New Games... Dated Gameplay

I have been trying to broaden my horizons on the games I play and I have had some success.  ;)

Besides, if anything that Werewolf incident in Bloodlines showed me I need to increase my twitch factor skills just a bit.  ;)

Point was actually that Half-Life2 has an easy to use toolset... unlike what you mention...

Well, since most games in the future will use UE3 and that one has a very managable toolset included with it... no problem at all

Like as easy as NwN ? Which wasnt really that easy at all.

I've never liked the mod scene anyway. It's always brought to mind that "well if someone is going to mod it anyway we don't have to be too careful about getting it right".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You know, the really basic stuff. In RPGs it would be ability to make choices and improving your character. Or are they more of game defining features and not gameplay features? But for me gameplay features are those features that make the game play in certain genre. All the rest are just shining.

I'd call them game defining features. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It kills so much for me, seeing my character get stuck against a ledge that in real life would be comparable to a door step

But how is that possible with NWN2? Because it has a pre-made and never changing without such obstacles map why would you need to jump?

I doubt that in NWN you need to climb mountains without any path towards it forcing you to keep jumping to the top.

While one game might have/need such a function, another does not; and then forcing it into that game for "advanchment" is just silly and can cause unsuspected results (care to jump into the unknown blackness anyone?)

Like as easy as NwN ? Which wasnt really that easy at all.

Dunno. About like modding UT2K4 only even more easier (well, except maybe the skinning of characters)

I've never liked the mod scene anyway. It's always brought to mind that "well if someone is going to mod it anyway we don't have to be too careful about getting it right".

Never been a fan of it myself. Only like to use "Total conversions" once in a while, but just those little tweaks etc.? Nah...

Too bad most mods are those tweaks (logical, due to the time it cost for a conversion, but still...)

Let's cut to the real issue here; yes NWN 2 having no Z-Axis is sh.t, and no matter how they've used the time gained by not putting it in they'll never make up for it, but I doubt they've lost a single customer over it. NWN is too unique for them to have to give a damn.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Uh... the gameplay in Arena is not even comparable to Morrowind, let alone Oblivion.

Yes. Give the great additions to gameplay then (between Arena-MW). Or is "soil errosion" such a magnificant gameplay-improving tool? ;)"

There isn't alot of things that make me go saying that MW is a huge improvement upon Arena/Daggerfall (except perhaps less bugs)

Actually, I enjoyed Daggerfall more than Morrowind, but not because the gameplay was better. I'd say Daggerfall had most of the features of Morrowind, but certainly not all of them (Seamless word, better item enchanting, more spells, better bow gameplay, just to name a few). Arena on the other hand, you must have really good memories about that game... delusional memories.

Jumping in unknown blackness might be fun for some, especially those who are lemming descendent. That does remind me when I first played Tomb Raider. It was in the lst stages of the game where we had to get through this huge crevice with lava below. I jumped so many times just to die in the lava to hear Lara Craft scream. BWAAHAAAHAAAA! ;)

Um... ;)

Actually, I enjoyed Daggerfall more than Morrowind, but not because the gameplay was better.  I'd say Daggerfall had most of the features of Morrowind, but certainly not all of them (Seamless word, better item enchanting, more spells, better bow gameplay, just to name a few).  Arena on the other hand, you must have really good memories about that game... delusional memories.

Still not a major upping in gameplay would it be then, eh? Nor a chance in the gameplay. Adding some fluffy extra's (MORE SPELLS, MORE QUESTS, MORE WEAPON DIVERSITY!) doesn't improve or alter the gameplay in any way...

And the item enchanting system of MW was severly broken, the more spells and better gameplay just fluffy extra's...

Not saying that a game HAS to have radical changes for every itteration, why fix something that ain't broken?... but ES certainly didn't had any changes in gameplay over the lifetime...

You can claim "Not saying that a game HAS to have radical changes for every itteration" all day long, but that is, in fact, what you're asking for.

Next you'll say mounts were not a gameplay addition, and a seamless world is a TREMENDOUS undertaking and a huge gameplay leap. Just because you don't think so doesn't matter.

Going by your apparent thinking, NWN is no different than BG1. Sure it is 3d, and you can do more with the character, but there is no REAL gameplay improvements.

My cyber eyes are rolling.

Not saying that a game HAS to have radical changes for every itteration, why fix something that ain't broken?... but ES certainly didn't had any changes in gameplay over the lifetime...

The counter-argument would be that even good gameplay features become stale after several outings. More innovation would be welcome, but the industry doesn't seem to encourage it and most consumers don't seem to demand it or, if they do, able to make their demands heard.

If Oblivion really is just Morrowind with better graphics (despite promises to the contrary), I will be disappointed. Surprised, too.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

You can claim "Not saying that a game HAS to have radical changes for every itteration" all day long, but that is, in fact, what you're asking for.

Not me... I didn't start this thread saying NWN2 will have less of a gameplay advanchment than Oblivion... a false claim IMO; since both will preserve the gameplaystyle of the predecessor...

Next you'll say mounts were not a gameplay addition, and a seamless world is a TREMENDOUS undertaking and a huge gameplay leap.  Just because you don't think so doesn't matter.

Well, horses are not... but a streamless world is... Also loading in before shown like UT2K7 will use allows for bigger maps causing a better/other gameplay experience... that is if the game is map-based (like UT)...

Going by your apparent thinking, NWN is no different than BG1.  Sure it is 3d, and you can do more with the character, but there is no REAL gameplay improvements.

Indeed... there has been things added to it, but it plays the same (actually worse... :( because of the time passed)

My cyber eyes are rolling.

:thumbsup:

If Oblivion really is just Morrowind with better graphics (despite promises to the contrary), I will be disappointed.  Surprised, too.

It depends on how you play, really. You CAN play it as nothing more than a really beautiful Morrowind (with a much more inclusive story), if that is what you want. Even then there are options not available in Morrowind, like trap-springing, a viable sneak option, horse-riding.

I am still waiting for a CRPG that has full horse combat and mounted archery as an option.  *sniff*

Since your trying to improve your twitch skills give Dynasty Warriors a try.

I like Empires. It's not the best , but it's got elements that others don't have like a strategy map and "empire" building.

Umm.. I can only find Empires on the PS2. Dynasty Warriors 5 is definately available for the Xbox.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

This sounds like your sort of thing.

Destiny Mode

In the series' first-ever Destiny mode, your ultimate goal is to become the commander of an entire army. First, you'll create your own character that will start out as a foot soldier with limited fighting abilities. As you work your way up the ranks, you'll gain new fighting, strategy, and leadership abilities.

Destiny mode gives you an unmatched level of control over your character by letting you choose which kingdom to defend and which officer to serve. Have you become disillusioned with a kingdom's leadership? Switch allegiance to another kingdom or officer!

In battle, you'll build a reputation among the legendary generals. For example, Xiahou Dun could invite you to join him. By siding with him, you may stand to gain new skills and even a promotion. It's up to you to accept or refuse.

Can only find a PS2 listing again though.

And just to keep to the subject Dynasty Warriors is a great example of a series which has added features with each incarnation , without adversly effecting the core gameplay.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

I can't find a need for speed 4 anywhere.

From underground

Features:

Twenty fully customizable, licensed cars are included in the game from Mitsubishi Motors, Subaru, Toyota, and many more

Several unique racing events will be featured in the game including Drag Racing and Street Racing

Hundreds of ways to customize your ride. Pick from major aftermarket parts manufacturers

Need for Speed Underground's amazing graphics will immerse gamers in the world of after hours street racing. The diverse urban nighttime environments are modeled after a variety of highly detailed real-world urban landscapes. A new sensation of speed has been created in the game by the award winning Need For Speed team and an OSCAR nominated Hollywood visual effects expert

Over 100 unique events give racers the opportunity to earn cash, buy more upgrades, and unlock cars and tracks while increasing their street reputation

A diverse collection of high-octane music keeps the game rolling

Online support for up to 4 players on the PlayStation 2 (broadband only) and PC

From underground II

Features:

Free-Roaming City: Explore a massive city divided into five distinct, interconnected neighborhoods, ranging from serpentine suburban hills to an intense downtown grid. A complex series of drivable freeways connect the neighborhoods together.

Emergent Gameplay: Want to make a name for yourself in the underground? You'll need to find it first. Races can happen anywhere and at any time and as players encounter rivals on the street they'll be clued into where they can buy the hottest upgrades or enter the most elite events.

New Gameplay Modes: Three new gameplay modes are added to last year's circuit, drift and drag competitions, challenging gamers to hone their skills in a number of driving disciplines.

Performance Tuning: Tune every aspect of your car's performance with hundreds of licensed aftermarket performance upgrades and then fine-tune everything from the gear ratio to the suspension for the ultimate ride.

The Hottest Cars: More than thirty of the most sought-after tuner cars are available from the hottest manufacturers-from Nissan Motor Co., Toyota, and Mitsubishi Motors and more -- if they're hot on the street, they're in the game.

Visual Customization: With more than twice the visual customizations of last year's game, there are literally billions of car combinations available to gamers. Featuring audio upgrades, scissor doors, spoilers, headlights, side skirts, roof scoops, hoods, rims, wide body kits, neon and more, if you can trick it out in real life, you can trick it out in Need for Speed Underground 2.

Environmental Variety: Each of the five distinct neighborhoods in Need for Speed Underground 2 feature a unique look and feel, including varied driving conditions and track types. Road surfaces, real-time weather effects, and environmental hazards will keep gamers on their toes as they race from dusk till dawn.

From most wanted.

Features:

Open Road, Open World - Rule the streets as the most notorious street racer in various regions that include edgy industrial and urban environments. In the game, the environment can be a friend for a foe. Players will master short-cuts as well as use the traffic and destructible environments to their advantage.

All-New Gameplay - Need for Speed Most Wanted features new and exciting gameplay that incorporates strategic cop pursuit and skill-based evasion techniques with illicit street racing.

Visual Customization - Whether gamers are trying to lose the cops or they just want to pimp their ride, Need for Speed Most Wanted offers extensive visual customizations.

Blacklist - As players enter the world of illicit street racing, they must go up against the best street racers on the scene to earn respect and rise to the top of the Blacklist.

Rap Sheet - Players will build up their Rap Sheet with record breaking times, street challenges and out-foxing an escalation of police vehicles, tactics and technology.

Performance Tuning - Can't compete against a sports car? Head to the safehouse and tune up your ride to race against any class of vehicles.

Next-Gen Graphical Features - Need for Speed Most Wanted for the next generation console delivers the next level of graphical excellence in video games. Utilizing graphical techniques including normal mapping and real-time lighting, the graphical experience is incomparable to any racing game on the market.

Race Online - Need For Speed Most Wanted features online play for Xbox 360, Xbox, the PlayStation

478327[/snapback]

Yeah, but added features don't exactly change the gameplay does it?

If I take a UT, add in a gamemode... did the gameplay change a bit?

No... did there is an additional feature... yes.

But I thought this topic was about gameplay, not "features"

Yes the skills needed for Underground are very different to those needed for most wanted. But they are still driving games.

Depends what the gamemode is. Some can change the game more significantly than others.

Well features are an aspect of gameplay. An NWN without a Z axis will play very differently to one with a Z axis for example.

Likewise a big sprawling "living city" plays completely differently to a series of tracks.

478327[/snapback]

Yes the skills needed for Underground are very different to those needed for most wanted. But they are still driving games.

Not really. The cars didn't suddenly became arcadier or more realistic. You need the same amount of skills since the same amount of races and stuff is included. There is NO difference in gameplay whatsoever...

Depends what the gamemode is. Some can change the game more significantly than others.

Onslaught is a major addition to UT2K4. The ONLY way it made the gameplay different is because there you could use vehicles... unlike in other modes and previous UT's. They changed the gameplay quite a bit... But remember even then it is not the gamemode itself that made the difference; and overall UT2K4 has the same gameplay as UT2K3

Well features are an aspect of gameplay. An NWN without a Z axis will play very differently to one with a Z axis for example.

No. Not at all if it isn't even used. And if used (jumping) it still adds no gameplay difference whatsoever. If flying would be allowed then it would be different, but really, say for yourself; NWN2 with flying... what a freakin' mess that would become...

Then this "feature" would indeed change gameplay... for the WORSE

Likewise a big sprawling "living city" plays completely differently to a series of tracks.

No. Not if done like in NFS that the city is still blocked off during the Races. Sure nice and all a free roaming city... but does it make it different from fixed tracks if this city gets huge walls put up in order to keep you on track 24/7? If it is done Tracks vs. a Midnight Club-like 'living city' (during the races you can freely go where you wan't to without blockings... even if it is on the other side of town where the race is totally NOT going on then there would be difference in gameplay; altough tiny