roshan

Naturally I recognized the dude so I knew he was bad, but the way he was talking and trying to make "smalltalk" came off entirely wrong. Depending on the family history, it seemed quite reasonable that he should not trust his brother.

Despite it's flaws I really enjoy 24.

I'd have to say that the cheesiest moment in the series so far was the wife getting amnesia in the first season. I have a laundry list of why this part was so lame.

1. The car rolls down the hill... and explodes. It wasn't very steep and cars don't just fricken' explode cause they fall a few feat!

2. The mother doesn't bother checking to see if something actually happened before fainting. If something terrible happened to a family member but I haven't quite seen it yet I save the fainting until I actually see the horrible result of the event. It would have been much more appropriate for a faint if she found kims charred remains and then hit the dirt.

3. Kim somehow jumps out, bumps her head and faints for just the right amount of time for mom to wake up and be kidnapped. Kim also suffers no apparent cuncussion or other head problems.

4. The mother gets AMNESIA! Extremly rare condition.

I have yet to see anything in 24 that has reached the implausible stupidity of this scene. Yeah, season 5 has had a few cheesy moments in the show. I have no idea why they never shut down the ventilation system to prevent the spread of virus' and gases. They always wait until the hazardous gaseous chemical or what not is circulating in the vents before somebody says, "Hey! Maybe we should shut down the ventilation!" That should be the FIRST thing you numb nuts do! :shifty:

Even with a few implausible moments now and then the show really keeps you on end and I've bought every season on DVD so far and I haven't regretted any season yet.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Those seem so long ago... get with the present man! Its all about biting necks, shooting black guys and torturing siblings.

Actually one silly thing I noticed this season is when Dr Bashir is riding in the car with that other terrorist guy and the other guy doesn't recognise Bashir even though he is supposed to be some kind of super terrorist leader.

Edited by Surreptishus

2. The mother doesn't bother checking to see if something actually happened before fainting. If something terrible happened to a family member but I haven't quite seen it yet I save the fainting until I actually see the horrible result of the event. It would have been much more appropriate for a faint if she found kims charred remains and then hit the dirt

I'm sure you would.

I'm getting a little tired of them killing off characters left and right all the time. While it's refreshing that they aren't afraid to do it, a little of that goes a long way.

They killed Curtis!! Grrrr.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think the

killing of Curits

was a lead in to help take people off their guard when

the nuke went off

It's almost a given that something big will happen in an episode, and I think they tried to get people by making

Curtis

be that big thing. It fooled me.

I mention season 1 because I became somewhat addicted to the show a few months ago and purchased all the DVD sets within a 3 month period so season 1 is still fresh in my mind, even if it is ancient history for those that have watched the show on TV from the start.

As for the fainting thing, yes, I would (and I hope most people would) rush down to see if the daughter could be rescued. She just stands there and plops on the ground. Maybe she got out... maybe she needs help. It was just a completly cheesy scene all around and the fainting didn't help at all. I'd think the adrenaline of your child in danger would keep you up, it would only be if you discovered a horrible outcome that you would clonk out. The whole thing was just a low point in the series for me. The positive of it is that I'm more apt to overlook other cheesy parts in the show, especially considering I've yet to see anything I consider more cheesy.

Either way the show keeps you on the edge of your seat and it is hard to stop watching it once you get started.

It's kind of hard to actually have to watch the show as a show now with season 6. I'm so used to spending a weekend on the couch watching 4-8 episodes or more at once.

I did manage to get the first 4 episodes of season 6 on a DVD disk. I think I'm just going to ignore the show on TV until the whole 6 is out on DVD.

As for the fainting thing, yes, I would (and I hope most people would) rush down to see if the daughter could be rescued. She just stands there and plops on the ground. Maybe she got out... maybe she needs help. It was just a completly cheesy scene all around and the fainting didn't help at all. I'd think the adrenaline of your child in danger would keep you up, it would only be if you discovered a horrible outcome that you would clonk out. The whole thing was just a low point in the series for me. The positive of it is that I'm more apt to overlook other cheesy parts in the show, especially considering I've yet to see anything I consider more cheesy.

The thing is, is that you're using the term "I think" an awful lot.

A glorified redshirt.

Almost everyone but Jack is a redshirt, really. :aiee:" And maybe Chloe.

I watched the first 5 episodes of season6. I'm undecided about whether I'll wait for the DVD for this season...I usually do, but I admit it's been pretty nice to watch them in 1080HD. Upconverted 480-1080 isn't anywhere near the same. Commericals are always irritating tho, even w/fast-forward.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I used the word 'think' once, and I know if I were in a situation where a family member were in danger I'd try to help them. The panic, horror, fainting part comes when you realize you CAN'T help.

That was just one more problem with the stupid scene. Besides the stupidity of the car blowing up down the hill, she doesn't even bother to go down the hilliside to check and see if maybe the daughter A. managed to leap out or B. needs help in the car.

Either way if you want to question the cheesiness of one particular 'questionable' cheesy part in a string of cheesy events leading to amnesia, be my guest. Even if I were to be convinced that not checking to see if your daughter is injured first before passing out isn't an added cheesiness to a magic exploding car. it isn't going to make the scene any better.

The panic, horror, fainting part comes when you realize you CAN'T help.

That would certainly explain the deer in headlights look people get well before it's far too late.

It's easy to say what you would do, without being in that situation. Unless of course you actually have had a child of yours in a life or death situation.

As for cars blowing up, yes they are cheesy. Unfortunately, they've been cheesy for 60 years now.

'Most' parents react quickly when their child is in danger. This stupid car explosion/amnesia scene is so far beyond 'what would you do if you saw your daughter slide down a not-so-steep hill and the car blows up' dilemma. I have no idea how she could have NOT seen Kim jump/fall out of the car, let alone forget to put the parking break on, faint without even bother checking the wreckage/SIMPLY LOOK DOWN THE HILL WHICH SHE HAD A PERFECT VANTAGE POINT OF etc. etc.

This is such a ridiculous argument when talking about this specific event. It is a hypothetical, what if the laws of physics and reality ceased for a moment event.

Mother being chased by assassin fools assassin by driving down road, parking on an incline, doesn't bother to leave hand break on and for some reason decides to WALK up to the main road to see if he drove by (incredibly, insanely stupid idea) then sees car roll down hill and explode for no reason with the daughter some how falling/jumping out and banging her head just hard enough to knock her out, but not cause any permanent damage conveniently long enough so her mother passes out at the sight of an explosion, giving her amnesia and on and on.

Yeah, I suppose it isn't all that cheesy to faint after seeing the car roll down a hill and magicly explode after she forgot to put the parking break on and decided to go have a peak when it would have been 100% more safe to just stay in the car. :)

The thing is, I've seen parents faint without first checking on their child if they think their child is already dead.

I guess it wasn't technically a faint, but my father froze up after seeing my brother's accident. The whole situation was just surreal and it was more just a stare of disbelief/horror at what just happened.

Edited by alanschu

• 2 weeks later...

The problem as I see it is they've turned 24 into an 'action' series rather than a 'character+action' series.

It's still entertaining - just not as compelling.

Heh, the latest episode was largely predictable. Except for the bit right at the end and the confession. Wayne Palmer is unconvincing as president. The Palmer sister is too "ghetto" to be a president's sister. Powers Boothe is such an obvious bad guy its funny.

Sure, this show relies on some cliched dialogue and the twists may be formulaic but I think those are small complaints in the overall picture.

I agree about Wayne Palmer. I suppose they may have wanted to show a President that wasn't a towering inferno of stoic righteousness and strength (or "evil"), but as before...just not very compelling.

The difference between the 1st and 2nd seasons and the ones after are quite stark, imo.

Not to mention...just how many 'worst days of his life' can Jack have? I keep thinking they'll eventually try to groom a new agent to take his place - I remember thinking that's what they originally intended w/Kim's CTU boyfriend that one season but got rid of him when people didn't like him...and of course, I wonder if the series would survive w/out Jack as the main man. Probably not.... :lol:

I haven't seen anything past the first 4 episodes of season 6, whcih came out on a dvd. I just can't catch the show on it's standard air time and I hate watching TV shows on... TV. Hopefully they will continue to release season 6 on DVD as it goes along.

24 has really had some ups and downs. Every season has had some great moments and some lame things. Season 1 and the mother's amnesia. Season 2 and Kim CONSTANTLY getting into ridiculous trouble. OMG a mountain lion! :yucky:

I don't think any of the following seasons have reached the goofiness that the first two had. Really, Season 2 started to feel like a comedy act. Oh golly, what is that crazy Kim going to get into this week? >_<

But you'll keep watching no doubt.

Only because I have too much free time!

The problem as I see it is they've turned 24 into an 'action' series rather than a 'character+action' series.

It's still entertaining - just not as compelling.

I agree.

Heh, the latest episode was largely predictable. Except for the bit right at the end and the confession. Wayne Palmer is unconvincing as president. The Palmer sister is too "ghetto" to be a president's sister. Powers Boothe is such an obvious bad guy its funny.

Sure, this show relies on some cliched dialogue and the twists may be formulaic but I think those are small complaints in the overall picture.

Wayne Palmer is too tall, thin and young to look presidential. He looks more like a basketball star. And his sister is really irritating, I agree with the ghetto comment! I dont think the cliched dialogue and characters is a small complaint though. Its been 6 seasons and they havent been able to come up with anything new, just the same things repeated over and over again except everytime it is repeated it is done worse than before.

I agree about Wayne Palmer. I suppose they may have wanted to show a President that wasn't a towering inferno of stoic righteousness and strength (or "evil"), but as before...just not very compelling.

The difference between the 1st and 2nd seasons and the ones after are quite stark, imo.

Not to mention...just how many 'worst days of his life' can Jack have? I keep thinking they'll eventually try to groom a new agent to take his place - I remember thinking that's what they originally intended w/Kim's CTU boyfriend that one season but got rid of him when people didn't like him...and of course, I wonder if the series would survive w/out Jack as the main man. Probably not.... :thumbsup:

I dont think anyone who didnt have a strong and charismatic personality and a good amount of street smartness and political guile could become the president. Wayne Palmer doesnt have any of these qualities.

Id like to see a realistic president for once, not the stereotypical good president, evil president or useless president. Someone who makes realistic decisions based on the need of the hour(heh), on whats practical etc rather than based on moral principles or the lack thereof. Id like to see more of the political side of being the president as well. IMO a character similar to Sherry Palmer(except not as self centered and evil) would have been a much better choice for President than Wayne. Shes actually smart and has a keen understanding of politics and thus would have made a convincing president. Whatever happened to her anyway?

I think Jack as a character hasnt been developed since the first season - since the third he has just become a generic, cookie cutter action hero. I mean, with all the times he has saved America, and with all his exposure during the setups in season 1 and 5(?), I think by now, hed be quite well known and recognized. He also doesnt seem to have any personality or character flaws that would make him more realistic and believable. Instead of seeing any real change in Jacks character over time(aside from becoming more of a stereotypical patriotic hero), we are instead seeing a "Jacks problem of the season" type of scenario.

I like the show enough that it isn't good enough unless it is on high quality dvd and I like watching the show a few episodes at a time. I hate having to wait a week and it is just easier and more convenient to wait for it on DVD.

HDTV rips which are pretty much DVD quality are available online.

I wish they hadn't killed of Nina Myers. She was my favorite characer and I loved the chemistry between Jack and her (Or lack of depending on your viewpoint). I wish they had kept her around as thorn in Jack's side. Its funny, as evil as she got I never hated her character and I always enjoyed it when she pulled off some plan.

Atleast she went out kicking ass :lol: . Then stupid jack had to shoot her. :sad: