NHL

Fionavar

Belfour's been crap more often than not this year. He's not the same money goalie he was before a)age caught up to him and b)his back woes caught up to him.

Anyone who thinks Belfour's crappy stats this year are solely the result of the defense in front of him (it does stink, but then again so does Florida's, but look at Luongo's stats) is seeing Belfour through rose colored glasses.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It looks like Tellquist will get a rare start for the Leafs. Tonight we'll see if the Leafs can turn it around with the help of another goalie. Nothing seems to be decided yet, but I really hope Quinn gives the chance to Tellquist. He has earned it and he has earned a chance to try to make an impact as one of the starting goalies in the NHL. Personally I think Quinn is way too lenient with his veterans. I mean, Sundin really should get a kick in the butt (not in the last game, but a long period before that game) and benching him for a period or two would probably have sent a clear message. Same with Allison early in the season.

Oh well, tonite's the nite, we're gonna make it happen! Lalalala!

Edit: Found this about Belfour:

"Belfour is not the root cause of a seven-game losing streak, but neither is he stealing the wins he once did, at least for this mistake-prone, injury-plagued version of the Leafs."

Sourcer: http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...415536-sun.html

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't think you should be too hard on Sundin. His performance has been brutal, but I have it on good authority that his eye injury is still a major problem for him and that his vision is probably closer to about 50% than 100% in that eye still.

I believe Tellqvist is ready to be the number one, but I don't think it will happen as long as they have Eddie and his ridiculous $4.6 million contract on the books. Ownership simply wouldn't allow them to sit that much money on the bench.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well with Khabibulin out for atleast another week, Munro has played pretty well. Unfortantly its just not that hard to beat the 'Hawk even when they get good netminding.

:devil:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Carolina retired Ronny Franchises' jersey tonight. His ceremony was a third of the length of Mark Messiers'. Then Francis, with his two young sons in tow, skated a lap around the ice. Somebodeh get me a tissue!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Carolina retired Ronny Franchises' jersey tonight.  His ceremony was a third of the length of Mark Messiers'.  Then Francis, with his two young sons in tow, skated a lap around the ice.  Somebodeh get me a tissue!

I think Francis is probably the most under-rated player of our generation. Many might say that he was just lucky to play with Lemieux for so many years, but what he did in Carolina showed that he was truly a great player. He did for the Hurricanes what Gretzky did for the Kings.

Well the video review is in. With seven tenths of a second left, Chris Pronger has tied the game and pushed the Oil into overtime.

This has been a slow weekend for hockey, wouldn't you say? Two games Friday, three on Sunday, you get the picture.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

And as if St.Louis couldn't suck any more, they just traded Omega level centre Doug Weight to Carolina. Yesterday Mike Sillinger was unloaded on the Predators.

I feel sorry for Taks.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yeah, even a Leafs fan has to feel sorry for all the Blues fans out there.

Did anyone hear about a goal by Robert Nilsson in the AHL a few days ago? Apparently he did some sort of stick trick and scored from behind the goal in some odd way. The problem is that I can't get the link I have to work. I'll post it anyhow, maybe someone else will be more lucky than me.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/media/nilsson.wmv

"In Toronto, meanwhile, the sharp knives are once again out for coach Pat Quinn. The veteran has seen his team fall through the Eastern Conference standings, thanks to a combination of dreadful goaltending by Ed Belfour, shoddy defense, a lack of production from captain Mats Sundin and a host of injuries to key players, including team MVP Bryan McCabe and leading goal scorer Darcy Tucker. The Leafs' 4-3 overtime loss to Montreal at home on Saturday night was their eighth in a row, the longest in Quinn's tenure in Toronto."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2308925

Woohoo, I am not alone in my analysis of the flaws in the Leafs :()

WE GOT A WIN!! TAKE THAT, FLORIDA PANTHERS!!

Belfour was back to his cup winning form (and outdueled Luongo!), the defense took a lot of unnecessary penalties (as usual) but this time they didn't all result in a goal, and the captain himself had three helpers and has actually played two good games in a row!

Now, if only Sundin could find the net again, Belfour could become consistantly good and the defense could stop taking all those stupid penalties, I am sure this sinking ship could be salvaged!

OH, THE SWEET TASTE OF VICTORY! AND IT WAS ON THE ROAD TOO!!

Ps. Sorry about the dreaded triple post..

Been a while in this thread, so here comes a long one. Hopefully I don't run out of quote tags.

Why do you even bother to write all that crap when we both think he's struggling? Are you on your period or something? Every thread I read you're getting your knickers in a knot over something totally worthless.

You were the one that felt you should bring the topic back up. Your opinion is that Belfour just plain sucks. You then you incorrect facts (such as Kolzig) to help back things up. You then go and say stuff like "GAA is a good goalie stat" and how "Shots against mean nothing because the goalie has no control over it" If a team is poor defensively, then that will hurt their their GAA.

You can blame the team all you want (it only tells me lots about your hockey knowledge) but Belfour isn't a dependable goalie anymore. He wasn't in the last playoffs and he sure as hell isn't one now. His stats says it all, no matter how much you twist and slither around them.

Hey, I'm the one with the "privledge" of watching the Leafs every Saturday. They are a crap team, and I am totally hoping for them to not make the playoffs since I hate dealing with Leafs fans and their shock that they were eliminated from the playoffs and somehow didn't win the Stanley Cup. The only reason why Toronto made it past the Senators last season is because of Belfour. But you continue to chastize him for a bad game in Philly, which came as a result of players like Bryan McCabe giving the puck up to Mark Recchi for breakaways, and an overall pisspoor performance by the Leafs. Is it the goalie's fault they let people deke them out of their shorts and split through them like it's nothing? Seriously, go watch that game again...and especially watch the Ottawa series. Yes Belfour is no longer the uber goalie that he once was...but he's still been able to pull the Leafs out for some wins this season. I guess stopping 49 shots in a winning effort isn't stealing a game in your book though. Don't go accusing me of my hockey knowledge when you're still blaming the blow out against Philly on Belfour. When your team decides to make tape to tape passes to talented offensive players on the other team for breakaways, the goalie is in for a long night.

If you want to talk bad goalies though, look no further than Edmonton. My team's goalies have a marginally better GAA, but that's not because of the goalie. It's because Edmonton limits the opponents to few shots on goal (2nd in the league in that regard last I heard). As bad as you think your goaltending is in Toronto, at least you don't have to watch your team set records for the number of times they've pulled their goalie this year.

Anyone who thinks Belfour's crappy stats this year are solely the result of the defense in front of him (it does stink, but then again so does Florida's, but look at Luongo's stats) is seeing Belfour through rose colored glasses.

I'll be the first to say Luongo is better than Belfour. IMO he's the best goalie in the league, and should have been Vezina winner in 2003-2004. Anybody who watched any Florida game would have realized that the only reason they ever had a chance of winning any game was because of Luongo. How many other goalies in front of crap teams have impressive stats? Luongo (and probably Brodeur...but he got off to a slow start too) is in another world. Any team would love to have him.

If people were expecting Belfour to be as good as Luongo, then that is their problem.

To be fair, you are correct that it's not just the team in front. And I agree with Mkreku that Quinn should play Tellqvist more, if for no other reason than Belfour is old and isn't going to have the stamina to play 60 games plus playoffs heh at a high calibre of play.

Carolina retired Ronny Franchises' jersey tonight. His ceremony was a third of the length of Mark Messiers'. Then Francis, with his two young sons in tow, skated a lap around the ice. Somebodeh get me a tissue!

Yeah, the pictures were pretty funny with the team skating in all #10 Francis. I believe Edmonton did the same thing for Coffey.

Well the video review is in. With seven tenths of a second left, Chris Pronger has tied the game and pushed the Oil into overtime.

Hell yeah! Prongs has been playing excellent offensively as of late. Though it sucks that when we get wins, teams like Colorado, Vancouver, and Calgary get OT wins against each other >.<

"In Toronto, meanwhile, the sharp knives are once again out for coach Pat Quinn. The veteran has seen his team fall through the Eastern Conference standings, thanks to a combination of dreadful goaltending by Ed Belfour, shoddy defense, a lack of production from captain Mats Sundin and a host of injuries to key players, including team MVP Bryan McCabe and leading goal scorer Darcy Tucker. The Leafs' 4-3 overtime loss to Montreal at home on Saturday night was their eighth in a row, the longest in Quinn's tenure in Toronto."

And finally, I wouldn't be surprised if Tarnstrom and Spacek were just picked up to be used in a trade elsewhere. I've heard Buffalo is looking for a defensemen, so I could see Staios, Tarnstrom, or Spacek all being useful for them (and Edmonton willing to trade).

One useful thing about Spacek is that I think he'll take people off their game if play Calgary (or I can hope anyways).

Until then, I will continue dreaming for a miracle at which point KLowe lands Luongo for virtually nothing.

I noticed the Leafs just fell behind the resurging Lightning tonight. Maybe you should try the rally cap method, Mkreku.

And whats up with the Capitals? Ovechkin is out with a groin pull and they have managed to tie the Islanders with half a period to go in the game.

Even though I don't give two squirts of piss for the Leafs ( aside from Sundin) , I am glad their losing streak has come to an end. Just so they are not the headline story of nearly every sports show in the nation. Plus I think Mkreku gained a year or two back on his life, so that's good as well.

edit: and Calgary better hope St.Louis doesn't make the playoffs... :ph34r:

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I noticed the Leafs just fell behind the resurging Lightning tonight. Maybe you should try the rally cap method, Mkreku.

Unless you're psychic, you got to lay off the weed. The Leafs are leading the Lightning 2 - 1.

Anyhow, am I imagining things or has the amount of groin pulls and strains gone up by like a thousand percent since last season? The hockey infirmaries are full of damaged groins from every team! Is it because of the faster style of hockey? Or am I just imagining it all..?

You're right on both counts Mkreku, it is the Buds (cough cough) ahead of the 'Bolts. And it looks like the Caps tanked as well.

I was going to argue for the most part most of these groin pull issues have been involving most of the older players. I was going to say ' out of shape, should have exercised more during the lockout' but with Ovechkin going down now I can't say for sure.

Nowadays you can't even be sure if its a groin pull or the ever dreaded ' sports hernia'... :ph34r:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

What another disappointing night for all the Flames fans here on the board.. Calgary sucks in shootout's , perhaps Calgary should not put Iginla in them :wub:

And on another note Calgary makes a deal with Phoenix - Reinprecht and Sauve traded to Phoenix for Boucher and Leclerc

Here's the stats

Boucher- 11games 3.87g.a.a, 3wins 6loses 0.877save percentage

Leclerc- 35games 9goals, 12 assists 21points +1

had 1 20goal seaon in Anaheim a few years back

good backup for Kipper , Leclerc is a gritty forward not sure how this how this helps our scoring woes.. I don't think Calgary is done hopefully Oli Jokinen will come to Calgary ;)

What another disappointing night for the only Flames fan here on the board.. Calgary sucks

fixed

At least your team has played this week. The other Oiler fan and I have to ride on the coat-tails of our three game winning streak. And do I have to remind you we still need a real goalie?

And I am the only one wishing the Olympics could happen next year? This season has been too interesting to take a break for international competition, it seems.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif