Movies You Have Seen Lately

Dark_Raven

Your second link fails to deliver, meta.

Fixed!

I saw Pitch Black yesterday and can't understand why is it said to be a bad movie so often. I wasn't terribly interested or amazed, but it was worth a see. I recommend renting.

It's okay. I was annoyed that it was a dumbed-down screenplay from Isaac Asimov's Nightfall (the short story, which he later turned into a novel, with a co-writer, that was, incongruously, less good).

Nightfall is about a planet that orbits a bunch of stars (six?) so that there is never a "night" on the planet. Well, when I say never, there is, but only every few millennia ... and historians from the current age track back to find a bunch of civilizations before their own, at regularly timed intervals ... that just happen to coincide with the predicted total solar eclipse due shortly ... much more satisfying novella. But the film was okay for an action title. :blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Um, from memory it was just after the laboratory invasion ... the central premise was that seeing the planet wasn't alone in the universe (finally seeing all the stars, and concluding that there might well be many other inhabitable worlds out there) was enough to make the deists crazy and rampage around and destroy the world. (God lied to us, We're not the chosen ones, etc, etc.)

Quite a subtle critique of the dangers of religion as a theocracy.

Still, you are right, it wouldn't be much of a film: films are best with lots of action and less philosophising. :D

Actually, Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ is a better film for historical accuracy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455507/

Hee hee. Harsh, but certainly a viable opinion. Mr Dawkins's film was broadcasted on free-to-air tv recently, and it was certainly good to hear someone talking logically about faith-based matters, for a change. :blink:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Um, from memory it was just after the laboratory invasion ... the central premise was that seeing the planet wasn't alone in the universe (finally seeing all the stars, and concluding that there might well be many other inhabitable worlds out there) was enough to make the deists crazy and rampage around and destroy the world. (God lied to us, We're not the chosen ones, etc, etc.)

Well, I found the novel's ending rather interesting, at the time - this was about 2 years ago(?), the whole post-apocalyptic sequences and organized religion as an unknowing tool of reason and logic, for while the plane insanity of fundamentalism is a valuable and present-day parable, the simple fact that we can use the lesser gifted humans to further our so-called humanistic causes was something I truly enjoyed.

Still, you are right, it wouldn't be much of a film: films are best with lots of action and less philosophising.

Not really what I meant by "bah", but the number of philosophical Science Fiction movies seems rather low, something to do with explosions being "totally sweet and awesome", I think.

I'm a huge Groundhog Day fan. I had the video tape and literally wore it out by watching it. My wife bought me the DVD, which has stood up quite well.

I just asked my wife how many times I'd seen it and she just rolled her eyes and said, "I have no idea." She's tired of me watching it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My Best Friends Wedding :)

King Arthur ( most recent one ) :geek: --I liked it

Bought Serenity last week but have yet to see it -- bought it on all your recommendations so I hope I'm not dissapointed :lol:

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

I'm a huge Groundhog Day fan.  I had the video tape and literally wore it out by watching it.  My wife bought me the DVD, which has stood up quite well.

I just asked my wife how many times I'd seen it and she just rolled her eyes and said, "I have no idea."  She's tired of me watching it.

Irony!

I like it too, but you do realise that you are condemning Bill Murray's weatherman to a prolonged stay in limbo, by watching his performance over and over again!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm a huge Groundhog Day fan.  I had the video tape and literally wore it out by watching it.  My wife bought me the DVD, which has stood up quite well.

I just asked my wife how many times I'd seen it and she just rolled her eyes and said, "I have no idea."  She's tired of me watching it.

Irony!

I like it too, but you do realise that you are condemning Bill Murray's weatherman to a prolonged stay in limbo, by watching his performance over and over again!

:lol: Evertime you watch it it proves eternal recurrence!

i just saw V For Vendetta... AWESOME! I loved it, it was great fabtabulous! They did the comic proud, alan moore is a genious. :o

V wrote:

This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I watched Sid and Nancy again last night. It's been a few years since I've seen it but couldn't resist buying it when I saw it on the cheap. Gary Oldman starved himself down to about 140 pounds on a diet consisting of one piece of steamed fish and seaweed daily to portray heroin addict Sid Vicious. It's a slow film, but great nonetheless.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

People should be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people

You'll want to correct that quote.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

People should be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people

:p

I saw King Kong this weekend. Some long parts, great action scenes and really good acting.

But there was something missing and the effects were iffy on a 52''HD tv.

No, that quote is right. :ph34r:

Its a conspiracy, I hope they don't catch on.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig