Black Isle Compilation

Diogo Ribeiro

Well, I am basing it on when I played both around the release of Unreal Tournament... so for me it was all about the gameplay; I played UT if I wanted graphics.

And I won't budge on this one, whatever you gonna try...

So then you wouldn't have any idea if either of the games were the big catalyst for FPS gaming. You yourself said you weren't playing them at this time.

Doom still has way more gameplay than Wolf3D.

Aye, I've pretty much outgrown 'standard FPS games' (much like I have 'standard RTS'). Deathmatchy run-&-gun can be fun, I guess, but I'm into realistic FPS nowadays. Tactical teamplay > twitch. Red Orchestra and Armed Assault/Operation Flashpoint 2 are pretty much the only games in the genre I'm looking forward to.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

But you are not loathed...

I'm sure I annoy the piss out of some people.

Quake III was the multiplayer ...

Quake 3's purpose was multiplayer, but Quake revolutionized it. It lead to things such as QuakeSpy (precursor to Gamespy, which was THE server list of choice until they went to suck). The Team Fortress mod was also exceptionally popular. The game was also playable on a 56k modem.

Quake II seemed to be the mass introduction of mods (yes, mods did exist before this, but wowee was there tons of Quake II). One mod in particular was Action Quake 2, which ultimately evolved into Counterstrike for Half-Life. Half-Life decided that stories were not passe, and coupling that with fantastic mod support, it's not too surprising that Half-Life is probably the best selling FPS of all time.

Quake III was out shortly afterwards, focusing solely on multiplayer. I suspect it didn't do as well because Unreal Tournament came out, and offered much more variety in game styles, as well as better bots. The biggest contribution Quake III did was probably it's engine, which was used to create games like Call of Duty and whatnot.

Only the people convinced games cost $3000,-

And on the Quake stuff... can't really comment on the first 2; but yes Quake 3's only advantage was the better graphics (untill UT2K3) and the faster paced action than UT...

And ID isn't really making classics anymore.

Doom3 and Quake4 passed very quickly, RtcW was also nothing... ET was done extremely well and was very popular; but released free etc.

(Wait, was this topic about Black Isle?)

I think he's too daft to realize I was making fun of him.

Doom3 and Quake4 passed very quickly, RtcW was also nothing... ET was done extremely well and was very popular; but released free etc

To be fair, Quake 4 wasn't them, it was Raven. Though I am surprised the Doom 3 engine didn't take off.

And on the Quake stuff... can't really comment on the first 2; but yes Quake 3's only advantage was the better graphics (untill UT2K3) and the faster paced action than UT...

Doom3 and Quake4 passed very quickly, RtcW was also nothing... ET was done extremely well and was very popular; but released free etc.

(Wait, was this topic about Black Isle?)

You are here for longer than me. So you should know it better then i do. At Obsidian Forums, the first and the last posts of same threads are always irrelevant.

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

Yeah. I was just expecting more of an explosion, which id has always seem to do. Even if their games aren't that great, their engines have always been popular to license.

Though I think this might have more to do with Epic and their engine.

Doom3 engine is being used to make the new ET, Quake Wars. Sounds good, actually, if you're into that kind of gameplay.

Not what I heard... and if so, it is a HEAVILY modified one... allowing major outside area's, nade-less ground streaming and an amazingly far view (kinda looks like UE3 actually a bit)

You are here for longer than me.

False statement detected...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Quake Wars is on the Doom 3 engine. I don't think it is even that heavily modified. Doom 3 did support open environments, it just rarely used them.

THere are a few instances where you go out onto the surface of the planet and there is wide open spaces. The game design just didn't call for it.

Quake IV is on the Doom 3 engine as well, and it also has wide open environments.

Doom3 engine is being used to make the new ET, Quake Wars. Sounds good, actually, if you're into that kind of gameplay.

Not what I heard... and if so, it is a HEAVILY modified one... allowing major outside area's, nade-less ground streaming and an amazingly far view (kinda looks like UE3 actually a bit)

You are here for longer than me.

False statement detected...

Ops. At least you have more posts. :">

centinexx.png

Quake Wars is on the Doom 3 engine.  I don't think it is even that heavily modified.  Doom 3 did support open environments, it just rarely used them.

THere are a few instances where you go out onto the surface of the planet and there is wide open spaces.  The game design just didn't call for it.

Quake IV is on the Doom 3 engine as well, and it also has wide open environments.

Yeah, Carmack owned up to that design "feature" ... he thought everyone would want to play the corridor-hugging SURPRISE!-fest that was Doom 3.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT