New Games... Dated Gameplay

Look at all these "gameplay-improving features" <_< ;

Twenty fully customizable, licensed cars are included in the game from Mitsubishi Motors, Subaru, Toyota, and many more

Hundreds of ways to customize your ride. Pick from major aftermarket parts manufacturers

Need for Speed Underground's amazing graphics will immerse gamers in the world of after hours street racing. The diverse urban nighttime environments are modeled after a variety of highly detailed real-world urban landscapes. A new sensation of speed has been created in the game by the award winning Need For Speed team and an OSCAR nominated Hollywood visual effects expert

Over 100 unique events give racers the opportunity to earn cash, buy more upgrades, and unlock cars and tracks while increasing their street reputation

A diverse collection of high-octane music keeps the game rolling

Emergent Gameplay: Want to make a name for yourself in the underground? You'll need to find it first. Races can happen anywhere and at any time and as players encounter rivals on the street they'll be clued into where they can buy the hottest upgrades or enter the most elite events.

Performance Tuning: Tune every aspect of your car's performance with hundreds of licensed aftermarket performance upgrades and then fine-tune everything from the gear ratio to the suspension for the ultimate ride.

The Hottest Cars: More than thirty of the most sought-after tuner cars are available from the hottest manufacturers-from Nissan Motor Co., Toyota, and Mitsubishi Motors and more -- if they're hot on the street, they're in the game.

Visual Customization: With more than twice the visual customizations of last year's game, there are literally billions of car combinations available to gamers. Featuring audio upgrades, scissor doors, spoilers, headlights, side skirts, roof scoops, hoods, rims, wide body kits, neon and more, if you can trick it out in real life, you can trick it out in Need for Speed Underground 2.

Environmental Variety: Each of the five distinct neighborhoods in Need for Speed Underground 2 feature a unique look and feel, including varied driving conditions and track types. Road surfaces, real-time weather effects, and environmental hazards will keep gamers on their toes as they race from dusk till dawn.

Visual Customization - Whether gamers are trying to lose the cops or they just want to pimp their ride, Need for Speed Most Wanted offers extensive visual customizations.

Blacklist - As players enter the world of illicit street racing, they must go up against the best street racers on the scene to earn respect and rise to the top of the Blacklist.

Rap Sheet - Players will build up their Rap Sheet with record breaking times, street challenges and out-foxing an escalation of police vehicles, tactics and technology.

Performance Tuning - Can't compete against a sports car? Head to the safehouse and tune up your ride to race against any class of vehicles.

Next-Gen Graphical Features - Need for Speed Most Wanted for the next generation console delivers the next level of graphical excellence in video games. Utilizing graphical techniques including normal mapping and real-time lighting, the graphical experience is incomparable to any racing game on the market.

Not really. The cars didn't suddenly became arcadier or more realistic. You need the same amount of skills since the same amount of races and stuff is included. There is NO difference in gameplay whatsoever...

Onslaught is a major addition to UT2K4. The ONLY way it made the gameplay different is because there you could use vehicles... unlike in other modes and previous UT's. They changed the gameplay quite a bit... But remember even then it is not the gamemode itself that made the difference; and overall UT2K4 has the same gameplay as UT2K3

No. Not at all if it isn't even used. And if used (jumping) it still adds no gameplay difference whatsoever. If flying would be allowed then it would be different, but really, say for yourself; NWN2 with flying... what a freakin' mess that would become...

Then this "feature" would indeed change gameplay... for the WORSE

No. Not if done like in NFS that the city is still blocked off during the Races. Sure nice and all a free roaming city... but does it make it different from fixed tracks if this city gets huge walls put up in order to keep you on track 24/7? If it is done Tracks vs. a Midnight Club-like 'living city' (during the races you can freely go where you wan't to without blockings... even if it is on the other side of town where the race is totally NOT going on then there would be difference in gameplay; altough tiny

Read the feature list again.

Dont play it so I wouldnt know what the differences were between then anyway.

I didnt say jumping I said Z axis. Yes flying would change the game but that basically proves the point about features effecting gameplay anyway. The change isnt always a possitive one, no one said it would be though.

Thats logical when your actually racing :p

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

One of the main reasons why I would want a Z axis in NWN 2 and Dragon Age is that if I am going to play a rogue I would like to go from roof top to roof top, climb in a second story window, pilfer some trinkets, leave from the same route and have a roof top chase from the guards.

Taken individually they aren't all that impressive but as a whole it does increase the imersion just a bit.  I think that an increased immersion factor is definitely a gameplay issue.  If the game doesn't draw you in you don't play it.

So what you try to say is gameplay improvement can be gained by immersion improvement. And thus these things are definetely improving the gameplay;

Shaders

DX9

Bump-mapping

Light-mapping

High Defenition Lightning

Shader-technique 3.0

Soil Errosion

Eh... sorry... but I can have a perfectly fun game with immersive and "Is it already the next morning" gameplay without needing the most

well if you look at it from a general perspective, all the genres are basically the same game play, FPS= point and shoot RPG=choose your attack and kill RTS=order the other guy to kill Hack and SLash... yeah. you get the idea.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Look at all these "gameplay-improving features"  <_< ;

Do you have a point ?

This is what you said

It is alot easier to note games who did not and keeped succesfull anyways;

Need For Speed IV onwards

Elder Scrolls

Unreal Tournaments

Unreals

Dooms

Quake 1, 2 and 4

KOTOR's

The Sims

Midnight Club

GTA 3 onwards

C&C till General

Age of Empires

Half-Lifes

Ultima's

etc. etc. etc.

Now clearly Need for Speed has added new features. Thats pretty clear from reading the feature list.

Why add new features if not to prevent gameplay from stagnating?

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Read the feature list again.

I did. Did notice 4 or 5 things that were NOT graphics-related (in, wow! 3 games)

Dont play it so I wouldnt know what the differences were between then anyway.

I didnt say jumping I said Z axis. Yes flying would change the game but that basically proves the point about features effecting gameplay anyway. The change isnt always a possitive one, no one said it would be though.

Allready said before; depends on the features. Most (like 99%) of the features does not... and the others that do are usually not implented, causing the game to have a same type of gameplay again.

Really; Z-Axis is a large type of change; but just go about listing 5 other "features" that could really change the gameplay of NWN... not such an easy job is it?

Thats logical when your actually racing  :p

What is (your/)the point of having a full city to roam in freely if it just locks up like a curcuit. Would it have ANY difference in gameplay than a circuit racer. Nope...

Yet; you say it like it is a huge difference in that gameplay

Edited by BattleCookiee

One of the main reasons why I would want a Z axis in NWN 2 and Dragon Age is that if I am going to play a rogue I would like to go from roof top to roof top, climb in a second story window, pilfer some trinkets, leave from the same route and have a roof top chase from the guards.

I'd qualify that as gameplay.

478327[/snapback]

Do you have a point ?

Now clearly Need for Speed has added new features. Thats pretty clear from reading the feature list.

Why add new features if not to prevent gameplay from stagnating?

Because gameplay alteration != a better graphical engine or +xx parts for your car...

It might add some features but that doesn't change the gameplay to be different. But the gameplay between NFS1 and NSF:MW IS different... think about it...

You seem very familiar with the Elder Scrolls what would you say about Battlecookies statement that the Elder Scrolls games have added no new features?

*sigh*

They HAVE added features... it just doesn't change the gameplay in any way. You can add in whatever enchant system you wan't... it is irrelevant to gameplay

Because gameplay alteration != a better graphical engine or +xx parts for your car...

It might add some features but that doesn't change the gameplay to be different. But the gameplay between NFS1 and NSF:MW IS different... think about it...

Graphics maybe not. Parts for your car that adds customisation which will have a profound effect on gameplay.

I already said it was different. I don't need to think about it.

You were just basically wrong when you listed those games and said they have added no new features.

478327[/snapback]

You seem very familiar with the Elder Scrolls what would you say about Battlecookies statement that the Elder Scrolls games have added no new features?

*sigh*

They HAVE added features... it just doesn't change the gameplay in any way. You can add in whatever enchant system you wan't... it is irrelevant to gameplay

It is alot easier to note games who did not and keeped succesfull anyways;

Need For Speed IV onwards

Elder Scrolls

Unreal Tournaments

Unreals

Dooms

Quake 1, 2 and 4

KOTOR's

The Sims

Midnight Club

GTA 3 onwards

C&C till General

Age of Empires

Half-Lifes

Ultima's

etc. etc. etc.

So this was an error ?

478327[/snapback]

Oh yes... what an enormous difference in gameplay.

Before I could only have a yellow car with a white stripe and Y sticker on it

But NOW I can also have it blue with red stripe and X sticker. Amazing... the entire gameplay has changed! OMFG... the cars drive different because of it, a whole new world has opened... I never could have imagined living without it before

*sigh*

But NOW I can also have it blue with red stripe and X sticker. Amazing... the entire gameplay has changed! OMFG... the cars drive different because of it, a whole new world has opened... I never could have imagined living without it before

*sigh*

You said parts not a paint job.

Parts like tires, engines etc will change the gameplay experience since you will need to compensate for different factors.

478327[/snapback]

So this was an error ?

No... I listed Several games who had many succesfull sequels without changing gameplay... ofcourse they added features... but no gameplay difference.

Ofcourse San Andreas added eating; more clothing costumisation; car tuning and I don't know what a huge amount of features with that but it was having the same gameplay as 3 and VC...

*sigh*

Major difference between Undeground 2 and Most Wanted is that you have police force trying to get you and when they do you lose the game.

Then there

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

No... I listed Several games who had many succesfull sequels without changing gameplay... ofcourse they added features... but no gameplay difference.

In response to this ?

And just to keep to the subject Dynasty Warriors is a great example of a series which has added features with each incarnation , without adversly effecting the core gameplay.

478327[/snapback]

Oh yes... it will REALLY matter to my experience if I drive on tires of brand X or brand Y. It will REALLY matter if the wheels look nice or not...

Oh, and that spoiler on the back... so Gameplay-improving that is...

A wait... no... it is just graphical additions. And as we all know graphics don't belong to gameplay...

And even if it is a part which changes the performance of Car X; what would it differ from gameplay if before it was not upgradable or instead of keeping Car X you get car Y to have these boosts?

And even if it is a part which changes the performance of Car X; what would it differ from gameplay if before it was not upgradable or instead of keeping Car X you get car Y to have these boosts?

Same as in Mario Kart where Peach drives in a totally different way to Donkey.

478327[/snapback]

Same as in Mario Kart where Peach drives in a totally different way to Donkey.

:ermm:

Ok, what this has to do with NFS no idea... but here it goes;

That would be like a difference inside a game. You know, like in DX where you can either be stealthy, rambo or hacker etc. But that doesn't mean you can act like DX in for example Doom3. That just isn't working.

Having said that; Sequel of Game X is NOT different in gameplay if you put in the same cars, give them parts which will edit some of their specs and then release it; even if the cars could have differences inbetween them...