ATi hits the front

metadigital

Despite the X1800 being released late (Autumn instead of Spring), four months later (and on the original six month life-cycle schedule) the X1900 is here. With Crossfire.

X1900XTX 512MB faster than nVidia 7800GTX 512MB in nearly all benchmarks (51/52).

Linkie

Specifications

Features

* 384 million transistors on 90nm

* fabrication process

* 48 pixel shader processors

* 8 vertex shader processors

* 256-bit 8-channel GDDR3

* memory interface

* Native PCI Express x16 bus interface

Ring Bus Memory Controller

* 512-bit internal ring bus for memory reads

* Fully associative texture, color, and Z/stencil cache designs

* Hierarchical Z-buffer with Early Z test

* Lossless Z Compression (up to 48:1)

* Fast Z-Buffer Clear

* Optimized for performance at high display resolutions, including widescreen HDTV resolutions

Ultra-Threaded Shader Engine

* Support for Microsoft

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I was just wondering what's the price range of the nVidia 7800GTX in the US or the UK?

Wait till Nvidia answered on this card... or miss a very good pricedrop (and thus waste alot of your cash)

Golden Rule of PC-gaming;

Never buy the latest graphical card, nor give up to anything like SLI...

My 7800 cost around $300, but came with a free $129 mobo, so I got a hell of a deal. As for SLI, that has to be enabled in the game you're playing in order to take advantage of it. Crossfire supposedly does not.

Edited by Shadowstrider

You didn't answer my question, but then again you're Dutch....

:huh: I feel violated!

Damn Frappr! stalkers...

My 7800 cost around $300, but came with a free $129 mobo, so I got a hell of a deal.  As for SLI, that has to be enabled in the game you're playing in order to take advantage of it.  Crossfire supposedly does not.

350,- over here... but witout additional stuff... (MSI NX7800GT VT2D 256MB PCI-E)

Or 560,-, altough I fail to see the difference between the 2 except a X (MSI NX7800GTX VT2D 256MB PCI-E (B))

So, is that a special Bethesda-deal... or do you really have a cheap hardware seller over there that should go international :p ?

You didn't answer my question, but then again you're Dutch....

:huh: I feel violated!

Damn Frappr! stalkers...

My 7800 cost around $300, but came with a free $129 mobo, so I got a hell of a deal.  As for SLI, that has to be enabled in the game you're playing in order to take advantage of it.  Crossfire supposedly does not.

350,- over here... but witout additional stuff... (MSI NX7800GT VT2D 256MB PCI-E)

Or 560,-, altough I fail to see the difference between the 2 except a X (MSI NX7800GTX VT2D 256MB PCI-E (B))

So, is that a special Bethesda-deal... or do you really have a cheap hardware seller over there that should go international :p ?

http://newegg.com

They had a deal on an eVGA 7800 256mbit card that you get a free mobo. I needed a PCI-E mobo, anyway. So I got the package and a CLAWHAMMER AMD Athlon processor.

Not top-of-the-line stuff, but it can run most games on top specs with no little noticeable slowdown.

Anyway, back to the card at hand. Haven't played with it yet, but my response to any new card is "don't believe the hype." Until anandtech.com and a slew of other sites release their reviews, and enough user reviews from people who have actually used the card post theirs.

Plus, you're a sucker if you buy a new card when it comes out.

I was just wondering what's the price range of the nVidia 7800GTX in the US or the UK?

It'll drop when the next model comes out, in a couple of months.

Don't buy anything less than a 6800GS now, lest it is not good enough to keep pace with technology required for latest games.

Scarily, one of the reviews said that even the X1900XTX (650MHz) 512MB DDR3 (1.55GHz, effective), (retail

Edited by metadigital

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Does anyone need a card that powerful yet for just gaming purposes?

Not that I know what all those technical specs mean but I'm sure its saying, it's pretty powerful.

Heres hoping everything is a lot cheaper late this year, when I plan to build a new computer.

Need? No.

Want? Yes.

I plan to build a machine that has the ability to display 1600 x 1200 native. A card that can manipulate a screen that big, with all the anti-aliasing and anisotrophic filtering, and the new Shader Model 4 due out with DirectX 10 (apparently to be shipped with Vista) ...

This X1900XTX can power two Dell 30" LCD monitors at 2560x1600 pixels. Stick that in your single 1280x800 pipe and smoke it, Xbox 360! ^_^

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Does anyone need a card that powerful yet for just gaming purposes?

Not that I know what all those technical specs mean but I'm sure its saying, it's pretty powerful.

Heres hoping everything is a lot cheaper late this year, when I plan to build a new computer.

No. Remember: NEVER buy the latest video-card. You won't need it and the price is extremely high to get the cost out.

And it will be cheaper later... when they launch the next series, or Nvidia answers... it always happens.

Yes but the problem with ATI was their drivers, seeing as they are constantly breaking older games with each driver release. After a couple of years of ATI I swore that I'd never go back until they started doing decent driver testing rather than pumping out updates every month for PR's sake like they do at present.