roshan

Sorry for reviving this topic, but is it just me, or has 24 become a complete snuff-show?

I mean, people have been dropping like flies - 3 major characters dead in two episodes. That's pretty grim.

First Edgar died at the end of last week's episode. Okay. But then Lynn was killed by the plot as well. I can accept that, but then they had to end the episode with Tony's death as well!!! He's one of the few left from the early days of the show. If they really want to kill a major character from long ago, then why didn't they kill Kim - I don't think I know anyone who likes her... But watching Tony die bites.

I agree! I was very saddened. I was also thinking of reviving the thread myself :)

I predict Kim has troubles getting out of town, and ends up dying too. The main reason why I don't want Kim to die though, is because I feel bad enough for Jack. The dude may be badass, but he's had a crap life. Kim is one of the few things that keeps him going

I've never seen it. Not even a single episode.

Might take a look at the game though it's out on friday for rental.

Fair warning - you have to watch an entire season at a time. Each season is one continued story all the way through, and though there are recaps at the beginning of each "hour", I don't think they do much to explain the plots, which are frequently rather complex and extensive. The seasons also build heavily on previous events, so it's best to start at the beginning, though I actually counts seasons 2 and 3 as better than the first.

I agree!  I was very saddened.  I was also thinking of reviving the thread myself :cat:

I predict Kim has troubles getting out of town, and ends up dying too.  The main reason why I don't want Kim to die though, is because I feel bad enough for Jack.  The dude may be badass, but he's had a crap life.  Kim is one of the few things that keeps him going

Actually, I agree with that...

As much as I dislike Kim, killing her right now would drive Jack over the edge. I mean, it would *have* to drive him over the edge, or the show would lose any and all sort of plausibility. Tony's death was clearly quite a strain already, since Tony is one of the very few people Jack considered a friend. His death was actually quite moving, though not because of Carlos Bernard. Not that I would call him a bad actor, but he hasn't shown top-notch acting so far in my book. But seeing Kiefer completely lose without making it too much of a sob-fest as he held onto his dying friend was really heart-breaking. No wonder they throw emmies all over this guy...

Season 3 loses the plot... literally. I think concensus (however useful or worthless that may be) is that 3 and 4 were not as good as the first two seasons. Ratings reflected that for the third season.

Despite some flaws it is still compelling tv.

Well, I guess I'm just going to be really contrary and not care what consensus says :cat:

Season 3 may have started out slow, but once the virus began breaking out, the plot really picked up and resulted in some episodes I consider to be among the most dramatic on the show.

Not sure why, but season 4 wasn't quite as unnerving to me, perhaps because I found the whole nuclear overrride plot a bit stretched. What, they can't manually control their nuclear reactors? Give me a break... I also didn't like that the "trial" of the secretary of defense was just a front for a bigger plot. Yeah, right...

Aw, I guess I'll just have to admit that it was difficult seeing Arnold Vasloo as a villain other than the Mummy... :huh:

Well, I guess I'm just going to be really contrary and not care what consensus says  :cat:

Season 3 may have started out slow, but once the virus began breaking out, the plot really picked up and resulted in some episodes I consider to be among the most dramatic on the show.

Not sure why, but season 4 wasn't quite as unnerving to me, perhaps because I found the whole nuclear overrride plot a bit stretched. What, they can't manually control their nuclear reactors? Give me a break... I also didn't like that the "trial" of the secretary of defense was just a front for a bigger plot. Yeah, right...

Aw, I guess I'll just have to admit that it was difficult seeing Arnold Vasloo as a villain other than the Mummy...  :huh:

Season 3 was disjointed; it was two different and unconnected storylines just mashed together. The Palmer storyline was a seperate and weak thread. Didn't like Chase Edmonds... at all. The redeeming factors were the virus storyline and Kim's tight top... oh and the amputation :D

In season 4 the whole turkish family thing was boring. It would have been better if Vosloo used his Mummy powers. The end is good what with the crappy president at al.

Season 3 was disjointed; it was two different and unconnected storylines just mashed together. The Palmer storyline was a seperate and weak thread. Didn't like Chase Edmonds... at all. The redeeming factors were the virus storyline and Kim's tight top... oh and the amputation :D

Yeah, like I said, season 3 was slow early on. And you're right that some of the B-plots were a bit weak. I mean, if that's all they were going to do with the Palmer-plot, then they should just have cut it - Palmer had plenty on his plate even so. Didn't really dislike Chase. Didn't really like him either, though - I mean, he liked Kim, didn't he? :huh:

But the virus bit was top-notch - very dramatic. I guess that's why they've sort of returned to it in the new season...

In season 4 the whole turkish family thing was boring. It would have been better if Vosloo used his Mummy powers. The end is good what with the crappy president at al.

One thing that I really hated in season 4 was how the Araz-family was just casually killed off one by one without serving any particular purpose in the plot. And Behruz (sp?) wasn't so much killed as just forgotten - he was turned over to the terrorists, and then we just never see him again. What, did they kill him or where did he go?

The end was indeed a bucket of icewater right in our faces, though. Though it was pretty lame to suggest even for an instant that Jack was dead, when the whole thing was clearly staged, it was still rather shocking to see him being officially dead for all his efforts.

Even so, I found the beginning of season 5 even more shocking - even though Dennis Haysbert and Reiko Aylesworth were in there, they still brutally killed Palmer and Michelle in short order. I was particularly shocked by Michelle's abrupt death... That sucked. Never realized how much I really liked that character until that car bomb went off... :huh:

I miss the Palmer. One of my favourite characters, and the only person that could compete with the running "badass" totals that Jack acquires at a prolific rate.

Sure do like him better than Logan. I forsee a resignation in his near future. It seems he's finally realizing he's not that great at leading the country in a crisis. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the previous season, as he was tossed into it.

The season 5 opener was the first episode of 24 I watched, ever. My initial thoughts were "a black president, wtf? who are these people that are dying? :huh: Jack Bauer is awesome :huh:"

Watching the first 4 seasons makes me appreciate their deaths -

tony's death was quite poignant... but I don't think he is dead, at least not yet.

EDIT: I think logan's term is close to an end, if i have the timing right.

Edited by Surreptishus

Speaking of the show's tone, does anyone think 24's mood has been heavily influenced by the fact that we live in a post-9/11 world?

I mean, season one was actually fairly undramatic or harsh compared to some of the stuff we've seen since. The most horrible thing was doubtlessly Teri's death, and that was caused by the fact that it was suddenly decided that the characters would return (it was orignally intended that there would be new characters every year... until Kiefer won an Emmy, that is :huh: )

But we've seen some pretty nasty things since then. Jack actually died in season two, and Mason eradiated so much he could have been a christmas tree, if he had lived more than a few hours more.

In the third season several people were brutally murdered by the virus, and Jack had to play russian roulette and later amputate Chase's hand. He also brutally murdered Nina out of pure cold vengeance, when she no longer served a purpose to him. But the worst was Jack having to perform an execution on Chapelle, because the terrorists demanded it. Nasty!

In the fourth season, we didn't actually see so many horrible deaths among the crew. Then again, most of them were all new, so we were not so attached them them, though I really thought they would kill off Chloe at one poitn. The really grim part was when Jack killed Paul to save the life of a terrorist, so he could extract information from him. Paul was a total innocent in the whole thing, and was wounded in the first place for taking a bullit for Jack. Some gratitude...

Now, this is a lot different from the first season, isn't it? I don't think we'd have seen scenes like the deaths of Paul Raines or Chapelle in a pre-9/11 world, but somehow it's okay now that the tone of even tv-shows is much harsher than before.

I think 24 is a prime example of that and it is even visible if we compare the first season with all those that followed.

I didn't realize the first season was before 9/11.  But I guess it is.

I saw it right when season 3 was starting.

Season one began the fall of 2001. I don't recall if it was before or after 9/11, but obviously many episodes had already been shot by then, and the plot was pretty fixed already.

The first season was much more of a personal vendetta and political intrigue plot than the mass attacks on Los Angeles of the subsequent seasons, and the fact that this was all after 9/11 could be a motive for that. Season 2 was also notably harsher in its tone, when you consider how Sayed Ali tortured Kate Warner, how Jack later appeared to have killed Ali's family to extort him, and how Jack actually died at one point.

With all the people being killed on the show these days, I'd sort of wish that season 6 was set anywhere else but CTU in Los Angeles...

Watching the first 4 seasons makes me appreciate their deaths -

tony's death was quite poignant... but I don't think he is dead, at least not yet.

Well...

According to the website, Tony did indeed die. Note the poll asking "did you feel as Jack about Tony's death?" on the front page and the description of the episode in the guide:

"Jack enters the clinic and finds Tony and Burke on the ground. Gasping his last breath of life, Tony tells Jack that he couldn

I revised my thoughts on

tony's demise :o i saw the official site yesterday with the big DECEASED sign across his picture. I guess IMDB was just hiding a spoiler

Yeah, I know how you feel...

When I saw the end of that episode, I really went, "did we just lose Tony..? DID WE JUST LOSE TONY!?!?!"... :(

Ooooo, the plot thickens.

I don't think she did it, but someone used her name!

Talking about Audrey being the leak that gave the schematics to the information broker (who was freaking hot if I say so myself)

24 teaches us to beware of sexy women... they all have terrorist connections.

Did you see the preview for the next episode alan?

jack falls for yet another traitor?? no way, its been done. maybe her dad is setting her up? we will know for sure if it turns out the sexy info broker did a face to face deal with audrey. It looks like yet another usurping the presidency plot...

On a slightly unrelated note I think there should be a poll on which brat pack member will guest star next on 24.

Edited by Surreptishus