Thanks for Being a Bunch of Assmonkies Dell

Child of Flame

About two years ago I purchased a Notebook from Dell. It was quite decent, high end for it's time even, dropped about $2k on it with the included goodies. Lasted about a year and a half, no problems, as soon as the warranty expired I installed a new CPU and doubled it's RAM confident enough in my abilities by then to monkey around inside that delicate little chassis. Then, about six months ago, due to the nature of how I had been using it, abroad mostly, carried in my backpack/case, the fan on the bottom died.

It still works okay, for text editing, and internet, and music playback and such, but if I throw anything more complicated than an emulator at it it starts to slow down pretty badly. Even old IE games are now giving it grief, and while it's still good enough for the schoolwork that I used to justify the purchase of it with, it's not fun having a crippled system. Not willing to pay the 300 or so dollars Dell would want for me to ship it to them and have them fix it when I'm perfectly capable, I started looking for a new fan.

Unfortunately, I found that notebook parts are really hard to find online. Especially ones that are included in premanufactured platforms. You'd think this crap would be standardized by now, but it's not. Finally, in the Yirmumah forums, I came across a poster (Rasputin) who mentioned in passing that he repairs Dell systems for a living, and is in fact certified by them to do so. I asked him where he gets his parts, or if he'd know of a place where I could find a replacement fan, and he informed me he gets all his parts from Dell, and the only place he knew of to get a new fan was eBay.

Normally I am not averse to eBay, but in this case I am just a little bit. There are not one, but three fans in the notebook, two for general cooling and one is the heatsink/CPU fan. Half of the sellers don't even bother to include pictures, and when they're two case fans, both very different shapes and sizes, and no picture, how the hell am I supposed to know what they're talking about? It looks as if I've gotten lucky this time, as I've found one with a But It Now price of $20. But then again, it's used, and not even refurbed, just yoinked out of a laptop with a busted Mobo, so who's to say how long it will last.

I understand the business logic behind not selling their parts, means anyone who needs new ones and is having the same difficulties as I am locating them has to send their computer in to their technicians and shell out large amounts of cash, but for the love of God, it's a freaking notebook, it's not like that many people have the guts to mess around inside them extensively anyway.

Anyhow, a lesson learned, Dell are a bunch of jackasses who don't give a crap about their customers, and I'm building a Whitebox notebook that I can upgrade and repair indefinitely next time I need one.

You shouldn't have to when you can fix it yourself though.

I bought from them because it was cheapest for what I wanted at the time with some of the promotions they were running, and I figured I could learn how to fix and upgrade anything on it. I did learn how, but because they're stingy with their proprietary parts, and only give them to their techs, there's no way for me to get stuff to fix it with other than used parts that may or may not work well at eBay.

Dell are a bunch of stoners. I thought you would have got that idea back when they used to have that commercial with stoner dude in it. Buy HP next time. I've owned two of them and no major problems.

My last two computers have been Dells (desktop and a laptop) and I've not had any major problems with either (other than user stupidity), and I've beat the hell out of this laptop. I take it everywhere and it's over two years old now and still running fine.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You shouldn't have to when you can fix it yourself though.

I bought from them because it was cheapest for what I wanted at the time with some of the promotions they were running, and I figured I could learn how to fix and upgrade anything on it.  I did learn how, but because they're stingy with their proprietary parts, and only give them to their techs, there's no way for me to get stuff to fix it with other than used parts that may or may not work well at eBay.

Capitalist pigs! :ermm: No but really, that would frustrate me too. Sounds like you might as well buy a new car if your radiator is screwed right? right???? I guess thats just me then.

Sorry im feeling weird :)

Just throw a brick through one of there store windows.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I've learned the hardway before that you want to get the warrenty for as long as you tend on using the product. 3 year warrenty on even my IPod.

A warranty is only as good as the company that backs it up--and unfortunately Dell has fallen a long, long way. The last system I bought from them still has part of a three-year service contract on it, but IMO it was a big waste of money. The machine shipped with a DVD writer that didn't work. Period. Everybody who had a machine with that 'Dell special' drive had the same problem, a fact that was well-documented on their own forums. By the time I got finished exchanging e-mails and then explaining that ten times to ten different people, all in India, I could've repaired it myself ten times over--and not had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. It was at that point that I gave up, bought a new drive from Newegg, and put it in myself. The drive itself wasn't any big thing--it was the principle. I paid for a service contract. These people either didn't know the difference between hardware and software, or they wanted to make it so inconvenient and time-consuming to actually use their 'service', that most people give up trying.

A big BOO to Dell, who has seen the last of this customer. I think their big business contracts are all they care about.

Is this characteristic of Dell, or characteristic of laptops?  I've hardly ever seen Laptop parts for any kind of manufacturer.

Its true of all Laptop manufacturers, you can buy RAM, extra batteries or even a Hardrive or dvd but specific parts like fans are a no-go.

And why does everyone call them "notebooks" now? Wasnt "laptop" flashy enough?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thankfully we Swedes have our own word for them "b

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Of course I don't have to mention Electronic hardware stores (with those non-computer related electronic gadget thingies and transistors) as a source for cooling fans, because you've probably already been all over them I guess...

My first and last branded pre-made computer was a 386SX AST ('Victor Bravo' or something) computer in the early nineties, which taught me once and for all that that is simply too stupid to bother with... Home made or 100% custom-builds that's the way.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Its just that the whole DIY approach to laptops is a little complicated.. infinetly more than with a regular PC