Cure for AIDS within the decade?

metadigital

Where have you heard about a reduction in condom use recently?

And wouldn't condom use have actually been "popular" before the 1960s in order for it to be reduced in the 1960s?

Newspapers, television. Big headlines about how many of the teenagers don't think it is needed and many infections are reported...

And "popular" wouldn't be a need... just a far larger use...

I see little indication that the usage of condoms was in any way more widespread prior to the 1960s.

And just as you read your big headlines that kids think they aren't necessary, I can also find some that have kids increasingly adhering to abstinence, and supporting safe sex.

I mean, if we just go by the media, we'd think that murders were the most common type of crime out there.

Source

Through conversations with hospital patients, wives and mothers, partygoers and sex workers, Samura uncovers the shocking truth behind the rate of infection among the young.

He discovers recklessness towards knowingly infecting sexual partners, a disdain for using condoms for personal protection, and a reluctance to educate offspring about safe sexual relations

UNAids and the WHO no longer talk of a single African epidemic but of highly varied outbreaks across the continent. Starting in the late 1970s and early 1980s, HIV spread in a band from West Africa across to the Indian Ocean, before moving to the southern countries where its grip is now strongest.

Source

In Japan, one of the world's wealthiest societies, awareness of the risks posed by the disease is almost non-existent among many young people, and yet their sexual behaviour is increasingly risky.

Source

Serj Horoshikh is one of 20,000 people living with HIV in Moscow alone.

He got infected 10 years ago, aged 18.

He told me he had been injecting drugs at the time.

"There was zero information. Aids was just an abbreviation, it didn't mean anything," he said.

"All people of my generation who were injecting drugs got infected. No one escaped."

For people like Serj, there was little help from the authorities, who were in virtual denial that Aids could exist in Russia.

Source

Edited by BattleCookiee

No, I don't think you get it, they're mother and daughter and best friends!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Err, I guess I should make it clear that I was never really talking about Africa.

The spread of the disease has always been exceptional over there. And besides, a disdain for using condoms for personal protection is not an indication that condom use is less prevalent, nor is a fast spread.

All you've basically done is indicate that the AIDS epidemic is a big deal in Africa.

There are too many of us anyway. I say let AIDS spread, do the damage and maybe for once humans will evolve to something stronger from the survivors.

There are already some (women) immune to HIV, who have no symptoms despite being infected with eight or nine different strains.

Too bad the chance for you being likewise immune is minute. So goodbye astr0creep!

Are you referring to those african prostitutes? I thought that they were a hoax due to the the tests not being trustworthy or something.

Nope, they are real enough (not that I've done the blood tests, but I saw it on a reliable tv doco; also it is statistically believable). They are currently in the middle of a long-term study ... you can appreciate the pot of gold at the end of that rainbow. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No numbers, but here in Montreal, there's been a recent significant increase in STIs, particularly chlamydia, and especially in teenagers. Basic patient information is fairly limited, and there seems to be a misconception that AIDS isn't a problem anymore. The trend has coincided pretty much to around 1997 (IIRC) or so, when HAART/triple ****tail therapy for HIV came up. Ever since the appearance of a 'treatment', HIV/AIDS isn't really perceived as a real problem anymore. Condoms just become an annoyance.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The Russian article doesn't mention condoms at all.

Thats because they don't use them so much, they have completely forgotten about them!

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

All you've basically done is indicate that the AIDS epidemic is a big deal in Africa.

Look at the latest edits

Russia and Japan are not in Africa...

EDIT;

And HERE to see that it also happens in my own country. Altough you probably cannot read it...

All your edits indicate is that people are, on the whole, uneducated about AIDS and STD transmissions. A quick read mentions that people in Russian and Japan never knew better, and didn't understand the disease. I didn't see anything about how they suddenly decided that condoms were no longer necessary (it's funny, because your Russian quote was actually about a contraction via sharing a needle, so I'm not sure how this came into a discussion about the prevalence of condoms), and that is why transmission rates are improving.

Llyranor's post is the first one that actually makes an indication that condom use is on the decline...not yours.

Which is probably because you cannot read the text in the link. It was the best source, but since it was non-english I had to seek lesser English sources.

Anyway, I could translate it, but I rather let another Dutchie do it, because I just KNOW dozens of people are going to accuse me of editing the text to my own good if I give an exact translation...

We would never do that...

Quick google search

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...s_name=&no_ads=

"Rates of sexually transmitted infections in Canada have increased so much from 1997 to 2004 that experts are calling the phenomenon a "hidden epidemic" and demanding a national strategy."

"Doctors believe the rate of infections is increasing because young people are engaging in more unprotected sex. They also have the misconception that oral sex is safe"

Like I said, HAART was introduced in 1997, and AIDS - the deadly killer - hasn''t a problem anymore since then, or so the public perceives it. That association is what I've been taught, anyway.

In any case, this is pretty much a very real public health issue and and a real problem in clinical practice.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Which is probably because you cannot read the text in the link. It was the best source, but since it was non-english I had to seek lesser English sources.

Anyway, I could translate it, but I rather let another Dutchie do it, because I just KNOW dozens of people are going to accuse me of editing the text to my own good if I give an exact translation...

All I could find was a single statement that people are having unsafe sex.

It's not too hard to find the contrary:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4222491

Look at this, condom sales skyrocketting. I guess they're for decoration

http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/Network/v18_3/NW183ch6.htm

You can't just take what the media says at face value. Especially if it's just an assertion with little backing such as in your Dutch quote.

EDIT: Points of Llyranor.

Edited by alanschu

You can't just take what the media says at face value.  Especially if it's just an assertion with little backing such as in your Dutch quote.

Lol, it was actually a report of a GOVERNMENT reaserch into the HIV and STD spread in Holland. And it mentioned a heavy increase (Nov. 2005) due to reduced condom use, especially with the younger folks... "assertion with little backing" :thumbsup: ...

But as said... Translation would probably give major "You altered it!!!11!!" messages, so I hope an other Dutchie can help out, or somebody knows an Dutch-to-English page translator...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Ok, so it's increasing in the Netherlands.

Though the translator I tried on it didn't mention what you spoke about.....perhaps it just sucks.

Though the US CDC notes an increase in condom use. So who's right? My initial assertion that you can't take things at face value still stands.

Ok, so it's increasing in the Netherlands.

Though the translator I tried on it didn't mention what you spoke about.....perhaps it just sucks.

Though the US CDC notes an increase in condom use.  So who's right?  My initial assertion that you can't take things at face value still stands.

Seeing my link is end 2005 and yours from 2004... But ofcourse both recorded in seperate countries too...

Kinda hard to tell with just that...

EDIT; Agree the translator is pretty sucky, but you should be able to get things like quadruppled infection of STD's and Realm's Institude of Health etc.

:o

The belgians can make some pretty funny commercials...

Edited by BattleCookiee