How many Japanese?

Meshugger

What are people referring to when they complain about Japanese games being "anime"? I mean it's like complaining that western games are too Hollywood.

Take the Metal Gear Solid games (not RPGs). The only think about these games that has ever been described as "anime" is the strange assortment of boss characters. So if the only problem you have with "anime" games is cartoon characters with big eyes, you wouldn't have a problem with this game, but if you dislike Japanese oddity, then you'd probably be annoyed with parts of the game.

Japanese RPGs and Western RPGs really are to very different beasts (and I'm ignoring the variations within them, afterall, ToEE is a totally different game to Bloodlines), but just because you like RPGs doesn't mean you'll like both. Ultimately I think if a particular type of game isn't your think, you shouldn't feel the need to keep trying them. So for Dhurin, I wouldn't recommend any JRPGs, as they simply don't seem to be your thing.

0% Japanese titles, 100% rest of the world. But since I

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Well if making a game about an Italian plumber that crawls through pipes, stomps on things and grows after eating 'shrooms isn't innovative I don't know what is.

Heck, even the rest of the world got into it which is probably an achievement in itself.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

The genre has changed , that change occured around the time of FFVII. Prior to that there were no in game movies (although there were cutscenes) and the anthologies (FF) have had movies added.

Even with the FF series, the game system is different from game to game. FFX-2 is pretty non typical for a JRPG for a number of reasons. It has a female party , it's non linear in nature. How you play will impact on your final "reward" you need to score in the 90's to get the full scene.

It's similiar in many ways to the Suikoden series. You only get the good ending if you recruit all 108 stars (NPC's)

So to say JRPGs dont have choices, isnt really correct. Rather they dont have obvious choices that you just pick from a menu. Although again there are exceptions. Shadow Hearts II has two distinct endings, although the wording of the options is kind of subtle.

Shin Megami:Nocturne has 8 endings. Six normal and two secret, which again depend on how you play the game. The game has an absolutely INSANE encounter rather though.

So in a nutshell, aside from the dramatic cutscenes (which are very common and almost universal) JRPGs are very different from each other. For every stereotype you can find an exception.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

@Haitoku - thanks, I'll see if I can organise one of those titles. I notice none of them a new-ish or even this last generation...why is that? Are they not as good as the older games or is the genre changing?

The jRPG genre for PS2 (a lot of games, not all) warped from it's traditional gameplay and transformed into a little more then an interactive movie. You said you didn't like that much. So I suggest some titles from the previews (in my opinion, best) generation.

Actually, i've noticed something. JRPG lovers are not happy because they are starving for more traditional JRPGs. Same for CRPG lovers. They are bitching about how CRPGs became simple and action oriented.

CRPGs and JRPGs are very different but at the same time very similar for that reason.

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

Actually, i've noticed something. JRPG lovers are not happy because they are starving for more traditional JRPGs. Same for CRPG lovers. They are bitching about how CRPGs became simple and action oriented.

CRPGs and JRPGs are very different but at the same time very similar for that reason.

Although the early JRPGs while playable are really nothing to write home about in the story department.

What I have found in most cases is that JRPGs have linear and very heavy story based intro's then mid game you get to go off and explore the map, find the secrets or whatever else takes your fancy. At this point the cutscenes all but vanish.

Then its back to the story for the "end game".

If you want something without cutscenes, then the handheld versions are a good place to start.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So to say JRPGs dont have choices, isnt really correct. Rather they dont have obvious choices that you just pick from a menu. Although again there are exceptions. Shadow Hearts II has two distinct endings, although the wording of the options is kind of subtle.

So in a nutshell, aside from the dramatic cutscenes (which are very common and almost universal) JRPGs are very different from each other. For every stereotype you can find an exception.

Is that post aimed at me? The only stereotype I commented on was the common androgenous angsty teenage protagonists and I asked for examples of those that didn't that I might look into.

@Haitoku - yes, I realise you picked games that might suit me (thanks). I was curious if JRPG fans saw the genre as changing and it seems that's the case.

Is that post aimed at me?  The only stereotype I commented on was the common androgenous angsty teenage protagonists and I asked for examples of those that didn't that I might look into.

@Haitoku - yes, I realise you picked games that might suit me (thanks).  I was curious if JRPG fans saw the genre as changing and it seems that's the case.

Not particularly I always quote the post unless it's just general stuff.

478327[/snapback]

Could we please try to discuss the topic at hand. If there is a desire to break out on a tangent, please feel free to do so by beginning a new thread in the appropriate forum.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: