Just play DX in "realistic"

It would be

Headshot = dead

Bodyshot = dead

Legs = Slower waling

Arms = Reduced Accuracy

...Sounds decidedly un-fun. :)

A fighting chance would be appreciable.

Yes, I own CoD 2. I love it. Beautiful scenery, great events, nice voice acting...etc. If you're going to get this game, for god sakes, get it for PC. Aiming is so much easier...either that, or I'm talented. Hell, I can nail 5 people in 5 shots with my faaaaaavorite gun, the Kar. :lol:

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

CoD 2 is a guns'a'blazin' type of game.

What works for one genre doesn't for another. ^_^

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Yes, I own CoD 2. I love it. Beautiful scenery, great events, nice voice acting...etc. If you're going to get this game, for god sakes, get it for PC. Aiming is so much easier...either that, or I'm talented. Hell, I can nail 5 people in 5 shots with my faaaaaavorite gun, the Kar.  ;)

I have it for the PC... if your trying to run and gun (which is almost required so you can survive) you can't hit squat. I tried multiplayer and got disguested when I was fighting sombody and literally standing so that we could smell eachothers breath, and not being able to hit the guy with a submachine gun, while he takes out a rifle and oneshot's me.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I have it for the PC... if your trying to run and gun (which is almost required so you can survive) you can't hit squat. I tried multiplayer and got disguested when I was fighting sombody and literally standing so that we could smell eachothers breath, and not being able to hit the guy with a submachine gun, while he takes out a rifle and oneshot's me.

I haven't had that problem. Use the sights when need be, or fire in bursts. Full-auto isn't your friend when using an MG. ;)

- Everlast

Unless realism is the aim in the first place, No it isn't. ;)

- Everlast

I havnt played many of these but I've found the rifles better than the (S)MG's mos of the time. The suppresion thing dosnt seem to work in most which renders the main purpose of the weapon null. They did work really well in Hill 30 (think that was it) where you could supress with an MG and then send people around to flank.

I went through TBRO almost entirely with a rifle, got really good at shooting people in the face too from long range. ;)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So, Juhani is in it.  Interesting.  I didn't think there were any Cathar in WW2 Europe.  :)

Maybe no Cathar, but there were lots and lots of female Soviet soldiers - and the fair Courtney Taylor voices them all ;)

In the game at least - and slightly higher pitched actually than Juhani. But fur aside, they're very similar characters :cool:

A couple of points though, I disagree with Operation Flashpoint not having much delivery - it could punch very hard some times. I certainly love it's openness and cannot wait for Armed Assault (think OFP 1.5) to come our way.

But it's interesting what you say about scripting - CoD and MoH are heavily scripted, but from the Previews of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it should be possible in the future for a completely unscripted event to come and take your breath away. Sure, in STALKER, you may suddenly be set upon by a large group of mutants, only to be saved by two patrols of soldiers charging in and fighting them off - impressive, but the mutants only attacked you because they felt hungry, and felt they could take you without serious danger - and that the military types just happened to be doing their routine patrol at the time. Nothing like "step past tree #3 - spawn 6x Nazis". I personally think that's where many FPS's can and I think will go - it's certainly - from what I understand - the route the complete sequal to Operation Flashpoint is going. There was certainly promise that for CoD2 there would be more flexability in the enemy attack - for instance, attack a town, the guards on the otherside filter across from the other side of the town. Unfortunately, I didn't see that in the full game - it still seemed spawn and wave based.

@Calax: to be honest, you SHOULDN'T be able to hit squat if you run and gun - though I agree there should be a difference in speed levels to make moving quickly and still firing effectively more easier - Hidden & Dangerous 2 did this well - you can control the speed of your men with the mouse wheel - you could also creep forward more easier as well then. That said, I don't just spray everything in CoD2, I actually usually stand back and pick them off with one of the bolt-action rifles - ie, Lee Enfield or Mosin-Nagant rather than Thompson or whatever. But that's just how I played the game.

alanschu,

Just play DX in "realistic"

It would be

Headshot = dead

Bodyshot = dead

Legs = Slower waling

Arms = Reduced Accuracy

Headshot/Bodyshot only equal dead with some weapons though. Typically the sniper rifle and the MJ12 commandos. Even on the "realistic" mode of Deus Ex, you can still survive a shot to the face from a pistol. And you only walked slower if you had both of your legs shot out (which put you into a permanent crouch).

However, I typically play those games in a sneaking manner, and even then there is a wide variety of ways for a player to prevent one-shot headshots/bodyshots given the buffs and armor and whatnot you can utilize. However, it's a specific difficulty level, and approrpiately the hardest difficulty.

I agree that they are different style games though. "Realism" in that game is a bit bizarre though, as who really knows how a nano-augmented person really acts ;)

Headshot/Bodyshot only equal dead with some weapons though.  Typically the sniper rifle and the MJ12 commandos.  Even on the "realistic" mode of Deus Ex, you can still survive a shot to the face from a pistol.  And you only walked slower if you had both of your legs shot out (which put you into a permanent crouch).

Also a tranq anywhere = instant death.

Pistol shot; depends on the distance I think. A close shot and you will be pretty dead.

And that slower "if only both legs are lost" was added in one of the patches. Why? Dunno...

I don't recall the patch making a difference, but it's been soooo long since I've played it without the patch.

Tranquilizers anywhere don't = instant death. They poison you and you slowly lose health on your body.

I guarantee you that you can still take pistol shots to the head on realistic though. I doubly guarantee you that you can survive headshots from the assault rifle, which has a ridiculously low base damage (3 I think). I've gone into many fights without the buffs against weaker weapons and sustained damage to the head. I don't know if Deus Ex took range into consideration (it is an older game), and I doubt if it reduced damage for glancing shots.

The sniper areas were tough though, but the game's AI is less than stellar, which gives you ample time to get away before they even recognize you (this is based on distance however). The dumb AI is probably a "good" thing though.....if they could see as well as we can, it'd be impossible to play the game from a sneaking perspective. I find this to be the norm in all "sneaking" type games:

In MGS the enemies have particulaly short and narrow vision cones. Deus Ex the badguys have better hearing than they do vision. Thief is the same way. Splinter Cell is probably the "best" for the AI noticing you, as it has a distance to observability measure. You can be in brighter areas farther away, but in bright light you'll always be spotted if he's looking at you. However, they don't recognize silhouettes, as you can be in a completely "dark" area, with bright all around you, and never be spotted.

I wonder how enjoyable these games would be though if the AI passed the Turing test.

Yes. Tranqs on Realistic WILL kill you.

The first shot will damage on the location of impact. The poison than does it work on the BODY part. On easy it already be about 50 damage there (depends on lvl of medical though). Now think it Realistic and you are dead (unless a really high level in medical).

I am pretty sure the tranq guards on Liberty Island killed me on Hard with a single shot. Damn, they even did in Easy if the dart hit in the body in combination with a pistol shot in the body...

And patch

Balancing/Features:

Targeting augmentation now displays hit location at which you are aiming (head/torso/leg).

Throwing knife does 17 base damage instead of 25.

Plasma does 8 base damage instead of 12.

Energy shield blocks 50% of damage instead of 80%. Drains 25 energy per minute instead of 40.

You can now chat while dead, while at the end of a match, or while logged into a computer.

Checkboxes on the join game screen are now slightly more user friendly. Turning off one of team/non-team also turns off the "show-all" checkbox.

A GEP gun no longer maintains its lock while reloading. You must get a fresh lock for every shot.

Leg damage no longer slows you down (unless you completely lose them)

In team games, you should be less likely to spawn into battles between teammates and enemies.

Added functionality so that administrators can more easily kick the players that they intend to kick. (See MP Administration doc)

I was thinking more of stray pistol rounds, turrets and such. Actually I was playing on realistic a couple of days ago and JC survived a couple of  rounds to the head by about two health points.

Totally missed this one.

Yes, that can be as (like Alanschu also noted) these weapons (like the assault gun) just do minor damage per hit. The real threat is from the amount of these bullets that can be shot.

Just compare headshotkilling with a pistol and a assaultgun. Pistol needs 1 round (easily managed with lvl 2 pistols), assault gun needs 5 (all hit, which usually requires about lvl 3 Rifles and mods)

My bad on the pistol shots.  Headshots do seem to kill, at least from close range.

Though I could take a body shot.  However, I took zero damage from the impact of the tranquilizer darts.  I had to let it drain my health away.

No damage from the tranqs? :( How did you even be able to check that anyway, since the first burst of damage is VERY shortly after impact?