Geforce 7900 out now!

Bokishi

NEVER get the latest card... you can easily save yourself $200 by buying a less modern one and then replace it a few years later when it actually has become obsolete... and there are 10 new releases since...

I think there is an exception to this. I think its safe to say you can get the newest most expenisive video card out if its the last one there'll be. Take the agp for instance. If you must upgrade, you might as well get the BEST card out there to last you awhile before you have to upgrade your ENTIRE pc again because of the transition to PCI 16

I have AGP, and the 7800GS isn't that much better then the 6800GT, and I'm not about to upgrade my ENTIRE system to play one game. Ill wait till the unreal 3.0 engine is out, Duke Nukem 4forever, Longest Journey, Halflife expansions, ect... which will all be out this winter supposedly, after which i will build the greatest conceivable machine known to MANKIND! :devil:

Warning: Duke nukem is subject to change its dates release and so it will be that i will not wait till this comes out.

EDIT: Bokishi, your rich, how about you buy me a custom 7900GTX AGP card! I'd love you for it! :wub:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

NEVER get the latest card... you can easily save yourself $200 by buying a less modern one and then replace it a few years later when it actually has become obsolete... and there are 10 new releases since...

I think there is an exception to this. I think its safe to say you can get the newest most expenisive video card out if its the last one there'll be. Take the agp for instance. If you must upgrade, you might as well get the BEST card out there to last you awhile before you have to upgrade your ENTIRE pc again because of the transition to PCI 16

I have AGP, and the 7800GS isn't that much better then the 6800GT, and I'm not about to upgrade my ENTIRE system to play one game. Ill wait till the unreal 3.0 engine is out, Duke Nukem 4forever, Longest Journey, Halflife expansions, ect... which will all be out this winter supposedly, after which i will build the greatest conceivable machine known to MANKIND! :devil:

Warning: Duke nukem is subject to change its dates release and so it will be that i will not wait till this comes out.

EDIT: Bokishi, your rich, how about you buy me a custom 7900GTX AGP card! I'd love you for it! :wub:

Dude that's impossible. The reason the 7800 GS isn't much better than the 6800 is because the AGP can't handle more power. But if I could I would, don't get me wrong.

Wait for the next card release, then the older ones will be cheaper.

No point in buying just yet. There are some bargains to be had, like the 6800GS, especially if you buy two in SLI (assuming you don't have an AGP motherboard, which IIRC you do).

the newer cards will have more unified shading units, which should suit later games (like F.E.A.R. and games yet to be released), so buying a current card will just be a stop-gap ... after all the 6800 has been out for yonks.

Sounds good. By the time I get money saved for this, it will probably be at model 8500 or something like that. :)

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I have AGP, and the 7800GS isn't that much better then the 6800GT, and I'm not about to upgrade my ENTIRE system to play one game. Ill wait till the unreal 3.0 engine is out, Duke Nukem 4forever, Longest Journey, Halflife expansions, ect... which will all be out this winter  supposedly, after which i will build the greatest conceivable machine known to  MANKIND! :)

Can you run two 6800s in SLI with AGP (can't remember off-hand)?

Also, isn't there a 7 series for the AGP out now? 7800GS or something?

*goes to google*

Yep

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If the 7800 GS dropped like.. $120-150 in price, I would consider getting it, since then it would make a great upgrade for my aging computer. Otherwise I have to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and GPU at the same time, something which is quite expensive.

I'lk upgrade in time for Gothic 3. At least that's my plan, unless something else (*cough*Neverwinter Nights 2*cough*) comes along and forces me into upgrading early.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The 7800 GS isn't worth the price.  AGP sockets cannot manage the card well.  Bokishi already covered that.

Also, I don't think there are any mobos that support SLI for AGP.

Not sure why you think that the AGP slot won't take the strain, perhaps you might like to provide some evidence?

For my part, this is all I know about the 7800GS:

XFX GeForce 7800GS AGP

Nvidia has finally responded to the frustrated cries from owners of AGP PCs, and given us a GeForce 7800-series AGP card: the 7800GS. Inside this GPU are six vertex units and sixteen pixel pipelines, but the 7800GS also follows Nvidia's recent strategy to cut down on unnecessary silicon, and has only eight ROPs. At first glance this doesn't look much better than a GeForce 6800GT, but Nvidia has made up for that difference by pushing up the clock speed of the 110nm part.

So, while the 6800GT had a 350MHz core and 500MHz (1GHz effective) GDDR3 memory, XFX's 7800GS has a super-fast 440Mhz core and 650MHz (1.3GHz effective) GDDR3 memory. Not only that, but the 7800GS also features the mathematical features of found in other 7800-series GPUs, including the ability to process up to four operations per pixel shader. This means that the 7800GS can process eight MULs (multiplication operations) and eight MADDS (multiplication and addition operations) at the same time, while the 6800GT can only process four of each. The 7800GS also supports transparency anti-aliasing.

The end result of all this is a fast graphics card that will revitalise older AGP systems at the reasonable cost of

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm not doubting the abilities of the 7800 GS. I'm doubting its rather hefty price (in Sweden at least).

The XFX Geforce 7800 GS 256 MB RAM costs $442 in Sweden. That's $442 just to give your dinosaur maybe a year of extra life. Expensive year. Then, when you finally have to upgrade, you just toss it! I'm sure someone might buy it, but you'll probably get like $100 for it by then. Might as well bite the bullet and get a motherboard with PCI-Express 16 already. I saw Asrock sold a motherboard with a Socket 939 that was transformable into the new AM2 socket. That sounds like somewhat more future proof.

I've been impressed with what I've read about Conroe so far, but I am sure AMD has something up their sleeves too, and they usually have better prices so I am aiming for yet another AMD system.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sure, no argument. As the reviewer said: best to get a new mobo and only get the 7800GS if you can't afford that. False economy? Probably.

I can't see many more AGP GPUs released (either this one or the 7900GS, if it ever is), so this where the two companies will make their exit statements, methinks; y'know, the last word in AGP (who made what was the best).

It'll probably take most of the year for the dust to settle (read: prices reach a reasonable level) after the two release their 2006 offerings (in Summer, I expect), so I am in no hurry. By the time I am ready to buy there will be no doubt as to what is best value/money.

:(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT