Slowly but surely...

The only really useful RAID is RAID level 5. This is what businesses use for data that must not be compromised: it allows for a drive in the array to be lost, swapped out with a new, unformatted one, and the array survive and rebuild across the span including the new disk. (This is called "hot-swapping" and keeps the data secure whilst the maintenance is performed; I have actually done this.) :)

Actually, RAID 5 is the only unusable one, the one businesses stay *away* from :)"

You get the worst of both worlds, crappiest performance and some loss of disk space (although the wasted space becomes less proportionally with more disks).

If you want redundancy, you use RAID 1, if you want speed you use RAID 0, if you want speed and redundancy you use RAID 1+0 (which is an awful lot of disks).

RAID 5 is the red headed step child which you can use for archive storage systems (where performance isn't critical), but thats about it.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

RAID 5 is actually popular in businesses. Many implement RAID 5+0 to negate the performance penalty.

Besides, RAID 4 would certainly be more "unusable" than RAID 5 (if you're talking about the only unusable one). It provides nothing that RAID 5 doesn't provide, but RAID 5 provides it faster.

RAID 5 is actually popular in businesses.  Many implement RAID 5+0 to negate the performance penalty.

>_

Please tell me you meant it as a joke :ph34r:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

$8.00 an hour? Is your cost of living in Iowa cheaper?

My guess is that he has no rent or car or food to pay for.

Which only makes him one lucky frak.  :D

I do have rent to pay, electricity, and phone. I also buy my own food. My share is $370 rent, $40 phone, and $25 on utilities. I don't own a car and don't really need one. Here in Ames I walk everywhere or take the bus.

Edited by Judge Hades

$8.00 an hour? Is your cost of living in Iowa cheaper?

My guess is that he has no rent or car or food to pay for.

Which only makes him one lucky frak.  :D

I do have rent to pay, electricity, and phone. I also buy my own food. My share is $370 rent, $40 phone, and $25 on utilities. I don't own a car and don't really need one. Here in Ames I walk everywhere or take the bus.

$370 for your share of the rent? How many people and what is the base rent at??

RAID 5 is actually popular in businesses.  Many implement RAID 5+0 to negate the performance penalty.

;)

Please tell me you meant it as a joke :ph34r:

Nope. It is popular.

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_05.html

You'll notice RAID 4 is the only one with no recommended implementations.

Edited by alanschu

The only really useful RAID is RAID level 5. This is what businesses use for data that must not be compromised: it allows for a drive in the array to be lost, swapped out with a new, unformatted one, and the array survive and rebuild across the span including the new disk. (This is called "hot-swapping" and keeps the data secure whilst the maintenance is performed; I have actually done this.) :)

Actually, RAID 5 is the only unusable one, the one businesses stay *away* from :p"

You get the worst of both worlds, crappiest performance and some loss of disk space (although the wasted space becomes less proportionally with more disks).

If you want redundancy, you use RAID 1, if you want speed you use RAID 0, if you want speed and redundancy you use RAID 1+0 (which is an awful lot of disks).

RAID 5 is the red headed step child which you can use for archive storage systems (where performance isn't critical), but thats about it.

Gee, all those Fortune 100 companies that I worked for must be very silly to use RAID 5, then. -_-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_05.html

You'll notice RAID 4 is the only one with no recommended implementations.

Actually, the 5+0 didn't either :(

Maybe a good solution for sites who would have otherwise gone with RAID 5 but need some additional performance boost

Not exactly a "recommended" implentation.

Anyway, for my purposes (SQL servers with a high number of write transactions) there is really no way around 0+1 :)

Different tasks require different RAID solutions. But remember, RAID 0 doesn't provide ANY redundancy, and in fact makesw the data more vulnerable. RAID 0+1 stripes and mirrors the data, but your are really trying to speed up the mirror rather than vice versa.

If you want the ability to recover from a disk crash, i.e. if the data is MISSION CRITICAL, then RAID 5 is really the only option. Comapq made their drives hot-swappable to meet the demand.

Responding to a large volume of write traffic is a different ball of wax, and needn't be handled with the hard-drive technology (batch writing from memory, Flash-RAM cache, etc).

The solutions I designed didn't need speed over data security; we weren't doing a bajillion credit card transaction a minute for Visa ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, the 5+0 didn't either  :huh:

Maybe a good solution for sites who would have otherwise gone with RAID 5 but need some additional performance boost

Not exactly a "recommended" implentation.

I never said that RAID 5+0 was a common solution either. I did mention that it was used to help improve transfer rates. My point stemmed from RAID 5 not being nearly as uncommon as you think it is. And certainly not as useless. Besides, if you actually read the article you linked to, it's not RAID 5+0, but more like RAID 03. It's not recommended because it's very expensive. RAID 4 isn't recommended because there are other formats (i.e. RAID 5) that are superior to it in every way.

Anyway, for my purposes (SQL servers with a high number of write transactions) there is really no way around 0+1  :huh:

Though we were never discussing what works for you, but the overall usefulness of the RAID 5 architecture. Though if you weren't doing a lot of write transactions, most people would actually recommend RAID 5.

Edited by alanschu

RAID 5 is actually popular in businesses.
I never said that RAID 5+0 was a common solution either.

Popular, yet not common. That's an odd combination.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Though we were never discussing what works for you, but the overall usefulness of the RAID 5 architecture.  Though if you weren't doing a lot of write transactions, most people would actually recommend RAID 5.

I think we were discussing Hades' hardware, not really RAID's at all. I just felt like changing the subject :D

I stand by that. RAID 5 is fine when performance isn't critical (implicit, data redundancy is, otherwise you wouldn't bother with RAID at all) :thumbsup: