon Train to the Stars." haha

"True" sci-fi in entertainment is really rare. More often it's actually fantasy with spaceships.

I think the original Twilight Zone played with "hard science fiction" to some extent but, indeed, it is rare on television. A little easier to find in the movies.

All the Star Trek series are good.
No. TOs is incredibly outdated. Only relal HC fans like it anymore, and believe me, you don't wanna be one of 'em. Also, Voyager is quite boring up until the fifth or sixth season. I'd say the best overall is DS9, whose last two seasons are just awesome.

It's more realistic and true to scientific realities than just about any other show I can name.
As much as I like the show, I must disagree. 1800's brothels waiting for a crew of heroes to kick the local crime boss' ass? Come on.

Still, and being a huge Star Trek fan, I think I'd rahter recommend Firefly than ST for newcomers to the genre. Firefly is simply more fun.

Edited for clarity :ermm:

Edited by metadigital

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Me.h

The Borg war with species 8472 could have been exploited much better. But instead, they chose to cheapen the borg down, introducing a completely unnecessary queen, which for some unexplained reason, was incredibly stupid, and also, had an almost `pathological hatrd of Voyager, not to mention an obsession with the irrelevant yet incredibly hot ex-drone, seven of nine.

I much rather liked the TNG invincible borg that were foiled (albeit not defeated) thanks to the combination of luck and personal sacrifice.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yopure right about that. I liked the idea of them being put on the show, breathe of life so to speak, but the Borg were dumbed down and not mighty like they were on ST TNG. Which was odd since they were all powerful and suddenly its like they had their intelligence removed from, like WTF??

The borg were never especially intelligent, imo. But they didn't need to be, either. They had an overwhelming technological and numerical advantage over the federation, not to mention their utter disregard for individual safety. They were the perfect formula for a sci-fi boogeyman.-

The borg premise for VOY was really cool, a race that even the borg couldn't defeat, a new dimension the mighty borg had tried to expand to, and whose invasion was now backfiring. An awesome background for the story of a federation starship trying to get back gome. But for some reason however, they dealt with this crisis in two episodes, and proceeded to shiftr focus to neelix's emo tendencies. That's right, Neelix. The most annoying fiction character in a space opera ever, barring Jar Jar binks.

Suckage is the wor.d

That's right, Neelix. The most annoying fiction character in a space opera ever, barring Jar Jar binks.

I don't know, Wesley Crusher was a character for whom I never had much of an affinitty. In fact, the character often ruined a good TNG plot line solely by being on screen - imo of course ;)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: