New Oblivion Interview

Llyranor

So... it's a first -person Diablo? With average AI?

sounds like it... yuck.

For shame! it sounds good.

Not really.

Maybe if the AI was still hyper "intelligent"... but not the dumb see and chase kind. (speculation, so no one tweak out on me)

Diablo is fun, as it's 3rd person. I first person game might not be as fun.

Had to do this...so unoriginal and overused...but, why not?

Gabs, if it has anything resembling Diablo gameplay it is going to rock.  Diablo is one of the best games ever made.

Fixed. :thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Maybe Bethesda were worried that the promises of better stories and characters in Oblivion was scaring away people who only like combat: 'Please buy our game, it's just like Dungeon Siege 2, honest!'.

I still have my doubts about Radiant AI - I'd guess their QA department is finding lots of unforeseen problems and forcing a last-minute scaling down.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I have played Diablo.  I just don't see it has fun.  You constant click on endless enemies and get uber crap so that you can just click on more enemies.  There is no story, no depth, nothing that makes a game worth playing.  Its all so repetivie.

Make me understand, how is this good?  I just do not see it.

Making you understand would be like squeezing blood from a turnip. Not gonna happen. :wacko:

Then say so with your own posts and not this fixed bullshat.

My chewy center weeps... :'(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I have played Diablo.  I just don't see it has fun.  You constant click on endless enemies and get uber crap so that you can just click on more enemies.  There is no story, no depth, nothing that makes a game worth playing.  Its all so repetivie.

Make me understand, how is this good?  I just do not see it.

Diablo can be a fun game. As a graphical update on standard roguelike gameplay, it's very solid entertainment with quite a bit of challenge in combat and satisfying character customization, although ocasionally it isn't as deep as some other roguelikes like ADOM. You seem to be trying to compare it to a traditional CRPG, but then again it's not meant to. If you ever enjoyed roguelikes or dungeon crawlers, you'll see some of the features that made those genres entertaining in Diablo. If you didn't, move on.

Oh, yes Lonewolf add to the stupidity.  :wacko:

More and more I think that gamers around here are getting more idiotic.

#1: I already said it was stupid...just felt obligated to do it for some odd reason.

#2: My opinion on the game is no better or worse than yours. If you can't refrain from resorting to generalized insults...then, well, don't say anything at all.

An opinion opposing yours is not automatically stupid. If you see it that way, then I pity you.

- Everlast

Also an opposing opinion isn't stupid, but how it is presented can be.  It doesn't matter to me if you already admitted it was stupid or not you still used it, Lonewolf.  Since you did admit that it was stupid to present it that way you simply admitted that you are in fact stupid since you used it.

No, that was a bad decision on my part. Then again, I didn't realize it'd receive such blatant...for lack of a better word..."asshattery".

For some silly reason, I thought you could understand the distinction between the good-natured use of an obviously overused and annoying "argumentative tool" and an actual attempt at real debate.

Had I intended to really argue the damned thing, I would have taken the time to write my own post. I reacted to a dumb statement with an even dumber reply.

My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Sounds good. I hate when the AI becomes too smart, as it can abuse the information it gathers from having access to the programs's database. I loved Gothic's AI because it was able to make mistakes sometimes (like falling off of a cliff while hunting you) and stuff like that and that's how I interpret this newsbit. They're not making it dumber, they're making it more human.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sounds good. I hate when the AI becomes too smart, as it can abuse the information it gathers from having access to the programs's database. I loved Gothic's AI because it was able to make mistakes sometimes (like falling off of a cliff while hunting you) and stuff like that and that's how I interpret this newsbit. They're not making it dumber, they're making it more human.

I hope you're right, THAT would rock :blink:

Hmm.. I may have to track down Gothic now.. I like the sound of that kind of AI.

Also an opposing opinion isn't stupid, but how it is presented can be.

:blink:"

To nitpick a "Fixed" quote is just being bitter. And reflective of not having anything else to really say.

It probably stems more from the fact that you like to regurgitate said opinion of the game, even though we're beyond caring. If you didn't feel compelled to make yourself noticed by posting something like you did, you wouldn't have had to endure LoneWolf's post.

Edited by alanschu

You guys are just awful the way you bash everything Bethesda. :blink:

Its ridiculous, but it cracks me up.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Also, mkreku, are you sure that that isn't just bad pathfinding? (MW enemies do it too, and they are not so clever)

I still have this idea of one NPC shoving another, it develops into a brawl, the guards get involved, pretty much the whole town joins in, they all kill each other, and the PC walks into town for the first time to find the bodies lying around and no explanation of what happened. :wacko:

"Howard: I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber"

My guess is that the QA people are finding the free will of the NPCs is throwing up odd situations, not as severe as above, but game-threatening or bug-like, and that as they continue making modifications to the AI the number of these oddities is not decreasing. I wouldn't be surprised to find the finished product with much less NPC freedom than was initially suggested.

Who's bashing Bethesda? No-one around here, I'm sure. :unsure:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Also an opposing opinion isn't stupid, but how it is presented can be.

:unsure:"

To nitpick a "Fixed" quote is just being bitter. And reflective of not having anything else to really say.

I dunno, Hades tends to get "Fixed" more than most people, so I can understand why he might be getting tired of it.