The bravest woman in the middle east

Meshugger

A lot of atheists seem to have a superiority complex.

As do plenty of Christians, Muslims and others. I hear atheist speakers on the radio saying that religion is a mental illness and I wince, because they're not speaking on my behalf, but equally I hear religious participants in discussion programmes who are very respectful of each other but contemptuous of secular humanism - and there's usually no humanist allowed to join the debate. Meangingful exchange of ideas can best take place in an atmosphere of mutual respect and tolerance, and it's possible to explain why we think the other side is wrong without being insulting about it.

Like... here? :(

Atheism is a religion pretty much as well. It even has its extremists as illustrated in this thread.

Aethism isnt a religion. :lol:

A religion has a set of principles and dictates. Aethists just don't believe in higher powers.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"When I say lazy, I mean that to me, it is lazy to just let a God solve problems or influence your life. "Oh no I'm in trouble! Well I pray all the time so God will take care of me, thats what God wants". YOU are in charge of your life and only you can make things happen and influence what happens with your life. Not God."

That's absolutely nonsense filled. Many religious people are some of the most driven people ever.

The fact that thse people often have successful careers in various fields proves this. I seriosuly doubt they expect God to s'olve all their problems'. In fact, one of the big things is that God expects one to solve their own problems. People tend to pray to God for guildance and comfort; but ultimately their decision and actions are *theirs*.

"Instead of "retarded", I should've used another term, like "naive" or something. To me, worshipping a God is barbaric, it is a lack of evolution, it is closing your eyes to many truths, like leaders of certain countries who use religion as a means to gather support for their causes/goals. People are so blinded by their religious beliefs that they will fly a plane in a skyscraper because their leader, a human being, told them they would reach a kind of heaven if they did."

Absolute crap. What you are suggesting is naive, and barbaric. It also proves how blined you are by YOUR extremism, and YOUR hatred.

btw, This is coming from an EX Christian who dissaproves of God's murderous ways.

"Aethism isnt a religion."

I said it was like a religion; not that it was a rleigion. Subtle but suitable differences. Many athiests surely trwat it as one espciially with their Damnation of The Religious', and the extremist views.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't know of any aethiests who advocate killing religious people. Does anyone ?

Most are only bothered by religion when it comes into politics. Since it's quite daft that you should be able to dictate terms without proof of any kind.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I said it was like a religion; not that it was a rleigion. Subtle but suitable differences. Many athiests surely trwat it as one espciially with their Damnation of The Religious', and the extremist views.

No they don't. Aethism dosn't work that way.

What extreme views ? It's the other religions that go beating up on each other.

It's not an extreme view that religion has served it's purpose. It would be an extreme view to kill anyone who believes in a higher being.

As I said most aethiests are quite happy to let people worship whatever they like. What ticks them off is when the religious element comes along and says "God says you can't do that".

478327[/snapback]

"When I say lazy, I mean that to me, it is lazy to just let a God solve problems or influence your life. "Oh no I'm in trouble! Well I pray all the time so God will take care of me, thats what God wants". YOU are in charge of your life and only you can make things happen and influence what happens with your life. Not God."

That's absolutely nonsense filled. Many religious people are some of the most driven people ever.

The fact that thse people often have successful careers in various fields proves this. I seriosuly doubt they expect God to s'olve all their problems'. In fact, one of the big things is that God expects one to solve their own problems. People tend to pray to God for guildance and comfort; but ultimately their decision and actions are *theirs*.

"Instead of "retarded", I should've used another term, like "naive" or something. To me, worshipping a God is barbaric, it is a lack of evolution, it is closing your eyes to many truths, like leaders of certain countries who use religion as a means to gather support for their causes/goals. People are so blinded by their religious beliefs that they will fly a plane in a skyscraper because their leader, a human being, told them they would reach a kind of heaven if they did."

Absolute crap. What you are suggesting is naive, and barbaric. It also proves how blined you are by YOUR extremism, and YOUR hatred.

btw, This is coming from an EX Christian who dissaproves of God's murderous ways.

"Aethism isnt a religion."

"There is no God or Gods or divinities. There are no souls either. When we die, nothing happens. Our bodies decompose into the earth, feed other living creatures and the circle of life continues. If you know that your only purpose in existence is simply to live and then die, religion becomes completely pointless, aside from giving some illusionary sense of security and confort."

I really can't say anything more. And the best part is that I don't have to. If you don't understand, you may never and it really makes no difference if you do or not.

No they don't. Aethism dosn't work that way.

What extreme views ? It's the other religions that go beating up on each other.

It's not an extreme view that religion has served it's purpose. It would be an extreme view to kill anyone who believes in a higher being.

As I said most aethiests are quite happy to let people worship whatever they like. What ticks them off is when the religious element comes along and says "God says you can't do that".

Because there is no God.

"There is no God or Gods or divinities. There are no souls either. When we die, nothing happens. Our bodies decompose into the earth, feed other living creatures and the circle of life continues. If you know that your only purpose in existence is simply to live and then die, religion becomes completely pointless, aside from giving some illusionary sense of security and confort."

I really can't say anything more. And the best part is that I don't have to. If you don't understand, you may never and it really makes no difference if you do or not.

You could always worship Gaia :lol:

Some would say false hope is better than no hope.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

You could always worship Gaia :)

Gaia exists at least. And my actions can influence Gaia. But if I did worship Gaia then I would not be Atheist and just as lazy and retarded as the rest of the religious peoples :lol:

"I don't know of any aethiests who advocate killing religious people. Does anyone ?"

Hades.

"As I said most aethiests are quite happy to let people worship whatever they like."

Yo, Mcfly. Most religious people feel the same exact way. They also have no problem with other sbeing athiest, and leave alone. Once again, as any group espicially a speudo rleigious group, athiests have their *own* extremists.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I don't know of any aethiests who advocate killing religious people. Does anyone ?"

Hades.

"As I said most aethiests are quite happy to let people worship whatever they like."

Yo, Mcfly. Most religious people feel the same exact way. They also have no problem with other sbeing athiest, and leave alone. Once again, as any group espicially a speudo rleigious group, athiests have their *own* extremists.

I don't think message boards count.

Show me some aethiest extremists. Attacking religion on the basis of it being a made up fairy tale. After all people who follow the current religions have no problem believing that the Greek or Viking pantheon were nothing more than a fairy tale. That's not extemism. Especially when someone is trying to use some sort of religious mandate as a fact.

478327[/snapback]

I guess I'm just lucky, but I have only been disturbed at home once by religious missionaries.

I politely declined their request, and went about my day.

For the record, I'm agnostic as well. I tend to be a scientist and like evidence which makes me skeptical about the presence of a diety, but given it's equally impossible to disprove the existence of a diety as it is to prove it, I wouldn't be too horribly surprised if there was one (or many).

I guess I'm just lucky, but I have only been disturbed at home once by religious missionaries.

I politely declined their request, and went about my day.

For the record, I'm agnostic as well.  I tend to be a scientist and like evidence which makes me skeptical about the presence of a diety, but given it's equally impossible to disprove the existence of a diety as it is to prove it, I wouldn't be too horribly surprised if there was one (or many).

So you believe or don't believe, equally, in deities, aliens, ghosts and psychic readers?

There is a big difference between being an atheist and being agnostic. Most atheists I know seem hellbent on the idea that there is no higher power. That isn't scientific, that's a personal belief. There is no direct evidence for or against the idea of a higher power.

Now there are major contradictions among the world religions. That is reasonable, because religions are a product of man. But just because a religion is flawed does not mean there is no God.

There is a big difference between being an atheist and being agnostic.  Most atheists I know seem hellbent on the idea that there is no higher power.  That isn't scientific, that's a personal belief.  There is no direct evidence for or against the idea of a higher power.

Now there are major contradictions among the world religions.  That is reasonable, because religions are a product of man.  But just because a religion is flawed does not mean there is no God.

God is an invention of man. If you believe that God exists you must also believe in Bigfoot, Star Wars(a galaxy far, far away where Han Solo does Leia every night and so on), ghosts and that aliens are among us.

Same thing.

Edited by astr0creep