CIV Discussion

Jumjalum

Week days are actually better for me. Some weekends could be fine. As soon as I get the game. :'(

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I will contribute nothing, and say that I don't particularly care about AI vs postponement.

It is just a game, so if I had to choose, I'd say choose what makes most people happy...which is playing the game. Just make sure that the AI is set to Diety for them :lol:

Depending on how many people can't make it of course (and how many are playing).

• 2 weeks later...

CIV4 GAMING SESSION

When: Saturday, February 4th. This will go on a weekly basis from now on, every Saturday.

What time, stupid?: 9PM GMT. This means 4PM EST, 1PM PST. Calculate your time to make sure it's correct.

The session will consist of a FREE-FOR-ALL game. No permanent alliances, no metagaming, no griefing. This means no allying with a forum friend just to get an advantage over everyone else. If you're thinking of doing this, DO NOT sign up.

Diplomacy will consist of more than just the in-game interface. Since we're all real human beings with real human emotions and the capacity to write real human messages, we can use out-of-game communication systems to negotiate. Forum PMing works. Xfire IMing works. Since this involves out-of-game mechanics, you can't *guarantee* everything, so it will be based on how much you trust the other person WITHIN the game. Allying against a common threat doesn't mean you won't be ambushed by your ally sometime soon. Trust can also be use for further diplomacy. If you find that one player can't be trusted too much, you'll be more wary further along the session.

Please, sign up only if you're almost sure to be able to make it every Saturday from now on. Hopefully, the sessions will last at least 2-3 hrs per week. If you *do* have to miss one session, we'll have you replaced by AI, unless you ask a friend to fill up for you.

Xfire is pretty much a must, in order for me to better coordinate gaming sessions. It's about time we take advantage of the Obs Xfire network.

Hopefully, we can get around 6-10 players. Or possibly more.

Game on!

Also, we should probably decide who reserves which leader from here.

Current players:

1) Llyranor

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Ah, yes, the time is negotiable, depending on the majority's preference. The day isn't as much. Saturday is pretty much the only day where I can ensure consistent availability (though, of course, nothing is 100%).

Hadescopy.jpg

In I'm. Err, I mean I'm in.

Can we negotiate the time a little some weeks so I can go out and get pissed?

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

This would use simultaneous turns. No time limit, but I trust you guys wouldn't just go waste everyone else's time, or I will murder you.

Raging barbarians!

Gamesize and world type isn't really that important. Everyone will adapt anyway. It'll depend on the number of players as well.

As for the leaders, I had suggested you guys pick them. It would be first-come first-serve, though. Random leaders sounds like a good idea, though. Any thoughts?

Hadescopy.jpg

I like Random leaders. Prevent people from forumulating a coherent strategy until the game actually starts. Plus it livens up the experience, as all are on equal footing then.

Raging Barbarians eh? I've yet to play with that mode on.

Marathon speed of course? :D

Hmm, I don't like Marathon that much. It feels artificially lengthened. Given that it wasn't planned in the original game, I'm not too surprised.

I'm quite impartial to Epic mode myself. Thoughts?

Raging barbarians are pretty fun, though. It also means the early game is very dangerous. You'll have swordsmen attacking you in no time, so a good defense is mandatory.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

In that case, I may have to ally with someone just to fight the barbarians.

Random races sounds better imo, they're all pretty good if you know what to do.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I know with the latest patch they already seem pretty raging without that. I couldn't imagine WITH it :D

I typically prefer longer game times, as it lets you use your units longer before they go obsolete, but I'm game for any speed.

I like long game times too, hence why I like epic. Like I said, marathon feels *artificially* lengthened, though. But that's just me. We could easily go marathon if people want it.

We can also remove raging barbs if you guys want. Not too much of a bother, just an extra challenge to building up your civ. Instead of just being a nuisance, they're actually threatening. I've lost cities or almost lost games because of trying to improve too fast without sufficient defense.

Hadescopy.jpg

Okay.

Raging barbarians.

Epic game speed.

Random leaders.

Era: Ancient.

World: Balanced?

Climate: Temperate or tropical?

Size: depends on # players

Sea level: I don't care.

All victories will be enables, unless there are objections.

Hadescopy.jpg